“An unspoiled gem!”

Hotel Restaurant La Mere Poulard
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Mont-St-Michel is one of the most charming places I have ever visited - the perfect place to get away and absorb a bit of history. La Mere Poulard, for its part, was the highlight of my visit. The warm reception from all of the staff, the breathtaking views and the simply stunning food; it's hard to pick just one highlight.

As a family we're agreed; this was a stay that left us feeling like we didn't have a care in the world. Something tells me we'll be making a return trip very soon!

Room Tip: Take your pick - but the ground floor offers the best views in my opinion!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

If you are in the north of France, stay here. The hotel is on the island so you do not have to leave early. Walk around enjoy it. Outside our room was a plaque with a picture of Ernest Hemingway who stayed here during WWII when the hotel was commandeered for troop quarters. He said the omlets were amazing and they still are. This is a very comfortable hotel with a super location and the food was the best we found in France (where a lot tasted to me like microwaved frozen). Leave the windows open and feel the sea breeze and hear the seagulls. France is expensive everywhere - why not live a little and get something for your money.

Room Tip: No elevator so if you have health problems ask for a lower floor. We were on the 4th but no problem...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My family and I truly enjoyed our stay at La Mere Poulard. Some friends of ours stayed there last year and loved it. They recommended us to stay there and we are so glad that we did. From the time we arrived until the time we left, we felt well welcomed. The room and common areas were clean. The staff gave us some good suggestions of things to see in the area; things only locals would know about. We really liked our stay and would recommend it to others.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Trevor J
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The La Mere Poulard is a wonderful Restaurant with a pleasing variety of local foods. What is offered on the Menu is sure to please! If you enjoy delicious dishes prepared with care and served with you in mind, you must visit the La Mere Poulard. The atmosphere is cozy and comfortable and the servers are very polite. You will enjoy your dining experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have noticed that some of the reviews have mentioned how inconvenient La Mere Poulard is in terms of getting to your hotel and then to your room. I actually see this as an adventure! We found that our luggage could fairly easily roll up the stairs, and we didn’t miss having an elevator too much. In fact, after eating such delicious food, it was probably better for us to get in those extra steps!

The hotel is nestled on a beautiful island within an ancient village in France! Honestly, it couldn’t be more romantic. My husband and I found that the rooms were very comfortable, and easily exceeded all of our expectations. Also, as I previously mentioned, our food was delicious. We especially enjoyed the buffet for breakfast because we were able to sample such a wide variety of food!

The hotel is in a beautiful town that has quite a bit of entertainment. We aren’t the type of people who need a ton of nightlife to keep us entertained, and we found that Mont-St-Michel had the perfect blend of entertainment and calming times.

I would be remiss if I didn’t briefly mention how accommodating the hotel’s staff was. They truly went above and beyond to give us a beautiful and memorable vacation. We cannot wait to return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

If you go to Mt. St Michel in July the best option is to get an hotel inside the rock island. Why? 1.- getting to mont St Michel from parking lot is a 30 to 35 minutes walk or a 5 minutes walk to bus shuttle plus 5 minutes ride to the Mont.
Problem is that on July they have night activities at the abbey so you really want to be at walking distance. I am not sure at what time the shuttle stops his service but we went to a night concert and after we went out (10:30) the roads inside were desert. That allowed us to enjoy the views and place without the flow of people it has during the day. La mere Poulard is one of the lest expensive options inside and has a great history. Nice, clean rooms with comfortable bead and nice bathroom.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Compasstraveler06
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Mostly, trip advisor reviews have been very informative, usually including relevant information often omitted in hotel descriptions. While the descriptions of La Mere Poulard are correct, the first four current reviews give you no indication of what you have to do to get to your room. First you have to call the hotel from a car park off the island (which I found out from a parking attendant), get a code to get into the closest car park (otherwise you would park much further), take a long walk to a shuttle (several hundred meters) with your luggage (no chance of dropping it near the shuttle) to be dropped by the shuttle near Mont St. Michel at a stop with no cover (if it is raining, this matters), and then walk 400 meters over rough ground next to major construction onto Mont St. Michel. Trip Advisor also needs to update their description of Mont St. Michel. The new bridge was not finished in 2012 - construction continues in July 2014.

Fortunately, La Mere Poulard is the very first building once you are within the walls of this charming medieval town. The rooms start on the 3rd floor (4th floor for USA) with - you guessed it - no lift. None of this was on any website descriptions of the hotel (trip advisor, booking.com, La Mere Poulard) nor in any review. So my advice is to stay at the Relais Saint Michel, leave your luggage in your room, and take the shuttle which stops right next to the front door, although the cost is in the 200-400 euro per night range.

La Mere Poulard is very nice. The employees are nice and polite, especially the guy who very willingly carried up my suitcase. The room is spacious, charming and the wifi pretty good (although totally open - no password). I expect the famous omelettes are as good as they were 46 years ago, when I first visited. But don't expect to sleep late, with major construction going on outside your window.

Various websites said that public parking is available nearby for 12.3 Euros. This does not fit any definition of nearby I am aware of.

Unfortunately, I discovered the true parking situation when I arrived at the parking areas in a downpour. This meant I had to repack my carryon and leave my main suitcase in the car in the pouring rain, wait out a downpour that finally became light rain, and walk with my luggage on the aforementioned path. Had I known, I would have considered staying on the mainland, preferably at a hotel with a shuttle stop, like Relais Saint Michel. Although even their website says it is a two minute drive to the Mont, implying that you can drive here, which you cannot. There are a few cars here. I'd love to know what you have to do to be able to drive here. My guess is that you have to be a construction worker or maybe live here.

Fortunately, Mont St. Michel is still the magical charming place it was in 1968 and probably better with so few cars. If only the descriptions could be honest about the situation so people can be prepared!! And I urge Trip Advisor to update their description of the hotel to include what it actually takes to get to the hotel on the hotel site. And the description of the Mont itself should also include the parking situation and that the bridge is still not finished as of July 2014.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the construction, if there are any.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends