“Grand for one night ”

and 1 more site!
La Vieille Auberge
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I viewed our stay on MSM with trepidation as the reviews are so
Mixed. However I am happy to report that while the Auberge is not luxurious, it is comfortable and perfect for one night on the island.
I am writing this review in bed and I have to say I am more than happy with the accomodation. The room is clean, the shower is hot and rte bed is comfortable. As we are staying on the rock, we were able to walk the streets and ramparts with no crowds after 6.00. We are planning on visiting the Abbey at 9.00 in the morning before the hordes arrive so a stay is to be recommended.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank Gary W

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was somewhat dreading staying overnight on Mont St. Michel b/c of all of the bad reviews but my husband and I had a wonderful time! It was easy to park the car, take the shuttle to about 1/4 mile away from the entrance and get to the hotel. We checked in at the restaurant desk and a young man carried our belongings up the stairs (not all that many) to Room 211. The room appeared to be recently refurbished. It was very clean with a wonderful view, crisp linens and a huge bathroom.
If you plan to use the computer, they send you via email the wifi code. We were unable to check our email because we were traveling, so we could not use the computer.
We had dinner at the Mouton Blanc. It was delicious, service excellent and the price just fine. It was so nice to just enjoy dinner and not worry about driving home. It was raining so perhaps fewer people were out walking after dinner but it was like we had the whole place to ourselves.
The room was a perfect temperature, very quiet and compfortable. We received a wake-up call right on time.
I would highly recommend this hotel, especially this room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank buprofessor
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Unfortunately, the place is really really bad, dirty, old, smelly and we did spent a lot of money. Sadly I have to say that the whole Mont-St-Michel looked kind of dirty, we had breakfast in a place full of bird's poop everywhere, thank God we didn't get anything. And this is supposed to be the second most visited place of the whole France, come on, work on it! So my advice is prepare yourself if, like us, you want to spend the night on Mont-St-Michel, I don't think the other places will be cleaner...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onofvv
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I'm giving it very good rating due to our view of the ramparts and water - sure, the room wasn't the Ritz, but the whole atmosphere of the island, the abbey, narrow streets, etc. We had a small room with a low roof and random height ceiling (low), and the window within room faced the sky, but the bathroom view was fabulous looking over the ramparts out the water (one downside is that if we were standing almost anywhere including walking out of the shower, we would give the people walking below a peep show - I noticed that when we walked below. Problem solved by hanging a coat and towel over the window while showering. The other downside was that I couldn't find the WiFi login listed anywhere.) Take a very small bag, truly, a tiny carry on or gym bag. Yes - once the daytime visitors arrive, it's shuffle shuffle shuffle up a narrow passage jammed with people, but at night, it's magical. If you can, visit the abbey to view Laudes early morning; I didn't want to make the climb twice, but I'm kicking myself for not going. I didn't even hear the bells; we heard the rattling of deliveries in the streets, but it didn't really disturb us. Our dinner at Croix Blanche was tasty, and we have a lovely view of the water.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Anon58759
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed at the annexe which is just below the entrance of the abbey. Waking up at 7:00 am, just before sunrise and walking up the steps to attend the morning service is one of the beautiful moments that you can experience staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Four_Parisians
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Here's the dilemma. Mont St. Michel is truly a unique place on this planet. It's setting, history and importance are unquestioned, and it should be a must-see on every French traveler's itinerary. Conversely, the Mont itself is horribly overcrowded by tourists; the accommodations on the Mont are lackluster (Vieille Auberge is no exception); the food is beyond subpar; and, everything on the Mont is ridiculously overpriced. We also got completely drenched walking the 200 yards from our car to the shuttle stop, and the 800 yards or so from the shuttle terminus to the Mont, in a driving rainstorm, but that's a different story. If we had it to do over again, we'd stay somewhere away from MSM (Dinan is lovely, Bayeux a bit further but terrific), make a day trip there, and wear titanium armorplate to deal with the crowds. As to Vieille Auberge itself, we stayed in the annex, small room, overpriced, nothing remarkable, indifferent staff, which as near as we could tell is essentially the norm there. By all means visit MSM -- just don't stay there, whether it's Vieille Auberge or anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jakester88
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Staying the night inside the walls of Mont Saint Michel is one of a kind experience! If you consider travelling to Mont Saint Michel, you should spend one night in one of the few hotels inside the walls.
This hotel is quite simple. We got a room with good view and nice facilities. You have to access the restaurant (same name) and they guide you to one of the rooms (not all the rooms are in the same building as the restaurant). The staff could be more supportive.
Overall experience is good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple