“Basic room in amazing setting”
Review of La Vieille Auberge

and 1 more site!
La Vieille Auberge
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Mont-Saint-Michel
Reviewed 13 November 2010

We stayed in the "annex" of La Vielle Auberge, which is a building across the street from the hotel. To get to the room, we needed to walk up several small cobblestone paths toward the abbey. (Bring a small suitcase!) The entrance to the building has a great view up to the abbey.

The room was small and basic, but comfortable. The small window overlooked the main "street" and the bay. The room included a new flat-screen TV with a few English channels.

Several hotels in Mont St. Michel are owned/operated by the same people. La Vielle Auberge was actually closed when we arrived so we needed to go the Hotel St. Pierre to check in. Because the hotel was closed, we couldn't get access to the internet. Also, it seemed that the restaurants in town closed early (10 pm) on a Friday night.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank g0mntwins
There are newer reviews for La Vieille Auberge

Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed elsewhere on the island, which is a "must do". The food on the island is bad,bad, bad! We stopped here after wlking up to the Monestary and wanted a drink, the doors were open with 5-6 employee's, they showed us to a table, we ordered drinks, which were over-priced compared to other restaurants on the island, I paid and never received any change, I was due 11 Euro's, roughly $15, and way too much to tip for the total bill. I asked for my change and it quickly showed up along with, you need to leave the restaurant we are closing. This was at 530pm. Understanding too that most restaurants do not serve Dinner until 700pm in France wherever you go. We all thought this was very rude unlike everyone else in France had been towards us on this 7 day vacation. We departed but did not like the treatment we received. It may be a bargain to stay here but you cannot get a drink whenever you want.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clark K
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My wife and I stayed here one night in May during a month long visit to France. I had read enumerable terrible reviews of hotels (and restaurants) on Mont St. Michel, so my expectations were properly reduced. However, I had also read that one should stay on the mount and that was absolutely the best advice we could have been given. Stay on the mount!! Come late in the day (preferably after 4:00 p.m. when the tour buses are starting to leave) and leave in the morning (before they arrive), but stay on the mount! With the tourists gone in the evening and the early morning, you have the place to yourself and it is magical! It is a world class site for a reason but the mass of tourists during the midday will make it feel more like Disneyland. We arrived around 5:00 p.m. and immediately dumped our luggage in our room and headed to the abbey. The last admission is at 6:00 p.m. We got in about five minutes before and, as a consequence, were the last people to go through it. It takes about an hour and they keep it open for an hour after it closes its doors. Having a medieval masterpiece to yourself is a unique experience. But as to the hotel, we stayed in room 201 of the “annex” of the La Vielle Auberge Hotel. The hotel itself is on the main street but they have some extra rooms a ways up the hill. Ours was a simple but reasonably comfortable room way up the mount almost to the entrance to the abbey. Very small and nothing fancy but clean and adequate with a functional bathroom. We had a small patio with a view over the bay. We were not far from the bell tower of St. Pierre, which rang softly during the night (and louder during the day). It was not a problem for us. We took our meals at Auberge St. Pierre, which seems to handle bookings and other things for La Vielle Auberge. Because of the bad reviews on restaurants, we opted for half board. It was 100 Euros/person for room, dinner (without wine) and breakfast. And the dinner was actually just fine. Because the room was such a hike, we took what we needed for the evening and the next morning and left the rest of our stuff (out of sight) in the car which was parked in the closest lot on the causeway. (You need to tell the person at the entrance to the parking area that you are spending the night in a hotel on the mount in order to get into the closest lot.) I had worried a little bit about security, but the woman at the hotel said it would not be a problem and it wasn’t. All in all, our overnight Mont St. Michel experience was a treasure.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cal_Prof
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Stayed one evening at La Vieille Auberge (Wed 8/26) and had pre-reserved a room using their website. The website won't actually let you book the room, you have to use email, but we had no issues. The emails were very detailed back and forth.

We arrived right at check in time (1pm) and the host walked us to our room. We did have to climb about 10 steps and the room was nessled away in an old building. Very 'primative', but we really liked where it was located (beside the church (not the abbey) and a cemetary).

The room itself was very basic. Wall paper on the walls and a very small bathroom. I'm a fairly thin female and the shower was a tight squeeze - so beware. No toiletries provided other than a bar of soap.

Bed was pretty comfortable, not the best, but okay for just one night. Bedroom door had a very solid lock which made us feel very safe.

Window opened and a nice cool breeze came directly in. Our room overlooked the main street. It was room 207. We did have ear plugs and they were needed since it was noisy a night (with folks speaking) and in the morning when the restauarant staff getting ready for the day.

Our goal really, was to have a safe / comfortable place to sleep for one night while we were at Mont St Michele and for 85 Euro a night, this is what you get. It was just fine for us and meet our needs.

We did not eat at the restuarant that they also own.

Strees in Mont St Michele are VERY crowded and I personally would recommond staying overnight so you can walk around a night after everyone has left the island.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jenn123444
Reviewed 18 June 2009

We were there on May 31. This hotel was ok even though the bathroom was so outdated and so small that it barely fits one person. But overall we didn't have a problem for a one night stay. After I reading lots of feedback on Mont st michele I was really expecting to see and feel serenity after all the tourists are gone at night. But this island became so commercalized we saw people until late night. Early morning was a true gem in here, with absolutely empty streets (except cleaning crew)like the whole island is asleep.
People started filling up the main street around 9. We truly enjoyed staying on the island and exploring at night. I'd like to visit again someday when tide comes in. I'm sure that is something worthy to watch.
And I Iike to say one thing, all the feedback I've read about how hard a climb it is to the hotel from the parking lot about lots of walking, steep, be prepared, etc we made sure we were prepared for a tough climb. Somehow It scared me greatly. But It turned out to be a complete joke. I was ready to go on long climb but our hotel was already in front of us after few minutes of simple walking. The whole island is walking distance. We climbed the entire island from top to bottom so many times in one afternoon.
So for those who complain about walking here, you must be so out of shape. I'd love to see Mont st michele again someday.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank aprilpyo
Reviewed 14 January 2009

Parking is quite a hike from the island, but I enjoyed the walk and the view of Mont St. Michel. I think the layout of this hotel is most interesting. The rooms are spread out all over the island. You will definitely get a work out going up the medieval Stairmaster to your room. So, pack light. Don’t take heavy suitcases. I totally enjoyed running all over the island to see where the stairs lead me. It’s a great place to explore when the majority of the day tourists leave. During the day, the place can be quite chaotic. The view from my room was spectacular. I could see high tide come into the bay and rush around the island. It was amazing. A stroll on the causeway after dark allows you to see the awesomeness of Mont St Michel. The views are simply breathtaking.

The room was modestly furnished. The wooden beams were a nice touch. I didn’t feel as though my room was very comfortable or a place to relax. It was okay. Although the bathroom looked recently renovated, it was very tiny by European standards. The shower was incredibly small and easy to flood. I spent so much time gathering towels to soak up all of the water. I’m not a big person, but there wasn’t any room to turn around in the shower without bumping into a wall or stepping out of the shower completely. A major issue is that my room lacked air conditioning and was extra small. However, I kept an open mind. The weather was cool during the night so I slept with the windows open and spent my time being adventurous. My friends stayed in a room in another building. Their room was slightly larger with a balcony, but they had bed bugs. I didn’t see any bed bugs in my room, but I was paranoid after that.

The experience was amazing. I think it is a decent place to stay when I consider the memories I gained. I’ll always remember my time there. I recommend this hotel if it is your first time staying on Mont St. Michel. Other than that, I’ll save it as a day trip. The hotel is a good value, but I need more in a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank chintsuu
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Check in at the restaurant La Vielle Auberge on La Grande Rue, and an employee will take you to your room, because the rooms are spread out in various locations over the island. We reserved a room with a panoramic sea view. To find it, we followed our guide a little further up the ancient cobbled street, then plunged through a narrow dark tunnel at the side of the eglise St.-Pierre. We came out in a narrow paved walkway between the back of the buildings on La Grande Rue and a high stone wall. There was a cemetery on the other side of the wall. This route took us around three sides of it, with stairs to climb at each corner. On the third side we left the cemetery and climbed another flight of steps between a stone wall and a stone building. On the stair landing, our guide unlocked a stout wooden door and we entered a hallway. The stone wall was on our right, and our room was down a few steps on the left. It seemed to be a modern hotel room built into an older stone building. The room had a patio door which led to a nice balcony with a sea view, as promised, although we had to look over a few roofs. The room was very warm when we entered, but the air conditioning was efficient. The room was small but adequate, the bed was large, and the bathroom was modern and roomy.

After unpacking we continued up the rest of the stairs to find we were near the entrance to the abbey. We had a marvelous time taking tours and exploring the island, which is very crowded and touristy during the day, very peaceful in the evening, and down right spooky after dark.

We tried the restaurant La Vielle Auberge that evening. The waitstaff were very pleasant and accommodating, when we wanted to share the dessert, for example. The food was good, in general, but we were a little disappointed with the Marie Poullard Omelet, which is much like a soufle, but very bland.

As recommended, we repacked before arriving at Mont St-Michel so we would have only one suitcase. Because of the very crowded street and numerous stairs, it was very good advice. Our one disappointment (although we had checked the tide schedule in advance and were aware of this situtation) was that the sea did not reach the Mont at the time of the month we visited, but was surrounded by gray slimy mud flats. If I were to go again, I would definitely plan my trip to arrive there when the tides rush in "at the speed of galloping horses."

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple