“'Wonderful, wonderful experience and hostess'”

Maison d'hotes Le Quatorze
Ranked #2 of 15 Amiens B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“'Wonderful, wonderful experience and hostess'”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We had a wonderful stay with Laure earlier this year. What a wonderful host. As others have said she makes you welcome and it is such a homely B&B. Laure is definitely in the right job as she is such a warm and friendly person to us and the others who stayed while we were there. It is definitely a fantastic base as someone else has said for the Battlefield Tour of the Somme.(That tour is such a worthwhile and moving experience - every Australian should do it). Laure cannot do enough for you. My brother needs to have a gluten -free diet and once Laure found this out she said she would get her baker to bake some gluten-free bread for him, which she did. We chatted at length and she gave us wonderful information about the town and a history lesson concerning the buildings and the street names. On the day we were leaving it started to rain so we asked Laure if we could ring a taxi. No - Laure said she would drive us for which we were very grateful. No hesitation in recommending Laure's B&B to anyone. Her hospitality was so lovely to experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank calc25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Verona, Italy
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I passed two nights at this b&b and i confirm the good reviews from other guests.

The house has an "old looking charme", with creaky floors, wooden doors and old furnitures. Everything was very clean and well kept.

My room was on the 2nd floor with adjacent bathroom. I liked the "homing" touch of adding old pictures which contribute to the charming atmosphere.

Breakfast is typical french, with croissants, bread and jams; it's served in the common living room which is always accessible, as is the kitchen (for a cup of tea or even to cook a meal).

Despite having a family to look after, Laure manages to be a great host: welcoming, full of advices on tours, on what to see and where to eat.
She gave me some valuable guides on the IWW battlefields and good advices on restaurants (La Clef des Champs, just across the main road is a great choise in the neighborhood).

The only downside is that the b&b is a 15min walk from the city centre but, if walking is not an option for you, bus is frequent and nearby and there are even free bikes.

Room Tip: Stairs are steep, if you think you may have problems just ask for a room on the lower floors
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Laure has created a beautiful little B&B. Our 2 family group of seven had a very comfortable night and a great breakfast. Parking in the street was easy and it was great to have access to a kitchen , dining room and lounge that were larger than a hotel room. Enjoyrd our one night stay very much.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ScaryWatson
Bath
Reviewed 4 February 2013

Laure is a fantastic host, she greeted us and introduced us to her home and showed us all the amenities. We were the only guests the night we stayed and we made use of the bicycles Laure has at the house (without the bicycles it's about 15/20 minutes walk from the train station). The room we stayed in was clean, perfectly decorated and we both slept like a logs! The decor is brilliant, breakfast is amazing! I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George1508
west midalnds uk
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We stayed one night here recently and found it mixed, hence the 3 stars (i.e. average)

Called one hour in advance of arriving and were told that the owner would meet us there. When we arrived, we called her but got no answer. We rang the door bell and a resident let us in and then a few minutes later another resident, who spoke English, gave us our key saying that the owner had to leave. This was pretty unconfortable. It was all explained in the morning by the owner (who speaks excellent English) but I was a little miffed that I wasn't called the night before to explain that someone would give me the keys and I felt pretty uneasy at leaving things in the room.

On the plus side, it's very clean and pretty.

On the minus the floor boards are very loud and sound travels - having said that, my sleep wasn't broken until around 7am (but that's still too early on holiday). It's also a bit of a walk into town (we didn't mind, but others might) and the parking is very scant.

So all in all, it depends on your requirements - if you sleep easily and don't have a car and like walking then it's probably fine!!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BobbyBillyClint
lequatorze, Propriétaire at Maison d'hotes Le Quatorze, responded to this review, 26 September 2012
I am very sad to read your review, because I try to do the maximum for my guests. That evening, I had an important meeting at the school of my little boy, from 18:30 to 20:30. I asked you if you could get before, but you got to 19h. This is why I asked other guests to open. I have a family and children, it is rare that I am not available, but it happens. I apologized the next day. For noise, there was a family with 2 young children in the second floor, it is not my fault if parents don't pay attention to children playing in the morning! I'm really sorry for all this, but I can't work as a hotel. You are always welcome, and of course I'll be there ! Thanks. Laure
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Se stayed at Le Quatorze for three nights and booked 2 adjacent rooms, one had 2 single beds for our children and the other a double/queen for us. Both rooms were beautifully decorated and our room had a nice clean ensuite. Our children had a separate bathroom of their own. We did experience on our last night a disturbed sleep, as people arrived home late from Bastille Day celebrations and the floor boards were very very noisy in the room above us. Downstairs is a communal living room with TV and books, dining area and kitchen. Laure made us very welcome, and we were free to use the fridge and kitchen facilities as needed, so we made our own lunch and dinner some days. Breakfast was lovely, it was our introduction to the lovely French bread and patisseries, as this was our first stop in France. Laure is at the Le Quatorze at breakfast time to serve and is contactable at other times by phone or email. She was very helpful in arranging a tour to the war memorials for us when I was unable to via phone, as we hadn't bought a sim card yet. Le Quatorze is located about 1.5km from the main station , and slightly further from town, from memory. We used the bus for transport as the stop is just around the corner. I'd definitely recommend a stay here, we felt at home being very comfortable and safe.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie C
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Le Quatorze is located about one and a half kilometres from the main station and is on a bus route. The hostess Laure was very friendly and helpful with advice. As she does not live on the premises, it is worthwhile arranging about arrival times with her beforehand. We were fortunate that other guests let us in and called her for us. The price for the accommodation is very reasonable.

We appreciated the free WiFi and access to kitchen facilities such as the microwave and refrigerator. The continental breakfast was tasty and adequate. Our bedroom was compact and had a nice ensuite bathroom. However, sound insulation between rooms was not ideal. Unfortunately the showery weather prevented our use of the bicycles that were available.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple