“simply magnifique”

Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Beauvais
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I arrived in Beauvais after having visited Amiens. I had a plane to catch so I had one afternoon to spend in the city! If it hadn't been for the plane, I would have missed an important monument! The cathedral is a splendour! Even if unfinished, it is imposing, being a wondrous example of Gothic architecture! As far as the interior is concerned, it is impressive through the large stained glass windows, a fascinating astronomical clock, the oldest chiming clock in the world, the tallest choir in the world and so much more. Definitely a must see!

2  Thank AleScridon

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I remember years ago performing the medieval 'Play of Daniel' - written 'here within Beauvais Cathedral by the students of the song school' - I often wondered what Beauvais Cathedral looked like!

I pass through Beauvais a lot and I have visited this Cathedral dozens of times. It always takes my breath away, the sheer height of the choir, the highest in Europe, is just amazing! How did they know how to build it so high in the 13th century? The cathedral is incomplete - there is no nave, just a choir and crossing. Chapels contain medieval stained glass from the 13th century and there is a clock, probably the oldest fully preserved and functioning mechanical clock in Europe that dates from the 14th/15th century.

The sheer height has caused problems and modern methods have had to be used to keep this structure standing - but it is stunning - well worth a visit - I think, one of my favourite buildings in the whole of France!

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I've been living in Beauvais for the last 7 months and I can tell you this cathedral never stops amazing me! Everytime I pass by, I just look at it and stand in awe. It is such a beautiful cathedral that you shouldn't miss if you're coming to Beauvais! Most people come to take their ryainair flights, all you have to do is to take some time before your flight to visit this wonderful cathedral

1  Thank Grekh
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I do really agree with the other reviewers on this! Why is this cathedral not more famous and visited? We have been in cathedrals around Europe but this is really a gem! Maybe it felt very special because it really took us with a surprise. We were only visiting Beauvais for an evening, waiting for a RyanAir plane to Bologna, we did not know about the cathedral before it suddenly appeared in front of us, and it was really breathtaking on the outside and unforgettable on the inside.

1  Thank Columbusandme
Reviewed 14 March 2013

So many people make the trek to Amiens, Rouen or Paris to see their lovely and historic cathedrals. However, what many don't realize is that en route to any of these places is Beauvais which holds one of the rare gems of Gothic architecture.

When construction began in the 13th century, the notorious Bishop of Beauvais aspired to make this the tallest cathedral at that time. Soaring to nearly 50m, this construction remains a marvel of medieval ingenuity and to this day remains the tallest Gothic nave in the world.

Over the centuries and during its building, the cathedral's astounding height was a constant issue. This wondrous work has experienced constant collapses and fires. It has endured two world wars and disrepair.

Recently, the renovations have been completed and now she stands grandly over the charming city of Beauvais. Truly one of the unique cathedrals in the world, take a few minutes to visit this inspiring and beautiful structure. You won't be disappointed.

3  Thank Paddlenround