“A lovely meal”

Brasserie de la mer
Reserve with
Brasserie de la mer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 155 Restaurants in Calais
Price range: US$14 - US$33
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: La Mer restaurant in the midst of Calais most popular tourist area wears its culinary heart right on its sleeve. This warm, traditional restaurant the sibling of La Sole Meuniere serves nothing but fish and fruits de mer, including twelve different kinds of moules. And it serves them all day long, even at four in the afternoon after you ve hit the hypermarche and require sustenance. The dcor here is comfortable and welcoming, with panelled walls, white table linens, and seafarer-costumed waitstaff who know their crustaceans. Specialties include cassoulet de la mer, sauerkraut de la mer, fish couscous, paella. Drink house muscadet and linger over superb cooking.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was our third meal at La Mer - I know we should try other places in Calais, but it's good and parking's easy. Plus it's always been good. We were on a day trip to Calais and it was a nice day. We had a delightful meal outside. Herself started with whelks, I had a fruits de mer, the kids both had snails (there is a kid's menu, but it doesn't include a starter, and ours were all out for snails...). All were really nice. Mains were also excellent - I had a veal steak, the rest of the party had mussels. The food can't really be faulted. So why 4, rather than 5 stars? Well, service was a bit 'relaxed'. Apart from that - it's hard to say how things could be improved.

There are newer reviews for Brasserie de la mer

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Visited this restaurant tonight. Arrived around 7.15. Not very busy, ordered soup x1 plus 1 Moules Mariner and 1 Moules Provençal. After a wait of 45 minutes, the soup arrived with 1 Moules. We sent the Moules back as we wanted to eat our main course together. After the soup, 1 Moules arrived, not 2. Got so fed up we got up and left. Hopeless. Never again

1  Thank Wendy D
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Living in Canterbury, we quite often pop over to Calais for the day to have lunch and stock up on French essentials. We have tried many of the local restaurants, but are always looking for somewhere new and decided to try La Mer. Warning! Since our last visit Calais has introduced a complex one-way system which found me driving the wrong way down the Rue de la Mer - the high street - which judging by the flashing and hooting of oncoming drivers was not appreciated!

So I arrived at La Mer in a somewhat jangled condition and was not impressed to find that we were at that (early) time the only diners. However, other guests - almost all French (a good sign) - soon started arriving. The service was excellent, and our waitress insisted on speaking English, probably in despair at my schoolboy French.

The food, to put it plainly, was the best of French bourgeois, and I mean that as a real compliment. My wife had the middle-spec Plateau de Fruits du Mer, which was remarkably generous and thankfully omitted the usual shovelful of winkles - lots of oysters and scampi of various sizes plus a half-crab, I had the 27-euro menu, starting with a remarkably large slab of foie de gras with toasted brioche, onion marmalade, mint jelly piping and various slices of fruit (visually appealing but gastronomically unnecessary).

For main course I had filets of sole farci stuffed with mushroom duxelles (look it up), pommes au vapeur, which were of a perfect waxy texture, lemon sauce, and samphire which provided the perfect salty tang. There was also a cheese crisp which was OK but a bit too strong for my taste. Overall, one of the best fish dishes I have ever eaten. The wine list was short but well-judged and our Muscadet sur Lie delicious.

My crème brulee was also excellent, but by this point I could only manage half of it. My wife opted for the Rum Baba (which she can never resist), which came as a construction kit: two halves of Baba, a mountain of whipped cream and a handsome glass jug of rum which was poured over the Baba with due ceremony. Again, only half was eaten, but only due to lack of capacity.

Downsides? Only one - the background music (soul on a loop) was rather insistent when the restaurant was empty, but easier to ignore once several conversations were on the go. If the patron reads this, could I ask him to turn it down a bit? We are definitely going to return and I will be checking the volume level!

Overall, this was the best sort of French experience - smart décor, good and unpretentious service and excellent bourgeois cuisine. Strongly recommended.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were on a trip to replenish our depleted supplies of alcohol and feeling very hungry after touring around various outlets. We went down to the fishing harbour to buy mussels from one of the quayside stalls and a short walk away we found this restaurant which was open although we were too late for lunch and too early for dinner. The interior is clean, smart and modern. We had the three course set menu for 17 Euros plus a wine, a beer and a bottle of water and the total bill was 47.30 Euros. We started with a delicious fish soup served with a sauce and two lovely crisp pieces of bread with a grated cheese covering it. The taste was superb. For the next course we had the skate with capers (no bones for those who are nervous of such things), a dressed salad, new potatoes and a cheese crisp, again delicious. To finish , a delightfully light vanilla tart with well flavoured ice cream and a toffee sauce. So glad to find the best of French cuisine without my dreaded garlic which has an adverse affect on my stomach.

1  Thank JANICE B
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were looking for a restaurant that served good food at odd hours on a Monday. Most of the local restaurants either do not have websites, or one that fails to tell you when it will be open. This one was an exception. We knew in advance that it was open all day on Monday, and other days. Very convenient if you are only here for a day, or returning by ferry. We had moules and frites, which were excellent. I had a glass of pouilly fume with mine, and my partner a glass of beer. The waitress was young, helpful and friendly. We also had dessert with a small taster of ice-cream, mousse and crème brulee, with an espresso. As it was 4pm by the time we ate, and we were very hungry, this really hit the spot. Simple well cooked food in a pleasant environment, and good value for money. I would definitely visit here again and perhaps try some other seafood (but then again, the moules were so good!)