“Stuffy rooms”

Premiere Classe Calais Centre - Gare
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Calais
“Stuffy rooms”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Having stayed one night before I decided to book for four nights for a mini break .... Don't recommend staying more than a night the small stuffy rooms make for an uncomfortable stay. When we arrived we could not check in as the computer was down apparently but I think the check in staff where not there eventually we checked in room was small but very clean bathroom light didn't work and window was broken. Neither could be fixed all week! When leaving the lovely lady in the desk let us leave our bags there and we sat in the hotel for a while when we came back to get out bags the man was now working at reception. He was very rude. as I'm pregnant i dashed to the toilet he told my friend we had to get out now. So rude and unnecessary as we had been there for four nights. We grabbed our bags and left.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Clare H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We were travelling to Brittany and decided to have an overnight break in Calais to break the journey each way. We only wanted a cheap place to stay but by the time we booked a lot of the places seemed to be booked up (probably people travelling to England for the TDF).

We arrived, parked up and found there was a queue of people fresh off the ferry also waiting. The receptionist spoke decent English, much better than my French anyway. We had a room that we accessed via an external area which felt like a block of council flats. Two floors up, no lift and we had decided to bring all our luggage in as the area didn't seem very salubrious. We were at the end of a corridor and as soon as we opened the outer of the two doors we got the stench of cigarette smoke.

I realise that this was a budget hotel but the beds were really uncomfortable and the pillows were flat as a pancake (or should I say crepe). The upper bunk which our daughter slept in felt precarious and she had to be careful not to get up too quickly or she would bump her head on the ceiling.

After I showered my partner went for a shower and somehow managed to flood the bathroom which flowed under the door and into the bedroom. There were only two towels for three of us!

Breakfast was basic but adequate, various breads, cereals and yogurts along with Nutella, jam and butter and a toaster. Coffee from a machine and juice was available along with various tea bags. Eating area was like a work men's canteen but the lady in charge kept it clean and tidy.

We also stayed here on our return journey but I am glad it was only for one night each time. There seemed to be a fair few undesirables hanging around the area but we didn't encounter any trouble.

It's not a place I would hurry back to but I wouldn't rule it out as a 'never again' place either.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Helena R

Travellers are raving about these Calais hotels

Lancashire Cyclist
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel was fully booked but this was not a problem as we had reserved months before. We were given access to the room early by a staff member and given a reasonably safe place to store our bikes outside. We were on the top floor and the stairs were steep and narrow. The rooms were actually accessed by a door from the corridor, that immediately led in darkness to two more doors that split into two rooms. The rooms were small and stuffy, and the place was s noisy all night. I suspect security was an issue with the amounts of immigrants wandering around nearby. We ate at the Pizza Express takeaway just across the road near the Station. There were a few vagrants hanging around and the Mini Market next door had security outside and in. The hotel staff were very busy, but polite and helpful. It was not their fault the place was so tatty.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ubhank3
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night whist waiting for the ferry back to England. It was awful. 2nd floor, No lift. Rooms separate from hotel reception. Double security doors on rooms, which were needed to feel safe. Area felt very unsafe. Arrived 7pmish. No decent places to eat. Worried car would be broken into or stolen. No towels in room, had to request them. Never again. Only good point was the lady on reception who was lovely. .Would not recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: Dont bother going there
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charliecat12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hotel is as it says on the tin a 1 star - very basic but couldnt fault the staff at reception on check in, she spoke reasonably good English and when they changed reception staff, he spoke English very well. Very helpful in loaning us a multisocket adaptor to charge our phone! Room was hot for sleeping as couldnt open the window because its very near the road. No airconditioning either. Shower is very powerful and therefore water goes everywhere but hot at least the water was hot. Breakfast was basic, help yourself but then you get what you pay for. Parking is free. It is very easy to walk into the Centre for Restaurants and there are plenty of buses to explore further afield. No mod cons so its ok for 1 night.

Room Tip: We were in Room 112 - not a big room but its compact and fairly clean. Noisy patrons especially out...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Essex
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here for one night - quite expensive we thought but I guess that's just Calais. For the sake of 3 more inches on the length of the shower curtains the room was flooded each time we used the shower - water even went across the floor under the door to the hallway. Obviously happened regularly - see photos - both in this room and upstairs. Told the staff - who just asked if we wanted more towels to mop up.

c'est la vie!

Room Tip: ...maybe ask for one "sans inondation"...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Marly,France
Reviewed 28 July 2014

When you stay premier classe,you expect the minimum, but still value for money. Somewhere to hang your coat, rest your head and be satisfied that you have paid an appropriate amount for the minimal service provided. I have always recieved this in every premier classe I've stayed at - - - - -except this establishment in Calais - - - -It was 11pm, a no choice option for two rooms for an overnight stay.We expected the normal value for money minimal hotel. What we got was The smallest rooms,not very clean, no sound insulation to talk of, the poorest quality towel (not towels). no bedside shelf/cabinet. and a unwanted early morning call from the people sharing our access door to the corridor. - - -and all for the grossly inflated price of 138.75 euros for two rooms. Half the price might have been acceptable if attached to an apology. Upon complaining I was told the manager would not be available until 4 pm and I would have to phone him then. When I requested the name and contact address of a group manager, I was told this was not available either. On insisting my complaint should be noted,all I got was the offer of a free breakfast- an insult I declined.

Room Tip: I would not stay here again as a gift and can find no reason to recommend this particular establishm...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family