“good for the ferry and eurotunnel”

Holiday Inn - Calais
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Calais
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The majority of guests are travelling on ferries or eurotunnel. The customs staff were staying in this hotel too so it must be one of the better ones in Calais. When I drove up to it I was a bit apprehensive about the area that it is in as it looks a bit run down. There was lots of males walking about and initially felt uncomfortable parking my car.
Front reception advised that I could use their car park at 12 euros per day. My advice dont bother just park across the road there are plenty of spaces and we could see our car from the room window.
The ferry terminal is virtually opposite so you can see the lorries loading on the ferries. The rooms are a bit dated. THey did have very comfy beds though with mattress toppers and comfy pillows. I would say this hotel was built maybe 30 years ago and has only had decorative touches since. If you walk out the hotel and take the first left there are plenty of bars and restaurants. We ate in the sixties diner and I would recommend as a must !
We booked a rate including breakfast. The breakfast was the worst I have ever ever tasted in a hotel. The croissants were burnt, the bread looked cheap, the fruit canned and tea and coffee the cheapest they could find. REally Holiday inn it was substandard. If I had paid for it at 15 euros I would have asked for refund.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments.
I appreciate what you say about our breakfast and I will discuss your points with our staff, to make sure we deliver the correct product.

Thank you again and kind regards.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Stayed for two nights September 2013. Check in seamless, reception staff spoke good English (thankfully) and were courteous and helpful. We had a family room with two double beds. Room and furnishings were tired and needed updating but beds exceptionally comfortable.
The hotel is near lots of restaurants, a supermarket and bars so all in all a reasonable place to stay if in Calais but nothing exceptional. Saying that I would stay here again as very central.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the harbour are better.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.
I am happy you had a good night sleep, thanks to our confortable beds.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Really friendly and professional staff, this must be our fourth visit.
We had breakfast this time and there was loads of continental style breakfast and the coffee was very good.
It was a bit busy and the cooked food was just a little bit of a wait - I heard complaints about this. It was busy and it was nice, can't understand such impatience. The staff were busy but still so polite and friendly.
Very well done to the staff for another pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for staying with us again.
I am very glad to read your comments about our staff friendliness. I will pass your comments on to them.

See you again again and kind regards

Reviewed 12 September 2013

The hotel is on a main road with plenty of parking outside and is very local to Calais Ferry terminal and Eurotunnel & quite a few bars & restaurants very local / behind hotel.
We booked 2 rooms with interconnecting doors which is exactly what we got. Could not specify this on the online booking & also didn’t trust it, so called and booked direct.
Hotel rooms could definitely do with a refurb and there’s only 1 small lift for the hotel, which gets difficult at busy times, straight after breakfast. We had breakfast in the hotel which was ok.
Guy on reception insisted on check in that I open a Holiday Inn points card, so I did. I completed the form and he gave me a temporary paper card until my card comes through by post – 2 months later, still not received it.
There’s a bar in the hotel which is handy if you just want to stay in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony room at front of hotel, otherwise you will get a view of the back, nothing to see.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Dear Family,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
You will probably receive the Holiday Inn loyalty card is the coming weeks. This service is not in the hands of the hotel. As Holiday Inn has started this new programe recently, it may take some time for you to receive the card. But for sure you will get it.

Please be informed that all our connecting rooms are not facing the port.

See you again.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

Greeted and welcomed at reception - nicely positioned hotel right on waterfront. Was allocated a sea facing room on the first floor with a double bed and a single for granddaughter. Lovely big en suite, windows that open - really good value. Opted to eat breakfast elsewhere, but we could well have eaten at the hotel - menu looked good! Very conveniently situated, surrounded by loads of restaurants just one street back. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am glad you enjoyed staying with us. Do not hesitate to come again, you are most welcome !
Book direct on our website and you will get the best rates available.
Kind regards

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Popped in on our way back to UK for a night and as usual the staff were
friendly and efficient, the room excellent and nothing was too much trouble.
You can park for free more or less outside and its just a 1 minute walk to the restaurants and bars of the town.
Calais really is an under rated town and is well worth a visit instead of just passing through on your way south.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear Guests,

Thanks very much for staying with us again and for your very positive comments.
It's a great idea to invite other guests to stay and visit our city.

See you again soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have stayed at the hotel many times and have never been disappointed over more than twenty years. The staff are always helpful, particularly at reception. Rooms are a good size and well equipped. I do not often have dinner in the restaurant as I tend to go to another local restaurant. Breakfast however is fine with a good selection.
The hotel is well placed for Calais, the Ferry terminal and the Eurotunnel.
I would have no hesitation in going to this hotel.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bigweb
Ffnet62, General Manager at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to our hotel.
I am pleased to read that we have done our job well !
I look forward to welcoming you again.
Kindest regards