“Superb location and very clean”

Holiday Inn - Calais
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Calais
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and our two sons stayed in a family room. It was clean, and fairly comfy, beds fine - sofa so-so. We had a TV with BBC 1, BBC world service plus ITV 1,2 and 3. There was tea/coffee making facilities and a large clean bathroom. I paid £58 and had the purchase tracked on Quidco via hotels.com for 8% cashback. I would definitely recommend this hotel for cleanliness, brilliant little buffet breakfast and location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank UglyKlown
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Calais. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

A very pleasant stay in central calais. Very convenient and very kind service provided by the team to look after us all. It was a very hot august night and we all slept well. Great value. Nice views of the harbour area and in a lively area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments.
We look forward to seeing you again...next August?

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I only ever stay in 5* which sounds incredibly snobby! but working in hospitality myself often makes me unfortunately critical more than places deserve. There are no 5*in Calais so was forced to spend a night in holiday inn 3*. I have to say that I think this is a fabulous hotel. The reception greeting was professional, warming and friendly ( young man) with the gift of a bottle of rose, the room, ideal temperature, large and clean... The key didn't work and in 5 mins the receptionist had sorted it out himself by coming up and down the stairs. The bar was good, happy hour exists, and in a good location. The morning we left it was a different receptionist ( a young girl) equally as friendly. The price was good. My only problem was that we tried to order room service at 21.50 from the room service menu but were told tang you had to go and fetch it, this takes away the point of room service!? But that said, I saved myself a hangover ! I will definitely be going back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank clareStLaurentDuVar
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for staying in our 3* hotel !!!
I am more than happy you were pleased with your stay.
I am glad that you will come again.
I still need to understand why we were not able to deliver the room service to your room.
I can assure this will not happen again.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I have used this hotel on many occasions when I drive to the continent both on business and pleasure.
Although downtown, It is convenient for the harbor and only 10 min drive to the tunnel.
There are some great restaurants and bars within very easy walking distance of the hotel.
There is usually plenty of parking outside or around the hotel. The hotel car park is small and the spaces tight for an average size car.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ian R

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.
I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

May I just inform you that we also have private garages where bigger cars can be parked. Do not forget to book the garage in advance !!!
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 February 2014

We started using the hotel over 15 years ago for weekend breaks. We returned this weekend after quite a long time and found the hotel had been re-vamped.... even more welcoming and excellent value for money. The manager on arrival was very welcoming and informative. His eagerness to please was past onto his staff and we experienced a swift and polite check in and were soon in our family room ( 504 ) and unpacked. The hotel's location for Calais can't be beaten. Car parking free and safe. Breakfast excellent value and the bar reasonably priced. Well done to all staff - check in, manager, bars and breakfast. We'll definitely be back !! Hint - book early and they have a price policy ( cheapest rooms etc ) so do ask. And there's possibly the best ever market we have ever visited in the square behind the hotel in the centre of Calais. Food, flowers and everything of the highest quality. Great time....

Room Tip: Ask for a harbour view !!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Sir,

After reading your comments, there is not much I can say apart from : THANK YOU !

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Patrice HAULTCOEUR

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Have had fantastic experiences with Holiday Inns in other parts of the world, however we found the staff in this one in Calais very rude. We were unable to wait in the hotel lobby for our room, being told that we couldn't stay there due to the lack of staff. Apparently sitting on the chairs is a huge toll on staff. The same excuse was given to us when we offered to purchase drinks while we waited. Instead we were forced outside in the rain and wind. We waited on benches in a shopping centre for a call to inform us that our room was available. Shocking customer service. You'd think they'd welcome the business during a quite February but instead reacted with laziness and rudeness.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,

I guess you are one of the passengers of the 2 coaches that were blocked in Calais with 90 persons because the drivers had to take their rest ?
We received a call from one of the drivers who booked (at last minute) 4 rooms for them.
They required 5 rooms that could be used by the passengers to have a shower. These 5 rooms were available when you arrived.
The drivers told us that the travellers would not stay in the hotel and would be given money to go around the city until the coaches leave later in the day.

This probably unexpected one day stop in Calais was decided by the coaches drivers and I do not quite understand why you are complaining about our staff who have done their job.

There are many Tripadvisor reviews showing how much the quality of our staff is appreciated.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Stayed for one night to break the drive home to UK. Location is great - an easy walk to restaurants in the town, and about 10min drive to the tunnel. No problem to find free parking on the street just outside the front door of the hotel. Check-in was very easy, and room was exactly as expected, clean & functional. There is free Wi-Fi but it seemed rather slow. You could pay for a faster connection. I did not stay for breakfast, but a quick look into the restaurant area during checkout suggested it was adequate. Definitely worth considering staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ffnet62, Directeur général at Holiday Inn - Calais, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your positive comments.
I am happy to read that you will come again.

Yours sincerely