“Great value - tasty food. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Les Remparts

Les Remparts
Ranked #5 of 127 Restaurants in Saintes
Price range: US$11 - US$17
Cuisines: French, Delicatessen
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Ireland
“Great value - tasty food. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant tonight. We're driving to the south of Spain from Ireland. We stopped off in this very lovely city of Saintes. We came across this buzzy restaurant and with our little dog went in at 7pm . Within 30mins it was filling up fast. This is a very clever set up. They offer the possibility of eating two or three courses on the menu of the day. With a choice of three mains. For 13.40€ it was 3 courses. 11.50€ for any 2 courses. Menu for Bambinos up to 10yrs, 7€ and some cent (cannot remember sorry). My husband went al la carte. The common Entree is the Buffet table. One may fill a small plate a couple of times should they desire and many do. I had Terrine and Roll mops. Lovely. We had amuse buche of Pea soup, devine. I had a local fish that I'd never heard of. It came with a butter caper sauce, rice and green beans. Very generous. And very tasty. Himself had 6 Oysters and Entrecote with Frittes . He loved it. We shared Creme Caramel with a side scoop of great raspberry icecream, lovely, and a side dish of confectioners custard. Lovely. Half bottle of white wine, a beer and a G and T, 45€. Tip extra. Amazing value. No wonder they are full. We walked around town and many restaurants were empty. It speaks for itself. Gourmet it's not but it is very good and great value.

• Polish first
Saintes, France
“Love this place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have dined here a number of times and have been delighted every time. Good food, good value, nice atmosphere, attentive and friendly staff. What more could you ask? Last Friday I arranged a lunch for 16 and we were all delighted. It won't just be me returning for another helping! Bravo Les Remparts!

• Visited November 2013
Saint Savinien sur Charente, France
“Amazing value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

But make sure you book ahead. A few other people, mostly local residents, have noticed that a 3-course lunch, right in the centre of Saintes, for 12.90 euros is astonishing value. It's been rammed on the two occasions we've visited. All right, the cooking probably wouldn't win Michelin stars but this is seriously good quality food at a very modest price, served efficiently and with a bit of charm despite a very busy restaurant.
The choice, chalked up on a board, is relatively limited and the vast majority of diners probably go with the two- or three-course fixed menus. The eat-all-you-want buffet for the starter is an inspired idea, really well stocked with a great variety of salads, hors-d'oeuvres, quiche, cold meats, fish etc. There are usually three choices for the main course and four or five desserts on offer (the pain perdu is amazing - do not be swayed by rival choices!). All for that very modest prix fixe.
One criticism - for vegetarians they make a wonderful omelette, the best of many I've had to endure in France, but they charge full price for that and then for the other courses. Why couldn't the veggie option be included in the prix fixe?

Fareham, United Kingdom
“All these great reviews are so right.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

For once decided to do my homework and check the TA reviews before visiting Saintes. How glad I am. Yes the buffet is excellent especially for seafood lovers like me but also really good choice of charcuterie. Main course was a bavette steak which is what it is however two other choices available including fish, I had the 2 course choice, 13 euros ish, my husband also had a sweet, 15 euros ish. Well priced pichets of wine. How they do it for those prices I don't know, lovely attentive service with a smile. Just for clarity they do the formula offer in the evening as well as lunchtime (I wasn't sure they would).

Word of warning, don't rely on your garmin gps to find it, it doesn't recognise the address, look on their website and put the adjacent street in, it's just in the pedestrian area opposite the town hall. Plus do reserve. I know where we're going to stop on the long trek back to the UK.

Saintes, France
“For the price I doubt Les Remparts can be beaten”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

As with all my reviews I include a factor related to the price paid. Les remparts truely does deserve the excellent reviews it gets. We have visited this restaurant many times and the food has always been top notch. Maybe not gourmet as one reviewer said but excellent value for money. Last night we had the the mixed buffet which I'd challange many more expensive resturants to match. Cold meats, quiche, Spanish omlette, fish, salads, prawns, shrimps, shellfish etc, etc. My main was a large piece of pollock, with sauce, carrot puree, fried rice and sauted mushrooms followed by a big plate with three cheeses and salad, my wife had slow cooked pork followed by pan perdu. We came away having had a really enjoyable meal with drinks and a tip for under 50 euro's. I cannot think of anywhere we have eaten that provides such value for money with such good service.

1 Thank digbyl177