Our family of 2 adults & 3 kids (11-14) found this three star hotel to be an absolute oasis while traveling in France. We were exploring the Avignon-Arles-Camargue area, which was in itself wonderful. The hotel is between Arles and Les Baux, the medieval city. The hotel's lovely green grounds, big swimming pool, ping pong and volleyball net were the outdoor escape, while the fairly spacious duplex family-style room was a very quiet place to get rest. We stayed 2 nights. In sum we found that some aspects of the hotel were family friendly, and some less so.
The room was clean with a beautiful, modern bathroom. It had a double and a twin on the top floor, and two single beds downstairs. The only unfortunate surprise was that there was only one bathroom, whereas our tour book and the hotel's website said that the family-style duplexes had 2 bathrooms. Apparently both are available but we did not know that nor was anything mentioned on the reservations as to the number of bathrooms. So that was a big squeeze and getting ready in the morning took a long time. If you stay there with 5-6 people, you might want to specify a duplex room with 2 bathrooms, though you do pay a little more.
The bar and restaurant were nice but in some ways more suitable to adults than to families. The dinner prix-fixe menu was 30 euros, and only children under 11 years old are supposed to get a price break (half price dinner). To us it seemed pricey and a little over the top for our 3 tired tween-teens. So we asked at the hotel front desk for a recommendation for a kid-friendly restaurant in the area. They responded by encouraging us to eat at the hotel and offering the reduced-portion half price dinner for all our kids, even the 14 year olds, and even said we could also choose a simple dinner for them of steak or turkey with vegetables which was not advertised on the menu. Both options sounded good! The manager told the restaurant staff about it, but the restaurant staff were really stiff and indignant about the whole thing and had to "double check" on it while we were ordering. Yuck. We ended up feeling like we were trying to waggle some cheap deal, when in fact the hotel had offered it. However, the food was excellent and we loved the dinner until the mosquitoes arrived at the very end of dessert. (Don't dine super late on the terrace in mosquito weather.)
We didn't eat breakfast there, but the buffet looked super inviting and we wished we'd had time. The demi-pension of 37 euros per day for adults for breakfast and dinner seems like a good way to eat very well while exploring the region, and not have to spend time looking around for restaurants.
One of the best things about the hotel was the excellent, friendly, professional front desk personnel. They were all completely gracious and kind.
Overall I would say that this is a great choice for couples, and a good family hotel if your kids have great manners, and are adorable and well behaved, because even though it has a pool, grassy area and big rooms available, it has a tranquil and serene kind of old-world atmosphere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Fontvieille , in the Alpilles , this large farmhouse built on a former stone quarry is located in the middle of a pine wood which grow cypress and olive trees. Over time , thanks to its large volumes and its exceptional location this house is now a charming hotel. You will love this cozy, bright and comfortable. You will enjoy the pleasure of staying in the Alpilles , the cradle of Provence . You will quickly find your place in the heart of the Hotel La Leiriero ... here the space is not lacking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers and TripOnline SA so you can book your La Peiriero reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Peiriero Fontvieille, France
- La Peiriero Hotel Fontvieille