“The best in town, really” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Romano - CLOSED

Romano
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean, Soups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Paris, France
“The best in town, really”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

A bit pricey (around 30€ for a starter+main course+dessert) but the food is fresh and really tasteful. A real selection of local and french wines. You'd better get a reservation for the tables with a scenic view on the bay of Cassis. Most certainly the best around!

• Visited May 2014

Los Angeles, California
“Unexceptional and expensive gourmet food, indifferent service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Le Romano was recommended by our innkeepers, who said that the food at most Cassis restaurants is quite horrible and felt this was the best option. This restaurant offers gourmet cuisine, but we found the food unexceptional, and expensive. Service was stiff, indifferent, and very slow. It may be the best thing around, in Cassis, but certainly does not compare to other restaurants where we ate gourmet meals or paid this kind of money.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
“Great lunch spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had a delicious lunch here on a sunny afternoon. The waiter recommended the Noix St Jacques to my husband who said it was his best meal so far this year. My fresh fish with almonds was also delicious. Our waiter was lovely and did not lapse into English, but rather allowed me to practice my French.

• Visited April 2014
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Interesting flavour combinations and a great view of the Port.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Dined here on 17 March, bill for two with a bottle of Paternel (almost obligatory in Cassis, but none the less enjoyable for that) plus two kirs came to 127 euros without coffees. Food was interesting but service was slow, too slow for the price, given there were only 3 covers including us, so six diners in total on three tables when we went in. Our waiter was very attentive and tried to hurry the kitchen along but perhaps they were shorthanded. Although the food was good, I think Romano is trying a little too hard to be something it need not attempt to be. People come to Cassis for seafood and traditional cooking and I fear the chef is ploughing a lonely and unprofitable furrow. I used to visit Romano years ago, I'm sad to sad I preferred it then. That notwithstanding it has exceptional views, perhaps the best along the Port in Cassis, the chef is clearly very talented and one cannot help but admire his tenacity - recommended with reservations, mainly about the price of the offering.

• Visited March 2014
Lyon, France
“Disappointed by the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

We chose this restaurant on the old port of Cassis and had a descent culinary experience but an average human experience. We came a bit early and the waiters were eating on the terrace and did not pay attention to us. I can understand they'd want to eat before the big rush but then we came back later and the guy who was setting up the table passed multiple times in front of me without stopping like he was not interested in us. I had to go inside to ask for an outside table. Then we ordered food and the guy started being nicer until I declined to order bottled water or alcohol and then again he looked upset. This is not quality service and such attitude is way too frequent in France (and I'm French!).

As a good example, it took us a while to get a refill of water while the dog of our neighbors got his bowl of water immediately.

The starters were quite tasty although the fish soup was just soup without actual fish (only the taste). The main dish was decent/good but not wow either.

The location is great, particularly if you can get an outside table. I think I'll try another restaurant on the port next time.

• Visited February 2014