“High Quality”
Review of Chateau de Valmer

Chateau de Valmer
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in La Croix-Valmer
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Secluded, high quality beach resort hotel. Good amenities and very friendly, helpful staff who never make you feel like an out of place Brit. Our room was small but comfortable. The sister hotel is on the beach itself and is an easy walk or an even easier shuttle limo ride (just ask reception and someone is there in minutes). From here you can lounge on the private beach and take glorious fresh fruit cocktails from the bar. We had lunch at the beach side restaurant and dinner for two nights in the hotel restaurant and garden. The food quality was excellent and when we needed something a little simpler the restaurant was very accommodating. This is a very good hotel in a great spot in the South of France and in consequence it is not going to be anything other than expensive. Thank goodness it doesn't disappoint.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank rafflesthecat
Numa R, Gérant at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Madam, Dear Sir,

We refer to your comments and opinions concerning your stay at « Château de Valmer » and « La Pinède Plage ».

We are so pleased to read such positive comments because the management and the staff focus their efforts in that way : make a very enjoyable stay in a peaceful atmosphere between countryside and sea-side.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you in the future.

With our best regards.

Gregg Rocchietta,
Gérant

Reviewed 7 August 2013

You do not need to explain that, to those who know what is Chateau Hotels. This is not a commercial site. Created in order to give you everything you need to fully relax. All at the highest level: service, cleanliness and order, breakfast and dinner, excellent cuisine. I do not know how they got bad reviews, I do not know these people, or have not tried their food. Sometimes you have to wait for a table for breakfast, sometimes you do not notice the waiter, dirty sand on the beach, but it's all irrelevant. Staying at the Chateau will remain in our memories and happy to come back. I give the highest rating and recommendation. In particular, I would like to highlight and thank Amandine and Angelique. Staying in July, seven days, the family of two children.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrzej_latkowski
Numa R, Owner at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Guests,

I would like to personally thank you for your comments.

Only a few customers thinking the way you do are writing to tripadvisor (or other websites). It is true that people in general are stuck within the established standards of what has to be a good hotel. But do those standards include the feeling, the atmosphere or even the soul of the place?

The Château de Valmer has a soul and this is why some people come to visit us for more than thirty years...It is true also that other hotels are delivering great services, have a great pool, a great bar.... but a very few have what you and I are talking about.

If people do not recognise those values, hotels like ours could disappear to the profit of big hotel group...

I agree with you that some people need to think "out of the box" and let there feeling speak for themselves.

Very Cordially,

owner

Reviewed 26 July 2013

The place is idyllic, great gardens and venue. However the restaurant was a big disapointement. The tastes were stale, the combination with the suggested wine amateuristic, and above all the sand in the spinach in the most expensive dish with the trufes de saison was unbelievable. We paid a lot of money for this dinner which was a big disapointment. Friends who live in the neighborhood confirmed the lousy reputation of the restaurant. I informed the lovely lady at the reception desk and she was taking notes and acting very surprised. We hope they improve their restaurant because the place itself is gorgeous, but the five stars do not relate to the restaurant. Maybe one or tw0 would do.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mattijs K
MrColomas, Gérant at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Dear Guests,

I thank you for your comments regarding our restaurant La Palmeraie at Le Château de Valmer.

I am sorry to learn that your evening with us did not meet your expectations. A note has been sent to our Chef as well as to our Food&Beverage manager.

However, your comment concerning our reputation within the area surprises me given the fact that we have a high number of regular guests coming to La Palmeraie restaurant every year confirming me its good reputation.

Hoping to welcome you once again at La Palmeraie restaurant.

Cordially,

Owner

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Yet again, exquisite, fine dining, complemented by knowledgable, friendly staff and romantic surroundings. We both had the set menu of 5 courses including the amuse bouche, accompanied by a bottle of the house rosé.
The imaginative use of local produce in a traditional manner was an example to the fusion restaurants who mix and match flavours such that you scarcely know what you're eating.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Numa R, Manager at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear guests,

I thank you for your positive comments concerning our restaurant La Palmeraie at le Château de Valmer.

I appreciate the fact you mentioned that we propose to our customers a home made rosé wine. It is also important to know that our Chef is using our Bio vegetable garden for his cooking.

I noticed this is the second time you are writing a review about us! thank you very much for those useful feedbacks.

Cordially,

Michel Colomas
Manager

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I stayed 3 nights here, on the ground floor, opening up to the vineyard. It was wonderful.

Besides the lush foliage that makes the perfect backdrop for a relaxing holiday, the chateau has an amazing staff, and that makes all the difference between this and other hotels. The front desk staff were knowledgeable and efficient, and Aurelien, who works at the bar, was especially hospitable and friendly. He went out of his way to make me feel welcome. Through him, I met other members of the staff, whom I will remember fondly by name for years to come.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jill S
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My husband and I booked Chateau de Valmer as a last minute get away as we were both very stressed with our jobs. We found the hotel on Google and I was a little apprehensive and didn't know what to expect.
I travel all over the world with my business and have stayed in lots of 5 star hotels but I have to say Chateau de Valmer is the best I have stayed at. The place is just so incredibly beautiful and the gardens are absolutely stunning. With the beach just down the tree lined path. What makes this hotel so special is from the very first moment you step through the doors you are made to feel so welcome and the staff are fantastic. I enjoyed learning French with our very patient bartender Auelien, who took the time to get to know us and teach us some basics and ensuring he remembered our names. It really is the little touches that make great service. Absolutely perfect.. Well done to the management at the Chateau as they certainly have paid attention to training their staff and we will definitely be going back.. .UK

Room Tip: our room was overlooking the gardens and the smell of lavender and mint will remain with me for a lo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We are currently staying at the hotel for a long weekend and I have to say the setting is beautiful, so is the facility, nothing to say about the hotel. However I have a major complaint with the service at the restaurant. We booked the first night a table for two, showed up at 9.15pm as planned and had a horrible experience which ruined the evening and my perception of the hotel.
The restaurant is not cheap (al least €200 for two with entree, main, dessert and wine, etc), so you would expect a 5 star service. The waitress took our orders (with great difficulty as English is optional here) and after bringing us the wrong wine and some bread and butter left us waiting for over 45min to bring us the starters. After a couple of solicitations and after asking what was going on the waitress told us they had some problems in the kitchen with somebody being taken ill. I made clear that we were going to leave if food wasn't coming but she reassured us it was a matter of minutes.
After another 20min (where we heard other guests complaining openly about the long wait) she showed up with our main courses! I asked what happened to the starters but she could explain, she insisted we had cancelled the orders when I early threatened to leave but we didn't, I suppose she didn't understand my request in English.
She offered to bring us the starters after the mains, we accepted but after 5min she came back and apologised the kitchen was closing at 10.30pm and we couldn't have any more food! We only had a small main and by then we drank all the wine so I was hungry and furious. Other guests also were complaining.
They offered us not to pay for the meal, which we obviously expected. The restaurant manager tried to explain it was the waitress which was not able to run our table, I found this a very poor lack of accountability.
Something odd happened also - a man sat alone close to our table and with a commanding tone asked for a couple of plates on the menu and got them very shortly. He appeared to be in charge, possibly the hotel managing director. If he was I wonder why he didn't take responsibility and came to us to apologise, if he wasn't I am not sure why he got served right away.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mvoltoli
Numa R, Gérant at Chateau de Valmer, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2013

Dear Client,

You were kind enough to share your experience and I would like to thank you. Your comments are very important as they provide us a motive for continuous improvement.

I have taken note of your comments regarding your experience at the restaurant La Palmeraie and we feel sincerely sorry.

Please understand, Sir, that this particular evening was a "unique" incident. I took immediate decisions for it not to occur ever again.

I sincerely hope you will give us a second chance and wait for the pleasure to welcome you personally at the Château de Valmer.

Yours sincerely,

#1 of 39 in Saint-Raphael
Chateau De La Messardiere
Chateau De La Messardiere
#4 of 73 in Saint-Tropez

Been to Chateau de Valmer? Share your experiences!