“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in La Croix-Valmer
Singapore
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

After a very long trip i finally got to the hotel and although there was staff at the front desk no one bothered to pay me any attention - i kept having to holler over the counter at them until someone took notice of me. When they finally did they were rude and irritable. When i was finally shown to my room they told me i had to bring my own luggage. The path to the room is a downhill dirt path slope and they made me carry/drag my own luggage to the room as no one bothered to help me. I was then taken to my room which was the equivalent to a hostel room - gross misrepresentation of what apprently is being offered by the hotel. Additonally, the toilet was not working and the key to the safe was missing and I was told that i could leave my belongings in the reception safe however this was only open for a brief period throughout each day - making it very diffuclt to retrieve my items whenever i wanted. I would not recomment this hotel to anyone. Be warned - worst hotel i have ever stayed in!!

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank FrequentTraveller428

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
lancashire
Reviewed 17 July 2013

If you are looking for peace and tranquillity in a lovely part of France with magnificent views of the sea near St-Tropez this charming, warm and friendly hotel would be very hard to beat.

The dinning experience on the terrace for breakfast and particularly for dinner is quite wonderful.

There are also two fine quality restaurants down on the beach, two minutes away by car.

Most of the rooms are not large but they are ample, and many have their own balcony or terrace.

The overall experience was delightful, I shall be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

HOTEL : Other than the lobby area which really needs to be refurbished (and is super cluttered with old furniture/objects) , we found that the hotel, pool area and grounds were very pretty and clean. There also was a parking lot in the hotel. The pool area is very relaxing and thankfully not noisy. One huge turn-off: No Wifi
ROOM: We had a sea-view room near the pool and it was great. It was small though and the bathroom definitely needed a makeover but to be fair, overall we were very happy with our room. We had an outdoor patio with 2 deckchairs, which was lovely. Our room was not cheap and did not include breakfast.
BREAKFAST: Breakfast was absolutely delicious but very expensive (maybe 25EUR a day, I dont recall exactly)
STAFF: The hotel staff is pleasant and helpful which, for the region, is not always given so well done.
OVERALL: We enjoyed our stay and would go back. If I did go back I would make sure I got a similar room though because some of my friends had rooms near the garden and I would have freaked out: liitle light, outdated rooms, dirty path to get there, no thank you!

Room Tip: do not choose a garden room, they need to be refurbished and look awful
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 March 2012

The breakfast menu is a bit stingy: 2 croissants and 1 coffee only. So if you are used to expansive breakfast buffets similar to those in Asian hotels, you will be disappointed. A trip to the nearest bakery would be a better option. A shuttle to the beach would be a plus if you like walking upward. A small TV set with a limited selection of international channels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank laurent m
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

The rooms are small and jaded. It seems that we are back in the 1980s and 1970s. What may have been trendy then, is no longer "in" these days.

The restaurant is also expensive (there are not many alternative outlets unless you have a car).

Basically, the hotel try to capitalize on its location and sea view. These are the only positive things about it. The rest lags behind in terms of quality.

Limited choice and quantity of breakfast

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank InMyHonestView

Travellers are raving about these La Croix-Valmer hotels

london
Reviewed 2 October 2011

A lovely hotel - discreet, unfussy with the most exquisite views of the Med. We stayed at the end of September for two nights and really didn't want to leave. The hotel was a gem. Charming but not pretentious, comfortable without fuss. Our room (47) was lovely. White colours that were fresh and relaxing, with the lush green garden in front. We were able to make the most of both the sea (a ten minute direct walk) and the glorious pool. And the price was very reasonable at the end of September. What the French do better than most - understated style and naturally beautiful.

Room Tip: 47 was lovely.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I don't mean to be nasty about the Souleias as the staff were very kind to us, but for the prices they charge, I feel I must be honest. The management run the place from their own perspective, ignoring all opportunities to be somewhere special, as well as client feedback and suggestions. The location is so amazing, I really hope that someone snaps this place up and refurbs it as it could be sooo fantastic.

The main gripe we had is the decor. The inside is DATED, extremely run down and does not look like it has been updated since it was done in the 1980s. The leaflet about the hotel uses photos that were taken in the 1980s and that pretty much sums this place up... Yes the terrace and restaurant are lovely, but for the prices they charge there are better options in the area. We rejected the first room we were shown - a tiny cramped, damp outdoor 'garden' (chalet) room with water marks, ants and cracked terrace, not to mention mosquitos. It had a beautiful view of the sea, but the room just didn't justify 300 Euros a night. It was like a bad butlins nightmare...

So we negotiated with the manager and she offered us a suite, normally 411 Euros, at a reduced rate. We normally stay in standard rooms but we really could not stay in the first room they showed us, so we took a deep breath and put it on Visa. The room was in the main building and was the most expensive room they had (and the only alternative at the time). It was much larger, with hideous white lacquered furniture, twin beds and a cheese plant - plus cracked terrace with ant infestation and a very old, worn out, wonky, plastic table and chairs. But of course a gorgeous view!

The staff were sweet enough but pretty basic service. For example the poolside restaurant is open from 12 - 4pm, but on one day when we went over for lunch at 2.30pm they told us they had closed early as it wasn't busy. We were the only people by the pool and they hadn't come to let us know so that was pretty annoying. We had to get dressed, with our 2 year old daughter and drive down to one of the beach restaurants. I mentioned it to the manager (being a believer in constructive feedback) and she was very blase about it - "yes I know it says 4pm, but if we are not busy we close".

The path down to the beach is pretty treacherous - we only took it once. Broken steps, bits of metal sticking out of the ground, overgrown plants - not particularly pleasant. Its much easier to stick to the main road (but a bit of a trek back up afterwards).

We had dinner in the restaurant once and it was lovely. The beautiful view (again), watching the sun set as we enjoyed a bottle of local rose wine and fresh fish. Lunches were fresh salads, again v tasty. Breakfast was fairly basic - no freshly prepared cooked food, just a boiler to boil your own eggs! At Euros 22 quite expensive we thought. I wouldn't go for the half board option - we had breakfast in the hotel a couple of times, but mainly drove to a boulangerie for amazing fresh pastries - rather than the doughy mini croissants the hotel had. Lunches are fine, but the local restaurants also offer great food and we found it nice to try out different places.

It really is stuck in a by gone era. Most of the other guests were in their 70s/ 80s and seemed to have been visiting for many years.

All hotels are expensive here, but when we return (which we will as the location is so beautiful), we'll stay at the Pinede Plage or Chateau Valmer. We visited both and they were lovely. Plage Gigaro is fine, but Plage Heraclees is the best place to sunbathe, with some great lunchtime restaurants.

I'll write a separate review about the local renowned restaurant Couleurs Jardin - but be warned, it won't be glowing!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family