“First time seeing flamingos”

Le Parc Ornithologique de Pont de Gau
Book In Advance
More Info
US$100.04*
and up
Camargue and Les Saintes Maries de la Mer Tour...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 8 November 2013

What a great attraction. It is not a bird park or enclosure, it is a natural marshland and the birds are free to come and go as they like (besides the owls in the cages) so it is a lucky dip if you will see anything but it is an extensive place with many pathways and we saw flamingos up close, herons, egrets, coots, various species of duck. There are pictorial information signs explaining the various species of birds and wildlife you may see.

We drove from Arles along the D570 road and on the way we saw the Camargue black bulls and lots of herons. The white horses were mostly at the horseriding centres and this park was one of only 2 places I saw flamingos in the western Camargue (late October) so I'm really pleased we chose to visit here.

The ticket office gives you a map with the walkways - there is a short walkway (numbered 1-10) which we took almost an hour and a half to complete, and a longer walk which borders the main Camargue lake 'Etang de Gines' (numbered 1-16). Bring your camera, binoculars and also mosquito repellent (we visited late October and yes there were still mosquitoes).

The pathways are wide and accessible (both for baby buggies/strollers and for wheelchairs), there are many lookout/vantage points and observation towers. There is a snack shop with decking overlooking a lake so you can watch the birds while you have lunch, plus you can take your own food as there are lots of picnic tables. There are accessible toilets near the snack shop.

We were worried about our rental car as we had heard about car break-ins but we did not experience any theft and the carpark was full of rental cars and campervans.. As with any tourist spot, hide your belongings out of sight and if you need to access your suitcases try to stop safely along the way and take things out of your suitcase before you need them - nothing better for a waiting thief to see a tourist open their car boot in a carpark with 3 suitcases! We walked past a campervan and there were iPads and all sorts of electronic gadgets just left in full view, idiotic!

I was so happy to see flamingos in flight and was surprised by the honking sound they make. A great attraction for this area and I would love to bring my son back here one day.

2  Thank ARiviera
Write a ReviewReviews (2,107)
All reviews
"small cafe"
in 7 reviews
"bird watching"
in 9 reviews
"definitely worth a visit"
"their natural habitat"
in 6 reviews
"an abundance"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We drove here from Narbonne. I am a biased reviewer, I love nature especially the elegant flamingos so prevalent here and I dont like walking 50 k carrying my photo kit. This parc is well laid out with wide, well maintained and accessible walking tracks. Ample car and bike parking. Only a few K walking is required. Sorry to see another reviewer had there car broken into and robbed. We had no such problems with our small hire car. There is a cafe in the observatory where you can get a most welcome cold drinks. We also visited in Sept and were not worried by mosies. At midday there is a lot of glare so you might want a polariser for you camera lens. I only saw one wild horse but I stayed in areas with flamingos so maybe they were somewhere else.

I have to say I had been looking forward to this trip for months and was not disappointed. !! On the other hand one of our group, walked around for an hour and then waited 3 hours in the cafe with a cold drink and a book.

2  Thank ozsolo53
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The large number of beaultiful pink flamingos in October was unbelievable. This is very worth the stop for up close photography of these beautiful birds. We also saw caged owls and other wounded birds that were in the care of the parc. Please stop and spend the time to experience this great place.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Warning. if you decide to visit- beware. We were parked in the carpark at 10am 28 September and we got our vehicle broken into. When visiting the local police I think this is a hotspot for theft. We had nothing on display in our camping-car. The theives broke in through the dining area window. So beware.

1  Thank theexplorer54