“traveler, skip it, worst pizza I ever had”

Pizzeria Le Vieux Vaison
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The "Bistro du'O" 50m away was full, so we hit the first one, we found, the pizzeria.
My mistake: not checking the place beforehand in Trip Advisor.
True, it is nicely located between the medieval village and the city at the river level.
They have tables overlooking the city.
But that is all there is to it, and good, but not exceptional, service.
We had a salad and a pizza, rosé, and deserts.
In Marseille, pizzas are close to a religion.
How can I say it? The pizza I had is as close as I imagine them being done in Hell.
The place was packed, and my pizza arrived 4 min after ordering it !
They had laid the dough, spread pure double concentrated tomato from cans on it (with the awful metallic taste it has when used raw), some cheese, and chopped rubber flavored chorizo and merguez (the cheapest type you can get in discount supermarkets).
They baked it too quickly.
I had to make it swim in spicy olive oil to be able to do it.
I was still trying to digest it the next day.
The salad my wife had was par to it. Mostly lettuce, supermarket seasoning, and very few other things to complement the salad (mostly canned stuff).
It is a tourist place, but at least, this is not too expensive.
Its ranking at the bottom of the restaurants in Vaison is well deserved.

2  Thank icbernard

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This restaurant is well placed above the river looking down towards the archaeological sites of Vaison and we had a really good table in the window.

We had come for a snack lunch and both of us ordered the same, simple vegetarian pizza. The combination of cheeses and pesto left both of us with a green oily, claggy lake on a soggy pizza base. In the end I finished mine, but my wife simply couldn't face hers and left most of it.

A bit of a tourist trap. On market day (Tuesday) we found a much better pizzeria the Bella Napoli, down in the town

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

The views were amazing and the pizza was good, however the service was horrible. We do not speak French, & my husband & I went out of our way to be pleasant. The waiter was hostile & sarcastic, & every time he walked away he scowled & rolled his eyes. I will admit that the pizza was good & reasonable, but we will never go back. I think our experience would have been totally different if we spoke French, since he went out of his way to take care of the locals

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

What a great spot! Not only great food, but marvelous service. Upon our second visit, the proprietor (Antoine) remembered us as both Americans and South Carolinians; which made us feel very special.
The pizza is as good as you'll find anywhere, and the pasta is fantastic. Foie gras ravioli with a mushroom sauce for 14€?!? Unbelievable! Additionally, we saw numerous locals fill the dining room after 8 pm when most other restaurants were already closed. It had the feel of our favorite local haunts at home. Everyone seemed to know one another and a buzz of companionship filled the room, and we were made to feel a part of it; a feeling that was totally unexpected.
The long and short, if you want amazing and reasonably priced Italian fare in a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere; then this the place!!
Many thanks and regards from your friends from S. Carolina!
Evan and Shelly.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

The pasta and the meat were great, the sauce was already cold. Friendly service and enough place to sit, inside and outside.