“good food but..........”

Universal cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Seems to be a gathering point for males in the evening. Food good especially menu du jour but sparsely attended in the evenings whichcompared with others alongside.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My wife, son & I stopped by this cafè for lunch after market day last Tuesday in Vaison La Romaine. Since it was a pleasant, sunny day, we opted for a seat on the covered terrace.

We enjoyed a pleasant lunch, with good service and reasonable prices. The waitress was pleasant and attentive to our needs. We all enjoyed a well prepared and presented lunch salad with a bottle of the local rosè, followed up with a yummy creme bruleè.

We were made to feel comfortable and welcome. This is a place I would definitely pay a return visit to.

2  Thank David S
Reviewed 16 October 2013

It's been years since I've sent a entree back to the kitchen. But here, I did. I ordered a steak with the pre-fixe 18€ menu, got a badly done flank steak, completely rare, completely unchewable. I sent it back, ordered the lamb, and that was passable, although the chef simply plated it onto the vegetables I'd had with the steak.

Perhaps it was that it was a quiet Tuesday night during October, but . . .There are many other and better choices in this wonderful town.

2  Thank Bill N
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were hoping to go to another restaurant recommended to us but they were closed. We found this restaurant and had a promising menu. It's unfortunate that the food did not live up to it. I had tomato and avocado to start. What arrived was, and I can only describe it as 'slush' of under ripe avocado and over ripe tomatoes. The best part of the dish was the salad. To follow was a double lamb chop but not cooked to my liking despite being asked. To follow the dessert was a sponge with a poor apology for a strawberry topping which I suspect has never seen an actual strawberry. All this for €19. Service was exceptionally quick approx 45 minutes and was more thrown than served. The restaurant wasn't busy but the terrace was. The best part of the meal was the coffee. I will not be visiting again.

2  Thank wigglyline
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Worth a visit for their well-prepared and tasty lunch time menu. The main menu is a little more pricey.