“Great Surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Divonne-les-Bains
santa barbara ca
“Great Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

We had to pick someone up at Geneva Airport and looked for hotels near GVA and found this jewel of a CHateau de divonne. Great place. Quiet. Beautiful. Peaceful. Professionally run. Friendly staff, and an excellent retaurant too. 10 out of ten!

Room Tip: All rooms look nice
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank peternoone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Arabic first
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

It is something basic and not much to ask, for hotels to warn guests of any event that will restrict access to their facilities.

I arrived to find a dinner event at the hotel. This event for some reason had taken 2 of the hotel salons. The other one available could not be called a salon as not only was non inviting but had only a few chairs to sit. I traveled a day in advance to enjoy peace and quiet and be able to read peacefully in any of the salons, instead I had to retreat to my room.

Had I known I would have stayed home, or would have gone somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank moralla
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

The hotel is lovely as you drive up and the reception area is welcoming. I had a small room and very dated bathroom. The conference room in the cellar was a bit smelly and very cold. The evening meal was good and breakfast nice and I really wanted to like this hotel. I didn't.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank GlasgowBilly
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed for 3 days of business meetings staying overnight with the meeting room package. Absolutely stunning views and the chateau is beautiful in an old world charming kind of way. Some of the inside is in need of a bit of modernising and it did feel a bit twee but I quite liked that. The outside terrace where you can sit and have a drink overlooking Mont Blanc is very special. I found the location useful with it being a short ride from Geneva Airport and good value for money compared to the higher prices of meeting packages in Geneva. I was happy with my spacious room and nice touches of chocolates etc left, however some colleagues weren't very happy that they didn't have a window. So I would look out for this. The large meeting room we hired was down in the cellar it was atmospheric and full of character. It had small windows so a little dark when in there for a few days but there are other rooms you can hire upstairs. The bar is good as the night porter happily kept it open till the early hours. On balance we were quite a demanding lot but we did need the flexibility for our meetings so the staff didn't always see eye to eye with us. We were in fact met with quite a bit attitude at times, which I didn’t expect with how much business we were bringing. Although they probably required a lot more notice for things due to French employee/work rules and some of the staff were great but some others not so. It's ok for having very formal meetings if you don't require flexibility and everything is set in stone or if you’re passing through and fancy a romantic break, in that respect having also stayed elsewhere in the area. I'd say the Chateau is probably the best place to stay in Divonne.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank kelliemurray
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

I have stayed many times on business. I like the feeling of seclusion and getting away from the big hotels. The rooms tend to be a good size and and always quiet and comfortable. The food is very nice but I cant comment on the prices as it alwasy goes on the company credit card! Service is good too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Richard B
Chateaux_hotels_gef, Responsable Réservations at Chateau de Divonne, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Madam, Sir,

We wanted to thank you for your feedback regarding you many stays at Château de Divonne.
We are very happy to see that our clients realize our chance to have such position close to Geneva.
We looking forward to welcom you soon.
Ferney-Voltaire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We started our meal at the Chateau de Divonne with champagne. My husband's glass of Brut was fine, but my Rosé was obviously flat. I complained and the glass was replaced with a fresh one, but at €18 a glass I shouldn't have had to ask.

As for our food, what we had didn't taste bad, it only looked bad. My langoustine ravioli was flavorful but looked like a bowl of mud. It was the worst dressed plate I've ever had in France. A sad sprig of green parsley couldn't help that overwhelming brown. My husband's lobster medallions, which should have had pride of place, were buried under lettuce leaves.

Next plates - again, good taste - horrible presentation. My husband's veal and eggplant purée was meat swimming in a beige mush-like sea (and mush is a nice comparison). My dorade with mushroom risotto was yet another monochromatic study in brown.

They redeemed themselves somewhat with the desserts. My Grand Marnier souffle was excellent, my husband's chocolate fondant equally so, and their presentation was better.

For a restaurant in this price range how the food is presented is as important as how it tastes. I can't say this was the worst tasting meal I've ever had, but I have to say it was the least attractive.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frenchchic
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

I stayed there for 1 night and also had dinner with clients. It sells itself as a bit of old fashioned luxury, but in my view it was a bit more old fashioned and a bit less luxury. I realise you cant have it all, but I have stayed in plenty of old placed that also have a modern touch tastefully done. This place needs modernising and thats a fact.

The dinner was really good quality and you get a fantastic view over the lake from the dining room. The night porter kept the bar open until the early hours as we were residents and that is always a bonus.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank jrb72_london
Also consider these accommodations in or near Divonne-les-Bains
Domaine de Divonne
Domaine de Divonne
#1 of 11 in Divonne-les-Bains
Hotel & Residence La Villa du Lac
Hotel & Residence La Villa du La...
#4 of 11 in Divonne-les-Bains
La Terrasse Fleurie
La Terrasse Fleurie
#5 of 11 in Divonne-les-Bains
Zenitude Hotel-Residences La Versoix
Zenitude Hotel-Residences La Ver...
#6 of 11 in Divonne-les-Bains

Been to Chateau de Divonne? Share your experiences!