“If you like Voltaire, you'll like it here”
Review of L'Hotel de France

L'Hotel de France
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ferney-Voltaire
Reviewed 11 September 2012

If you want to stay close to Geneva airport in a hotel which gives you a taste of France rather than a taste of airport this is the hotel for you. We arrived late in the evening before an early morning flight and wanted something not overly expensive but not too boxy. My husband told me to check for a room while he looked after the car. There was only one room available on third floor and since there was no lift i declined it even though the room was large and atmospheric.However my husband had driven as far as he was going to and had already unpacked our excessive luggage from the car. The waitress/receptionist was very polite but the manager rather rude, telling us their carpark was full and implying that the hotel was also full. Perhaps after out 10 hour drive he thought we were not suitable for his exclusive boutique hotel. But we found a free carpark very close by and booked in with the nice waitress. We did not eat in hotel as it looked rather expensive and we wanted fast and cheapish. On returning we spotted the Red Michelin award for the restaurant on the door and were glad we had booked breakfast which was inexpensive and was much appreciated. The three flights of stairs to our room were not really that bad in the end and the room was quiet, spacious with a big shower room and, being in a listed building (we discovered later) felt atmospheric. A good night's sleep!

Room Tip: We got the last room and it was fine.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Passepartoute

Reviewed 9 September 2012

Attractive historic building right in the heart of the village. Stayed in good-sized doulbe room on top floor (99 euro) - necessitating 3 flights of steep stairs (which are no big deal). Shower could do with upgrading, but adequate. Tea/coffee making facilities in room. Breakfast is extra (9 euro) and OK; you can even boil your own egg!
Overlooks village fountain. Public car park a minute's walk away. Michelin-star restaurant adjoins hotel - mouth-watering menu, but eye-watering prices. Would recommend L'Azzurra (pizzeria) for eating - at the far end of the pedestrian precinct, about 2 mins walk away.
Very handy for returning a hire car to French sector of Geneva airport - about 5 mins away.
Pity there was no bus transfer as would be hard to get to late at night without a car. Would definitely return if ever in area and had an early morning flight the next day. Much more characterful than the hotels on the Swiss side of the airport.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mountaingoat1
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Its quiet location and accessibility to Geneva by bus and car make this hotel a great asset. But do not expect much help at the front desk. Staff is overwhelmed and devote more time and attention to the hotel's restaurant bussiness than to hotel patrons. Charging extra for breakfast is unfair. Be aware: there are no airconditioner or heating facilities in the rooms. In the summer I managed but this can be potentially problematic. You are beating however, the rip-off hotel prices of Geneva. Check out the open-air fruit and vegetable market (on Wednesdays, possibly other days ) for stocking up on provisions.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor (and higher) hover less over the busy restaurant.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Close to Geneva, in Ferney Voltaire, there is a house , from 18 th century, which had been built by voltaire himself for his "ideal City", and which is now a great hotel and an excellent restaurant.
The rooms have kept the charm of the ancient time, with beams and chimneys, whereas the food is very " modern cuisine", served by a charming staff.
The couple owning l' Hotel de France is sharing the work, him leading the kitchen, and her taking care of the customers ( with excellent guidance on wines!)
During summer time, one can have the dinner outside in a very cosy and romantic garden. a great experience at 5 mn form the Geneva Airport!

Room Tip: ask for the biggest room on top of the house with chimney and a lot of charm; value for money!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This place sums up France for me, good and bad.

Good in that everything was of a good quality, including the room (given the price I paid relative to other accom near Geneva airport during a major conference) and the splendid breakfast. Located on a quiet street in the middle of what looked like a very nice little town, I had no time to explore as I was there for work.

The bad is the standard of customer service - I got down for breakfast at 830 and there was no-one around, so I sat where I thought appropriate and started eating a delicious pain au chocolat. A few minutes later a waitress came in and look mightily cheesed off, I had apparently sat in the wrong table (it had been laid out for lunch), and this necessitated her removing various bits from the table as I ate. I felt like pointing out that I wouldn't have been sat in the wrong place if there had been someone there to ask! I then went and paid my bill, and then afterwards asked whether I could access wifi to check my emails while my cab arrived. The receptionist said this would cost an extra €3 - on top of the €125 I had just given her! Unbelievable!

I got there late in the evening and had to let myself in, find my own key etc. It felt like there was noone else staying there but me, and as I let myself into my room, it felt a bit like a scene from The Shining. But I'd probably stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Check on arrival whether or not you have a room where the blinds are long enough to reach the bottom...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2012

First of all, if you look for the cheapest 2 stars hotel around Geneva, you may not have great expectations. This is how I crossed L'Hotel de France, but what I really found is an historical building, in the past owned by the private secretary of Voltaire, to which the town of Ferney-Voltaire is entitled. The building has been partially restored (or: restored with respect for the ancient structure), and it has not been adapted too much for modern travelers. So stairs are steep, and at least my room had the wooden floor slightly curved. The result was a slightly leaning bed - after a couple of nights I became used, but initially it was annoying. The room was wide, while the bathroom was small; however, both clean.
I stayed there for a couple of weeks in the coldest time of the year, unusual according to local colleagues; the heating system was not up to the task in the coldest days (I usually suffer for too warm temperatures in hotels - here it was definitely not the case). On the other side, and perhaps due to the low season, the place was absolutely quiet. The hotel is run like many B&Bs, so no real reception, but a numeric code to enter.
The room is equipped with a coffe/tea maker (and all what is needed to make it). I had full breakfast a couple of times, and it is adequate - more on the sweet side than salty. Breakfast is served in the hotel restaurant, which is a totally different level (and budget) vs. the hotel (I'll review it separately).
Wireless internet is available for a small daily extra and very fast.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank enzodm
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Could be better & has to be better regarding the number of accommodations proposed around. Looks pretty & nice but facilities/amenities/services/technologies (all)/rooms are just mediocre and unpleasant. Need some basic improvements to pretend to be 2** hotel. Restaurant expensive nevertheless very nice

• Stayed: January 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ferney-Voltaire
1 mi away
#1 of 2 in Versoix
Citadines Geneva Ferney-Voltaire
Citadines Geneva Ferney-Voltaire
#3 of 9 in Ferney-Voltaire

Been to L'Hotel de France? Share your experiences!