“Just enough for something”

Geneva Residence - Appart'Valley - Gaillard
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Gaillard
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was staying in this hotel From 2 to 5 June. I got a room on the 5 th floor which had the roof n top and the nceiling of the room was dying on the kitchen. I would like to warn that this hotel is in France and not in Geneva so they do not offer the guests with the free transportcard which all Geneva Hotels offer to their guests. The location is just opposite Molesulaz Tram station. I used to buy the 9 am day pass for Geneva Tout region from this tram station and then used to travel the city. By the way I was a tourist therefore used this route. Now coming to the hotel qualities.
Attendant was very polite but had very limited knowledge apart from his routine work.
The internet was not working the 1st day probale because they use the same password for all guests I was not getting an ip address from their server. When comained the reception told me that the memory of my computer is full thats why the internet is no working.
The reception timings are odd and they close the shutter after 8.00 pm. To open the door they give you a key combination if you arrive late.
There are several warnings mentioned in the lift, lobby, on the door to put the garbage in the garbage bin kept at -1 level. I was surprised to see that when I entered the room and checked that my garbage bin was already full. :)
A used soap was also lyong in the bathroom
Constant noise from lobby of other guests.

Rest the room was fine and since the weather was very windy the climate was very pleasant.

Room Tip: Don't buy the last floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SunShenoy

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Good:
- on the French-Schwitz border. From here you reach the center of Geneva in 20 minutes and one tram (or a bus).
- apartmants have separated hall, sleeping room, entrance with kitchen... but all quite small (hall 3x2.5 m, sleeping 2.5x2.5)
- acceptable clean

Bad:
- a bar/pub just in front of your window with loud people until 2 (maybe later) - if no rain. Even with closed windows you hardly can sleep. I don't know why they don't use better fixtures, it would be enough.
- surroundings are quite scaring (it is an immigrants quarter)

For 85 euro/night it was acceptable for me (I was alone and for business purposes). Never come here with your family

Room Tip: Rooms with pair numbers are BAD, choose rooms with impair numbers
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I DID read the other reviews on TripAdvisor before reserving this place, but, being a frugal traveler, figured I'd give it a chance. We needed a place to stay for three nights with two teenage kids, somewhere accessible to public transit, and I wanted to avoid having two rooms. Most if not all of the reasonably priced (for Geneva) hotels either don't have rooms for four people, or have deluxe suites with a very big price. I will echo some of the other comments: This property is VERY worn out - lots of broken furniture, rusted fixtures, badly worn rugs, etc. It is also not clean, even by my fairly relaxed standards.

I have stayed in worse places, but this place certainly has a spot near the top of the "Bates Motel" list. Do yourself a favor & look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Good rooms are not here!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I found this place by reading review after review. Most reviews were helpful, but here's mt two cents worth.

Pros:
Very affordable for the size of room we had. Two large, separated chambers which was good for the kids.
Ease of access to Geneva was very simple as had been mentioned numerous times on this site by using the number 12 tram.
Given the area and night life, a secure code to open the main door was good. You also need to use your room key to operate the elevator and access the stairway.
The bakeries right at street level open very early and will slice the bread for you and sell decent coffee.

Cons:
Whatever is being made in the reastaurants / bakeries downstairs floods the hotel with that odour. Fresh bread is good, pepperoni pizza is bad.
The lighting seemed as if they were trying to reduce costs by using very low wattage bulbs.
Very dated decor complete with cigarette burns in the carpet.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2013

The hotel itself is a set of apartments right on the border. From the hotel front door, it only takes a couple of minutes to the number 12 tram which takes you into the city centre in about 15 minutes.

The apartment I stayed in had a bedroom, a bathroom and a kitchen with a sink, a fridge, a microwave and 2 electric rings (the secret to those is to turn the timer switch otherwise they don't come on). The rooms were clean and everything seemed to work OK. There is a launderette in the basement which is cheaper than the one just up the road in Gaillard and there is an iron and ironing board at reception.

There are some downsides. The reception is only open from 8am to 12pm and from 4pm to 8pm so you can only check in after 4. They can arrange for you to check in later but I haven't tried it. The other is that the locals, while friendly, can get a little noisy. I am OK with that but if you need somewhere with no outside noises then this might not be for you.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ChrisFaulkner
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Probably the most uncharitable review I've written on Tripadvisor. We stayed here for three nights during a recent trip to Geneva. We picked this place because we had friends in Thonex (inside the Swiss border) and some folks from our party were staying with them - this hotel was less than 10 minutes to our friends place and we could get there quickly for breakfast in the morning.

The good:
- location: just outside the Swiss border in the French side. Near a customs office which is well-lit at night. Once you cross over to the Swiss side (2 minutes from the hotel), you can catch the tram to downtown Geneva. Trams runs very frequently. We drove to Chamonix from here - easy trip.
- responsive staff: we knew we would be arriving late, so emailed the staff and they promptly sent us the security code and instructions for how to get our keys. Self checkin worked fine.
the bad:
- everything else: rooms were large but had broken furniture and closet doors coming off the hinges. Lingering smell in the halls and stairways.
- wifi: the promised free wifi didn't materialize. When asked, the lady at the counter blithely informed us that 'yes, it is not working..the technician will show up at some point'. No apology, nothing. During our three night stay, it worked for a few hours

I totally understand that you get what you pay for, and Geneva is an expensive city..but this place doesn't meet the basic standards of cleanliness and service.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank frugaltravelerdc
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Having read the reviews I was dreading what I would find. It is really easy to find,50m from the swiss border and the tram.
We arrived late (after 8pm)but had asked for the security code and instructions which were fine. The electronic keys for the room and the pre booked underground carpark worked ok. We paid £340 for two double beds and car park for 4 nights.
The rooms were basic , clean sheets, double bed /settee in lounge. Basic kitchenette, FS TV. It's not the prettiest part of town but there is a police station in the same block . I felt secure enough. Local shops nearby, we got our own meals.
Convenient for Geneva and day skiing to Grand Massif in about 1 hour.
Basically it was better than I expected and would go there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank David____Ely
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaillard
Appart'City Geneve Gaillard
Ibis Budget Annemasse
Ibis Budget Annemasse
#10 of 19 in Annemasse
Campanile Annemasse Centre - Gare

Been to Geneva Residence - Appart'Valley - Gaillard? Share your experiences!