“Friendly hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in L'Alpe-d'Huez
ClubHotel Belle Aurore
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in L'Alpe-d'Huez
Camberley, United Kingdom
“Friendly hotel”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Four of us stayed with Crystal over the Christmas break. The hotel is run by Skibound and the English staff were all very helpful and attentive.
The hotel is geared to accommodate school parties and this is reflected in the somewhat tired appearance. We had a quick look at an exhibition at the sports centre and if the photos of Alpe d'Huez are to be believed the Belle Aurore was built before 1950!
If you get the chance specify a room at the front with spectacular mountain views. Rooms are basic, but it was very nice to have a bath on a skiing trip.
The heating was not great with lukewarm radiators throughout. This resulted in damp clothing being dried on public area radiators as the bedroom ones were on there own insufficient. I got a second duvet without problem from reception.
The food was good overall except for one meal of Lasagne and chips. Very school dinners! There is a set menu which bizarrely the waiting staff ask you if this is OK! We were 'menu'ed' all nights and our orders written down. I enquired what was being written as there was no choice, to my amusement the answer was 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 puds! Overall though very good with an excellent Christmas night meal with all the trimmings and a seasonal quiz afterwards.
Breakfast was a plentiful continental with cost option bacon/egg/sausage rolls.
The hotel is a two minute downhill walk to the slow bucket lift which takes you to the main DMC cable car. At busy times expect to queue.
There is a friendly bar which charges the normal astronomic alpine prices.
The lounge was equipped with a pool table, bar football and a couple of video games. There is a big TV and some sofas and beanbags.
Overall I would recommend and would return if the price was OK.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel for great views and some balconies
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ilovetotravel1962
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights leading up to the Alpe d'Huez mountain stage of this years Tour de France. The hotel was "spartan". No tv, no telephone and 2 simple twin mattresses. The view on the other hand was amazing! We had a beautiful view overlooking Alpe d'Huez. The staff were all english speaking (it is run by an english company) and were very friendly and helpful. We had dinner every night (and breakfast every morning) in the dining room and were always pleased with the service and food. You can also receive the WIFI signal in the bar/restaurant area but the signal was strong enough we also got it in our room. If you come to Alpe d'Huez for the biking, hiking, skiing or simple beauty of the mountain then this hotel will serve you well. If you are looking for fancy, look elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bollenstreek
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a very special cycle event and we were made to feel part of the family from the very start of the trip. We never saw a member of staff without a smile and a warm greeting. The rooms had great views and as an added bonus you could keep your bike on your balcony or in your room, which I have not experienced before and is a real advantage when you take expensive bikes away. the food was great, we were able to work with the chef to tailor a special evening BBQ the night before our race which created a great atomasphere supported of course by the helpful staff! We would highly recomend this hotel for it's warm and friendly atomasphere, location (which is excellent) and super staff.

Room Tip: Select or book a balcony room, the views are stunning!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Johan T
Bordeaux
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My bedroom had no heating for two days, and when I informed the Hotel
Manager, I was told that the maintenance man had other hotels to look after and that I was not the only person with heating problems.
At the dinner table, it was very difficult to catch the attention of the sullen looking waitresses who repeatedly neglected to give water re-fills. When I ordered a beer and sipped it in the lounge, I could hear the staff saying "as she gon yet?" I often didn't have access to the lounge as the door was locked. I felt like I was encroaching in their space. I stayed nine days and the bedroom was never cleaned nor the towels ever changed. There was a heavy layer of dust under the beds. A very unpleasant experience. Something seriously off about the comportment of the staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BillyWise

Travellers are raving about these L'Alpe-d'Huez hotels

Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Well I went with my school on a trip and the rooms were cramped and basic with limited storage for things and uncomfortable beds. the food was worse than school dinners and the vegetarian option was either like it or lump it, overall the food was inedible and the lack of pastries on a morning had mold on the bottom. The location was ideal, next to the ski lift to the slopes. The evening activities were ok but it was shocking how we had to pay for them on top of the original cost. The prices at the bar and for things around the hotel were shocking and everything in the village was expensive for what it was. The skiing was amazing and was brilliant! Also the staff seemed friendly enough. Overall the hotel was rubbish but we were there for the skiing not the hotel. It was a huge disappointment!

Room Tip: Make sure to try and get a room with a balcony to keep rooms cooler and to have more space or don...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Charlotte Berna... F
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Rooms where small, dirty, damp and in need of a very good clean. wallpaper pelling off walls, damp celling, snot on back of door etc. Food was awful wrose than school dinners we where even given mouldly croissants! I would not stay again.

however it is a good loaction and reps where very pestanst.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Enya R
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This hotel has many positives and negatives. On the positive side the staff were helpful, polite and there when required. The hotel is positioned near the slopes with good access to the lifts. On the negative, the rooms were cramped, poorly furnished and crowded. Whilst I expect to only receive what you pay for, to share a room with 2 others was going a bit far. Three beds in a small room with a shared facility is a bit much to ask. The hotel was full with school parties. My experience has taught me to question at the time of booking the exact room being offered and whether or not the hotel is catering for schools.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends