“Lovely gem of a chalet + outstanding hosts”
Review of Chalet Cannelle

Chalet Cannelle
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I enjoyed my experience at Chalet Cannelle so much, it moved me to post on TA for the first time. The chalet was exactly what I hoped it would be-- and more. The house is lovingly restored, incredibly cozy, and care is put into every detail of your stay (I loved the fresh flowers and little jar of local candy in my room). It feels luxurious & stylish yet comfortable and authentic to the region. I loved sitting in the main room with good music and a glass of wine in the evenings watching the sunset after a long day of hiking.

Beyond the beautiful setting, the hosts are what made it so wonderful for me. Traveling alone and without a car is sometimes difficult, but Lorraine and Andy made it easy. They took the time to provide me with recommendations, and looked after me with care my entire stay. It is clear that they love what they do and care about each guest, which results in a fantastic experience. I was touched by the kind note they left under my door my last day when I had to leave at 5am letting me know a takeaway breakfast was packed up and waiting for me in the fridge. They really go above and beyond. And they are such great & interesting people-- I think I could have forgone exploring and just hung out with them all day if they would have let me!

I will be going back! I do recommend a car, but it is doable without one as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at Chalet Cannelle for 3 nights (before moving on to Morzine for a week long stay at a different chalet) but we could have easily stayed there for much longer. The chalet itself was beautifully decorated and furnished to a very high standard and was situated in a lovely quiet position just outside the town with spectacular views over the mountains. The bedrooms were spacious and spotlessly clean with comfortable beds and pillows and high quality bathrooms. In fact the nights at Chalet Cannelle were the best nights sleep I've had in a long time! The living area of the chalet was spacious and comfortable and very homely and it was a lovely place to sit and relax before and after dinner.

Lorraine and Andy the chalet hosts were great. They were friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. Lorraine was there offering cups of tea and snacks when we'd returned from a day of sightseeing and Andy was always there in the kitchen cooking up a sumptuous feast for us! They made us feel really comfortable and welcome and gave us great tips and advice on places to visit during our stay.

As for the food, it was definitely a highlight of our trip (we paid extra for a catered stay). Andy is an excellent chef and provided us with mouthwatering dinners each night each themed to a different country. We are still talking a week later about the amazing risotto ball starter and delicious banana and butterscotch pudding (of which my partner had two portions!). He even made salad taste nice! We also loved the cheese course each night as we got to taste a variety of different cheeses (all of which Lorraine was very knowledgeable about). The breakfasts were also great and set us up for a long day in the mountains with a selection of cereals, croissants, yoghurts, fresh fruit and a hot option which was different each day.

The chalet is positioned in a very quiet setting on the outskirts of the town of Chatel (15 min walk or few mins drive) and we found it was an excellent base as there are such a lot of things to do in that area. Once of our favourite days of the holiday was going up to the top of Morclan from Chatel and then walking down the mountain via Lake Mouille and Lake Vonne. It was stunning and we would highly recommend it. The new swimming pool at Chatel is also worth a visit as there aren't many places you can go and swim in an outdoor pool whilst looking over the mountains!

We would definitely like to go back to Chalet Cannelle for a longer stay both in summer and winter and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of booking a holiday in that area. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks Andy and Lorraine for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and finished to a high standard. We opted for Capra as it had a balcony wi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed 2 nights with another 4 friends during the "Porte du Soleil MTB event" and have to say that Lorraine and Andy were top, very friendly, available, helpfull and all this in a great Chalet. Go there, you will enjoy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed for a week in March 2014 and can’t praise Chalet Cannelle or the lovely hosts, Lorraine and Andy enough. The Chalet is stunning and was a cosy, relaxed home from home. We struggled to choose a destination but were swayed by the gorgeous website and it certainly did not disappoint. Our bedroom was immaculate, comfortable and had gorgeous views. The food was amazing, fresh and so delicious - you really should start cooking courses!

Thank you both so much for organising absolutely everything for us (airport transfers, lift passes, ski hire, taking us to and from the slopes every day and even an planning us an evening out!) - you made our holiday wonderfully relaxing and we can't wait to return :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily M
Reviewed 7 July 2014

A perfect escape for our small family of three. Perfect hosts where nothing was too much trouble - unobtrusive buflore when needed, & stacks of useful local knowledge. Their hospitality even ran to dropping & collecting us one evening out so we could enjoy a special birthday celebration at a fab local restaurant they recommended!
The location is awe inspiring with mountain views to die for, enjoyed from the chalet's little wooden terrace or floor to ceiling windows.
Deliciously comfortable bedrooms, with fresh flowers, & spotless contemporary bathrooms gave us the luxury you'd expect from these guys! Our 10 year old daughter loved her own bedroom with cute cuddly toys included!
A memorable weekend which we hope to repeat again one day!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a warm and personalized experience staying at this beautiful chalet renovated with care by the owner if this bed and breakfast. We had a lovely home cooked meal and thoroughly enjoyed the company of our evening.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I came for four nights to do a skiing course. The chalet is amazing, beautifully furnished with spectacular views. Lorraine and Andy were fantastic hosts. Andy is an amazing cook, all meals were superb. Lorraine was great at organising everything and accommodating changes, ski passes, lifts etc. Within a few hours, I realised how lucky i had been to find this place and was lucky enough that there was a room available for part of the Easter holidays. It really was so good that i booked a return visit for less than two weeks time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo