“The Best run Mark Warner Hotel we have ever been to”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Les Deux-Alpes
Chalet Hotel Berangere
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in Les Deux-Alpes
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Have never been on a Mark Warner Skiing holiday before but have been on many summer holidays with them. So was amazed to find such a well run hotel with excellent food where one was sat down at the table at the time booked. The wine was passable although could have been chilled. The rooms were average but the piste view was magnificent and no noise from other rooms. Top tip take a towel as one is only given a hand towel to dry with.The bar area was let down by exhausted furniture , split cushions with foam poking out , and all the chairs bodged together with 6inch screws. The swiming pool while small was good fun. Being able to ski from the side of the hotel is a previously unexperienced joy.
Evolution2 ski school helped my return to skiing and the rest of my family alot.
All in all a good operation

Room Tip: take a towel.Get a room with piste View. ipod charger, bring lots of money if you want to eat out, p...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ElGrumpo

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed here for week with my wife for ski trip, our friends had their kids hence staying in this hotel rather than a chalet. Great staff our favourites were Brady, Chloe, Wendy, Dan and Ben. It's definitely ski in and out so a big bonus. Breakfast had a choice of cereal, croissant were good, after the first day the sausages were not cooked enough so I avoided them.
Afternoon cake, soup, biscuits, coffee tea good but eaten by greedy folk so if you're not there for four thirty you will go without.
Didn't appreciate parents thinking it reasonable for children to make appalling noise "playing" the piano - would remove but apparently everyone says this in the feedback. Dinner - fair choice and good portions
Wine - fine and as much as you want. Room balcony unbelievable view from windows and evening sun superb, our friends were in an appalling room despite being repeat guests so you must insist on balcony room.
Towel change is wrong for the price i.e. The towels are changed once. The shower was knackered and splashes everywhere, they should take the bath out and put in a decent shower room that reflects the price.
The hotel is tired and needs some serious modernising rather than tinkering, clearly the appeal of this hotel is the child care, I wouldn't stay in it unless they reduce the price to reflect the quality. I doubt if I will be there again and don't recommend this hotel although the ski school they use Evolution2 are superb and I would certainly recommend them.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LeSinge77
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had a fantastic week here in March with our three children. We have skied with the children for the last 5 years and have previously gone with Ski Esprit and so that is our reference point.
We had a very nice flight from Gatwick to Grenoble with the whole airport experience at both ends being very easy. Of note is that there is a shortage of trolleys at the Grenoble end so having bags that you can wheel is beneficial. The MW crew at Grenoble were excellent and got us on the coaches quickly and off to the resort. The journey was about 2 hours and we were delivered to the front door where the team took our bags up to our rooms.

During the week that we were at the hotel I would guess that about half of the guests were there without children. Having been used to previous holidays where everyone was on a family holiday this adds a different angle to the holiday. We were very much more concerned to make sure that the children kept quiet and stayed away from the bar, lounge etc than we would have done if it was an entirely family friendly hotel. For some this might be a problem. It was also clear that some of the guests were unhappy with children being around which is slightly odd when booking with a company that has expertise with family holidays.

The hotel is great and I would dispute the comments on previous reports about it being “shabby” and “tired”. Of course it has some wear and tear as it gets a lot of use but I thought it was tastefully decorated with only minor issues surrounding upkeep. We had a family suite which gave us loads of room, two bathrooms and a glorious view over the slopes. The beds were comfortable and rooms well insulated from noise. All rooms had external electric shutters which meant that you could shut out all light in the morning to keep the kids asleep if required!

The restaurant was fantastic with a great breakfast in a buffet style but with the option to get eggs to order. Evening meal was a la carte and with a good choice every night. I can’t fault the dining experience. The wine choice was good and you are given a bottle or more during the dinner. If you want red and your partner white you get two bottles. You have to book a dining time on the day or you can sit at the “social table” at 8pm. We always got the time that we requested.

The bar is well stocked and I think well priced €4.50 for a pint in happy hours and €5.50 at other times. Afternoon tea was a real spread from 4:30 to 5:30 and consisted of soup, sandwiches, cakes, bread etc.

The hotel is on the slopes and you can ski down to a chair that takes you up to the main ski area or a quiet drag lift that gives you access to the Vallee Blanche side of town. The complaints about access to the town from the ski slopes is correct. Its either a black or a narrow green. If you take the bubble or cable back down the slope you still have a long walk or a queue for a drag to be able to ski back to the hotel. However, some of the chair lifts allow you to return to the resort on them so you can get back without having to do either run. Personally, I enjoyed the black down to the resort as a real challenge at the end of the day but its state was very much dependent on the weather!

Childcare was excellent though we did feel that the childcare teams didn’t take the children out of the hotel enough even though the weather was glorious. Overall, we felt that Esprit offered the younger children a better experience than MW. Those that were skiing went with a local ski school (not ESF) who were excellent but they were mixed in with French parties and could be in groups up to 8 (and one of ours was in a group of 9). The ski school organisers are in the hotel bar every evening to address any questions or concerns. We booked a private lesson with them and this was well worth the €40 per hour.

Evening club for the kids was a DVD and for the young ones they could sleep there and we then carried them up t bed when we were ready (up to 11pm, I think). Onesies were a definite must for the club!

Ski hire is done from a shop under the hotel and on arrival you can book a time so there was no mad scramble for the kit – great idea, well done MW.

The hotel offers a day trip to a couple of the local resorts that are covered with the ski pass. These take about 45 mins in a coach and costs €30/person. We were going to do this but it doesn’t work out with childcare as you drop your children off suited and booted at the same time that you would need to be in town picking up the coach.

My wife used the spa and was very positive and thought that it was excellent value. You need to book a time at the beginning of the week if you want to use it at a time at the end of the day.
The pool and sauna etc ere closed on a number of occasions for maintenance and we were led to believe that this was a recurring theme.

Overall we loved this holiday but wouldn’t rush to go back to Les Deux Alpes. We’ve already booked our next holiday with MW at another resort.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jon_Hobson
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I spent a week at this hotel on a ‘Learn to Ski weekend with a group of 10 solo holidaymakers.
The hotel is not for those who want somewhere quiet to chill out as it appears to me aimed at families, as even though it was school term there were a lot of children staying there. It also appears to be aimed at British holidaymakers as all the staff were British and so were the guests.

The location is good, it is right next to some nursery slopes and lifts to the higher slopes. The town centre is only a ten minute walk away, and although I never needed its use, there is a free bus to a from the town, which has a stop not far from the hotel.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

The food was somewhat of a mixed bag. The breakfast were OK, …..just. There was a selection of cereals, bread and cooked options. However it appears that breakfast must take the hotel by surprise as the cooked options were not always fully cooked and the plates were not warmed (I belong to the group that believes that hot food should be served on warm plates). I stayed away from the sausages as they always appeared ‘raw’, on one particularly bad morning I saw almost everyone open the lid to the container with the sausages, only to close it without taking any. I did complain about them being under-cooked, but I was assured that they were cooked. Likewise the bacon and even the tomatoes were not fully cooked!. However I was not aware of anyone coming down with food poisoning.

Afternoon high tea was good, and the evening meals were excellent, with plenty of wine, and the staff were very attentive. Young children had the option to be served earlier, so the evening meals were more relaxed.

My room was pretty bad. It didn’t have a toilet, and although I knew this at the time of the booking I was assured that there were plenty of communal toilets……they weren’t. On each floor there was just one single communal toilet that opened directly onto the corridor, these didn’t even have hand basins to wash your hands, although antiseptic gel was provided The basement had further male and female toilets, which were better, and these had hand basins.
Rooms did not have tea/coffee making facilities (which I feel is a basic requirement) a fridge or a safe. And whilst there was a 24 hour self-service kitchen with unlimited milk, a kettle and a microwave, I have not used a hotel in recent years that did not have these basic items in the rooms (perhaps I need to get out more).

Furthermore my room was fairly noisy, I was certainly aware whenever the people in the rooms next to mine used the shower, wash basin or toilet (yes these rooms had toilets).

I have given this hotel only two stars, perhaps if I had stayed with my family when my children were much younger (primary school age) I may have given it an extra star as the children did appear to enjoy themselves. And as a parent I know that If the children are enjoying themselves then I too will relax and enjoy myself.

The hotel is let down by the poor toilet facilities, noisy room, lack of facilities in the rooms, poorish breakfast. On the plus side the staff were great, the afternoon high tea and evening meals were good and the location is pretty good. The hotel has a small swimming pool, sauna and steam room, however I can’t comment on these as after a day skiing I really could be bothered making use of them.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank thirts
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Recently returned from a trip to this hotel. I have visited most of the Mark Warner ski hotels and would put this one in the middle.
Location is everything. There is nothing better than a ski in ski out as this hotel is however only downfall is coming home you've either got a very busy green or a very busy black run to get you back to the hotel. It is better than a bus ride or a long walk so you can cope with it!
The room I had was lovely - large and overlooked the piste A lick of paint would improve it but I was more than happy with my accomodation.
I had 2 'grumbles' with the hotel. First the Wifi is rubbish. You can really only use it in the public areas though it was fine there but in other Mark Warner properties the signal is as strong in the bedrooms so was disappointed this time as I do use it a lot.
My second grumble is the food. It is probably the poorest food I have experienced in a MW hotel and there seems to be cost cutting going on! (possibly to pay for the free ski pass we got!). If you weren't down bang on time(4.30) to afternoon tea all the cake had gone! We came back to the hotel at 4.50 one afternoon and there was no cake left. Also there is no permanent hot drinks buffet which you get in many of the MW hotels. You can only get it at the bar for a cost outside of normal meal times. The evening meals where adequate but nowhere near up to the standard of other MW hotels. The selection was ok but poor in comparision to their other hotels. As always the wine was fine and unlimited! Also usually at the welcome meeting there are drinks and nibbles. The drinks only came when asked and there were no nibbles!
I read on here one comment about MW going back to using ESF. I strongly disagree! Evolution are fabulous! We used them and were very happy with the. We saw ski schools of ESF on the slopes with far too many in one group, children falling over and the instructors not caring or stopping to help them (I picked one little girl up one day who was in tears whilst her group and ESF instructor had left her!)
The big thing missing from MW now is the ski hosting, though I know it is not their fault! Yes they plan routes and arrange a lunch meeting point but it's just not the same. This used to be their USP for me and now they don't offer this I think we're at the point where we are going to try other companies. I would guess this is part of the reason that there has been so much discounting and offers of free lift passes this season which in turn might be the reason that the food quality and quantity has slipped.

Positives - Location, location, location and I was very happy with my room.
Negatives, Food & Wifi

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the piste!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Angel28r
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Berangere is a large hotel (63 rooms) situated at one end of Les Deux Alpes and used by Mark Warner (MW) throughout the ski season. Its a typical MW set up with basic rooms (ours incl. shower, bath, TV & balcony) but slightly larger than the rooms I have stayed in in other resorts used by MW (Val, Meribel, Courcheval, St Anton etc.). From a skiing point of view, its very well situated as you can ski to the front door, the nursery slopes are immediately out the back of the hotel and the Belle Etoile chair lift is only 100 metres away. The hotel is situated at one end of town but its only a 5 - 10 min walk to the main shopping street. Generally, the hotel is in good shape but the decor is dated. As usual, the food, is good with a hearty breakfast on offer (cereals, breads, toast, croissants cooked fresh, and a selection from the hot buffet), afternoon tea is served from 4.30 until 5.30 and is an assortment of soup, bread, selection of cakes/biscuits and tea / coffee and finally the 3 course dinner served from 7.30pm with a free wine (two choices of red, white & rose). The hotel is well run by Louise, the hotel manger, and enthusiastically supported by her young team who do work hard.

Depending upon your point of view, the hotel provides excellent child facilities (so I am told as I have no need) and this can result in some 'excitement' in the public areas. They do have a small outdoor patio area which we used daily given the fantastic weather we were lucky to enjoy as well as a reasonable sized pool

In my opinion, the skiing in LDA is a little restrictive and therefore MW do offer a weekly trip to Serre Chevalier & Alpe D'Huez - certainly the former is worth a visit as the skiing is extensive and its a pretty ski area with plenty for the intermediate skier.

Its the team's night off on a Thursday so guests need to fend fro themselves and we dined at La Porte d' A Cote which was ok to good - there is plenty of choice throughout the village.

We had a great time and the hotel is definitely one of the better that MW offer - we would be happy to return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Chalet Hotel Berangere is ideally located right on the edge of the pistes which means that you can enjoy ski in and out. The hotel is clean, comfortable and very well run. The food is good, with a varied menu and free (good) wine at dinner. Specific mention should also be made if the excellent music that was played in the bar.

The staff are really friendly and efficient and the child care is first class. The staff helped our one year old daughter settle in and the activities were varied and enjoyable for her. Knowing that she was being so well looked after meant that we were able to enjoy the skiing even more.

Les Deux Alpes is a great ski resort but probably best for intermediate skiers, for whom there are plenty of slopes to challenge them and help them improve their skills. There are not a huge number of difficult black slopes but advanced skiers can still have a good time.

We were really impressed with the Mark Warner set up and would return to this hotel and go on another MW holiday. However, there are a few minor criticisms which stop us giving it a 5 star rating:

1. The mattress in our daughter's cot was in a dreadful state and cannot have been comfortable. In fact it was so bad that we resorted to letting her sleep in her pram at night.

2. Everything stops on Thursday: no housekeeping and no food available. Whilst I am all for giving the staff a day off - after all, they work very hard - there must be a way to stagger their time off so that the hotel can operate a normal function throughout the week.

3. Charging €15 for wifi is a bit tight, especially when it only works in the bar area (no service in restaurant, on terrace or in bedrooms). Given that MW holidays are not cheap, it seems a bit much to have to pay for what is now viewed as an essential service. At the very least, MW should invest in a better wifi hub so that the service is available throughout the hotel.

In spite of these shortcomings, Chalet Hotel Berangere is a great hotel and we would highly recommend it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family