“Superb hotel, well deserved 5 stars”
Review of Brunerie Hotel

Brunerie Hotel
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Les Deux-Alpes
Derbyshire
“Superb hotel, well deserved 5 stars”
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Fantastic! Spent a week here on 15 December 2012. I really do not understand how people can give this place anything less than 5 stars! It's fantastic value with the (A.I) all inclusive deal, the staff are superb and really can't do enough for you, i wish people would stop the ' basil faulty' remarks about the owner as he was great and very welcoming. Rooms are clean and comfortable, ski boot warmers in the locker room were welcome in the morning! The food was great with plenty of variety and although its buffet style there's still great waiters to make sure everything is fine. The A.I bar was open between 4 and 10 and served french Stella and many spirts in a nice lounge area with open fire. If I had to critisise anything it would be that there was no diet coke on the A.I and that the jacuzzi was not activated until 4, but this really did not detract from the holiday.
The skiing was fantastic for all levels as you can can ski from the very top to almost the bottom on blue runs which is pretty rare for ski resorts and means you do not need to be experienced to see the best views! I would recommend planning your route very carefully if your a boarder as there are several flat sections on the main runs. we tended to avoid the chandry express bubble as it can be busy and you have the stand up for a quite a while. There's loads of restaurants on the mountain for a cheeky vin chaud. We had plenty of snow when I was there and as such the off piste was incredible and very easy to see and plan your routes from the lifts.
The night life in deux alpe is some of the best in France. Would recommend the polar bear pub which has fantastic log fire hanging from the ceiling and sells leffe by the pint! Smithys bar, smokey joes and the secret are also good.
Transfers were only 2hrs and all other travel was fine.
This hotel was a real find and I will definately be coming back when I return to deux alpe.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Oli S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Ashmore, Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2012

We've spent the last 6 months travelling around Europe and after each trip we say we'll review out hotels on Trip advisor but never get round to it. But this was such a great holiday I thought I'd take time to share it with everyone.

We booked through crystal ski and had an amazing stay the week before Christmas. I think we were some of the first to stay in the hotel for the season so some of the staff were still learning their roles, but they were always helped out by the wonderful and energetic manager Michele! Some people have compared him to Basil Faulty and, whilst I can certainly see the resemblance in his mannerisms and the way he takes charge of everything, this hotel is definitely no Faulty Towers!

The rooms, whilst small, were always spotlessly clean, the food excellent in the restaurant, the lounge bar a great place to relax and the staff a credit to the hotel - so friendly and helpful. With the all inclusive package offered by Crystal you'd get a good breakfast in the morning, a packed lunch to take out each day (saving you a fortune in food on the mountain), a wonderful dinner in the evening and free drinks from 4-10pm every night. The only things I can pick fault with is that the hot breakfast was average, (but there are great pastries, breads, cold meats, cheese and cereals to fill up on) and the lift was very small (but we just used the stairs all the time so not a problem).

We were also lucky enough to have great snow whilst there and enjoyed 6 full days of skiing (with some sore legs at the end). The hotel is in a great location, a short walk from the main lifts and you can ski back to across the road from the hotel at the end of the day. Even though the hotel encouraged people to store their skis at the hire shop, we and quite a few others used the hotel storage room as it was more convenient. just ask at reception. They even give you a padlock to lock up your skis and had a great boot room for drying you boots every evening.

A great stay and a great hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have great views but are a little noisier. Rooms at the back are a lot quieter an...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Lingfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2012

We visited in April 2012 and again in Dec 2012, the hotel has lost none of its charm or personnel. It is a great location close to the ski lifts and the family that run it do everything to ensure you enjoy yourselves. A must for food and location.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Tina J
Essex, England
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We spent all of xmas here on what was my first ski-trip with the family in Dec 2011.
I have to say before we left I read the reviews and worried a little but I shouldnt have worried at all, I loved the hotel & the food and drinks that were served on AI.
Every evening after a day of skiing, we would have dinner and then go and sit in the lounge bar - perfect evenings were spent there, the kids would play pool and they made some friends as well which was nice.
Great resort as well - I would go back.
The only negative I would have to say is that it is too hot in the rooms and even with a window open at night - it was still too hot.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank voakly
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2012

When I booked this holiday I was concerned about the reviews I had seen. The one that made me laugh was likening the hotel manager to Basil Faulty - How accurate it was
The hotel was referbished jsut 2 years ago but was tired, shabby and had a DIY feel to the redecoration. The food was ok but the best meal was the 1st nigh and then went slighly downhill from then on. Although there was nothing that I disliked. The hotel managerw was the star of the show every evening and breakast. I think that France was generally expensive and the holiday was good value for money in comparison. Would I return again - too France no. I did not enjoy the skiing. Bad connections between lifts. we spent a lot of time etting from 1 lift to another. Too many narrow linking slopes that you could not ski on, you just got from A to B. a waste of time especially as by the end of each link the lactic acid had started to burn the thighs. Only one good restaurant on the slopes. The packed lunch given as part of the 'all inclusive' was medicore at best. Ohh nearly forgot the 'spa'. mankey is the only word to describe a the pool area. Clean towels were provided though.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Erica S
TERRANOVAPLAGNE, Responsable relations clients at Brunerie Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
Dear customer,
First we would like to thank you for your comment.
We are disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel but even more in France. We hope that you will find a destination that you would apreciate more.
Kind regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012

This hotel is a reasonably priced, family-oriented hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The food was great family fare - we were on an all-inclusive deal which I found to be very good value. They even provide packed lunches for the whole family for when you're going out skiing. The room was comfortable, clean and warm and well laid-out for families, with bunkbeds for the children in a separate area (ie easy to stay up without disturbing the children after their bedtime). The staff were friendly, polite and helpful. Some people have noted an issue with noise from the street in the early hours - our room faced onto the street but we only experienced this on the first night, ie Saturday night. The rest of the week weren't woken at all. The kids loved the pool as well.
A really excellent hotel for families, with a lovely personal family-run feel to it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Fenhen
TERRANOVAPLAGNE, Responsable relations clients at Brunerie Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear Customer,

We would like first to thank you for the time you take to write a comment on hotel La Brunerie. We are very pleased toç read that you have enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you for next winter.
Kind regards.
yorkshire
Reviewed 17 April 2012

What a find. Lived up to all the great comments already recorded on Trip Advisor.
The staff were very good and always had a warm welcome. I could not criticise any aspect of care we were given during our week stay, Very Well l Done.

All inclusive drinks from 4-10pm including beer, wine, spirits and tea, coffee and hot chocolate. Something mentioned something when I booked but I did not register too much as had never encountered anything like this other than in a catered chalet and that was only wine with the meal.

We were also sent us off with packed lunches every day, sandwich, can of drink or water (including Perrier sparkling water), piece of fruit, bag of crisps, mini Mars bar, small cake or jelly – great idea. Did get bit boring by end of week, but then so would pizza every day?

Food in restaurant was great. Fantastic salad bar – every day included different items. We would have been happy for this to be our mains. Pudding – lots of variety and also serve yourself ice cream.
Mains usually 2 choices mostly a meat and a fish, sure there was also a vegetarian option for those who wanted it. Great food and much better than having an array of items on display everyday where you try a bit of everything and quickly become bored.
The Tartiflette was excellent, the best I have tasted. I asked for the recipe and the Manager arranged this for me. Many thanks

We got a great room at the front of the hotel overlooking the main street. Lots and lots of light from the windows which spanned the whole of the outside wall, including a balcony. As soon as we got in here I remembered the comments on Trip Advisor about the noise on a night from people coming home in the early hours and from the deliveries to the next door supermarket from around 4am. We did find this a problem (not that it’s anything to do with the hotel) but on balance the room outlook and size outweighed this issue. If we returned we would travel armed with ear plugs.

Hired our skis from the shop over the road and again had a great rapport with the guys who got us kitted out with skis and boots.

A real gem would not hesitate to recommend and hope to return.
Oh and by the way the snow was great up on top of the mountain and the sun was glorious.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank acmk
TERRANOVAPLAGNE, Responsable relations clients at Brunerie Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Customer,
Thank you for the time you spent on writing a comment on Tripadvisor.
We are very pleased that you enjoy our All inclusive drinks basis, basis that will be also available next winter. We hope to welcome you again.
Sincerely.