“Our favourite ski hotel”
Review of Hotel Le Gentiana

Hotel Le Gentiana
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Tignes
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Our favourite ski hotel”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This the third time, my daughter and I have stayed at Le Gentiana and each time it just gets better & better. Serge & Nadia recognised us, from before, and welcomed us with open arms. Just when you thought the food couldn't get better, each meal left us with the wow factor. The highlight had to be the starter of crab, beetroot jelly & beetroot consume. The wine list is extensive, and not too expensive, considering the quality. All the staff, from the reception, bar & restaurant, go out of their way, to be as helpful and friendly, without being intrusive. Nothing seems to be too much trouble for them and it was good to engage in conversation with them. The spa facilities are great and it's a lovely touch, to be provided with dressing gowns & slippers. The lounge is spacious and comfortable with plenty of armchairs. The bar staff will bring your drinks to you, along with free 'pre-diner nibbles'. The rooms are indeed a tad small, with limited storage space, but this is no different from most ski hotels. The water is always hot and fresh towels are supplied every day and the beds are made daily. We will definitely be returning next year.
There was a previous comment about Neilson. Personally, having often travelled with them, I have no complaints. Our rep went 'the extra mile' to find me a bar that was showing Premiership football, when all the other bars were showing rugby. We used Twinner ski services, who were excellent. My daughter had problems with her UK bought boots, and they were so helpful in solving the problem.
All in all a great week in Tignes.

Room Tip: Try to upgrade to a balcony room, for better views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Waterloo, Belgium
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We stayed at Gentiana with the group of 12 people in January 2014. All of us were very impressed with friendliness and hospitality of Nadia and Serge - they really did their utmost to make our stay unforgettable. The quality and diversity of food was really exceptional! I will definitely try to get back the other day. Many thanks, Nadia and Serge - you are really fantastic host!
Andrei Borysov

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Friendly, excellent service, good food and a comfortable room. Very convenient for lifts, bars and restuarants. Serge, Nadia and all of the other staff, could not be more helpful. If I had to be really picky, the only improvement would be a supply of english breakfast tea bags (I left mine at home) and a variation from boiled eggs with the continental breakfast. I would be more than happy to return to the Gentiana.

I would not use our tour operator, Neilson, again. Prior to departure, Neilson had not got our room allocations correct, as per my spreadsheet, forwarded via our agent. They prevaricated for ages and then told us to sort it when we arrived. I sent our details direct to the Gentiana and Serge sorted it with absolutely no problems. Our rep. postponed the welcome meeting, reorganising it for a bar across town and then didn't send the promised text confirmation. There were well over 20 Neilson guests in the Gentiana, more than all of their other accommodation added together. He then failed to meet our 3 beginners, on the first morning of ski school, as promised. The excuse of being a few minutes late was difficult to believe as our group waited for 10 minutes before sorting it themselves. We did not hear from him again.

Neilson use Intersport for hire equipment. Be careful that you get what you ordered or better still, go elsewhere. Check that din settings are not too high and that the skis have been waxed. We were a group of 17, 15 of whom hired equipment. 7 of them had problems. The most serious problem resulted in an injured knee. The bindings were set to 8.5 and did not release in a fall. I am heavier, taller and a more agressive skier than the injured party. I have never had my din setting, on my own skis, set above 6. One of our group returned her skis to complain, she was told that they were beginners skis and that she should pay for an upgrade. She pointed out that she had already paid for performance skis! The 15 collected their hire equipment armed with their Neilson vouchers and a spreadsheet giving names and exact hire requirements. The Gentiana management can recommend good local hire shops. Just give them a call or send an email.

I hope that the above helps you to enjoy your skiing in a great skiing area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at Le Gentiana. Unfortunately I hurt my leg on my first day on the slopes and was not able to ski for the rest of week. Serge and staff were very helpful and I was given excellent ideas on what I could do for the rest of the holiday.

It helped that the hotel was comfortable and homely and I was able to enjoy the pool, sauna, jacuzzi and steam room.

The food was outstanding - the best I have had on any trip.

Thanks to everyone at Le Gentiana for looking after us. We hope to come back (and hopefully I will be able to ski next time!)

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Wendy I
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

What a fabulous hotel?
Very friendly helpful staff. Near the lift (100m) to main square where the main Tignes lifts are, ie the Parafour x6 chair and gondola lift. A path to the other lower lift also leads from the square too, so it's all here. The area is pleasant too with stall in the streets twice a week selling local cheese and cold meats. There are nice gift shops too, not selling the usual tat but they have French flair to offer nice things.
The hotel itself is a gem. The meals offered each night are of amazing quality. You are offered two choices of starter, main and desert most nights, except when they have a special meal on the menu. The land and sea buffet on one night is a sight to behold - half crabs, oysters, salmon, urchin, mussels, prawns, lobster - and that's is only the sea selection.
Breakfast is a typical but varied buffet selection.
The rooms are fine, and many have great views of the pistes and mountains, but are nothing too special. Mine was fine but did suffer with noisy plumbing!
Many people have said to me that Tignes is ugly, and I am surprised as from my perspective I thought it was great, but we had loads of snow so everything looked white and pretty.
I stayed with family over Christmas and had a wonderful time so would recommend this hotel and resort to others.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bill_Fareham
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for a week over New Years time in 2012-2013.
I cannot praise this hotel enough!
1. Location - virtually ski in ski out
2. Food. The included meals (breakfast and dinner) were absolutely superb. Best food I have ever experienced and the wine list extensive.
3. Service was lovely. We always had the same table in the restaurant. Found the service never too intrusive and meals were always very relaxed and enjoyable. Serge is a wonderful host and made New Years Eve truly memorable.
4. Facilities: pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room all downstairs in your building which was really great to do each evening after a long day of skiing.
5. Value for money was excellent. Given the incredible quality and amount of food, the included lift pass and the facilities of this hotel I can't fault the price at all.

We'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jess240790
Buckingham
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed with our 2 grown up children for the Christmas week. From the moment of 1st contact to the end of the stay Serge and the team were attentive and tried hard to make the stay the best that it could be. The food was excellent and varied - and when my daughter did not like what was on the menu one night they happily cooked her something else. The Christmas Eve meal was great and it was funny to see Serge running round each table showing off the Christmas dessert at the end!!

It is close to the slopes and was great to have our passes and car parking all sorted for us on arrival. The rooms are small (but then many alpine hotels are similar) but clean and comfortable. Always warm with lots of hot water. There is a nice little spa which is great at the end of the day on the slopes (sadly the Jacuzzi was out of action when we were there but the sauna and pool were lovely).

The general ambiance is relaxed and the bar is very quiet with lots of seating.

My only (minor) gripe is that the Wi-Fi - which you pay for is very flaky and slow. Probably something to improve - or drop the charges on.

Having spent many years in Tignes, typically in self-catering I would most certainly go back again if I am looking for a hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room with a balcony
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family