“Altapura cloud#9”
Review of Altapura

Altapura
Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
Reviewed 25 January 2013

We recently stayed at Altapura and we loved it! The hotel design is awsome, reminds me natural/sustainable constructions but high-end style on the same time. I also liked how ergonomics is well used through the living areas.
The super large windows in the room allows watching mountain life aspecially on very early mornings (interesting to see how the ratrak is working through)

We were disapointed by one thing : the kids playing room was on the -1st floor, that means an underground room with no windows. This room was also a little bit cold all the time. That is why I didn't like spending time there although my baby was always asking for the kids-room...

Regarding the staff, the service agents - chauffeurs were attentive and responsive. Special thanks to Julien, he took very good care of us. He went over and beyond our expectations several times during our stay. A detail-oriented gentleman with good manners ! He was proactive in helping, for example when he noticed that we were bored to be in the children's room, he figured out how to fix it end we had an awesome evening because we where spending interesting time including our baby.
I was a big fan of the land rover service, they always drove us where we needed to go and brought us back on request.

To sum up, that trip to France was so special & lovely mainly because we stayed at Altapura!! We'll remember the design & the high service agents!

Room Tip: windows overlook the pool
3  Thank LizaKin

Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights with our 2 year old daughter and loved the altapura.
Check in was very easy. Our bags were immediately taken to our room and our car was parked.
The room was very clean with a nice view of the slopes. They immediately came to our room and gave us everything our daughter needed (small robe, made her bed, etc).
The wifi works very well. The hotel pool is neat. My daughter loved going outside while swimming.
The breakfast was nice - nothing too fancy but good.
We used the free shuttle service too. They took us and picked us up from dinner each night.
My husband bought ski pass through hotel and was pleased with how easy it was.
Checkout was smooth.
We would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank ladybugx87
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Firstly from the outset can I say that this review is the first I have written on Tripadvisor. Our checking out experience was so gobsmacking that I had no choice but to write this. My friend and I arrived on January 10th at 3pm. Our room was not ready until 3.45pm so we had to wait around reception losing out on valuable time skiing. This I did not really mind. When we got our room the minibar fridge was broken and the smell from it was terrible and stank the room. We complained and it took till the evening of the 12th before they changed our fridge with a replacement. The evening we arrived we asked at reception about ski passes. The girl was very helpful and she gave us a price of 123 euro each for 3 days for the 3 valley pass. I completed a form and signed it to book the passes. However, and this is our problem, when we were leaving on Sunday 13th we were given our room bill and on it we were being charged 326 euro for the ski passes. When I queried the cost I was told that we were given an incorrect price and that we should have paid 326 as opposed to 246 euro. Now, if I had known this I would have just taken a val thorens lift pass only. The general manager was called and to my amazement he started arguing with us and insisting on us paying the higher price even though it was his member of staff who made the mistake. Now, this is a five star hotel and to have the general manager almost shouting at us(no exaggeration) I was shocked. So on principal I refused to pay the higher amount and he threatened to call the police on us. I have stayed in a lot of five star hotels and to say the least, staff are a cut above the rest. But this was treatment I would expect nowhere. I held my ground and he eventually said to the girl who was checking us out to amend the bill. By ten way our bill was 1142 euro for 3 days so they we were leaving them a significant sum of money. But can you believe this, the general manager then said to us, " Just so you know, I will be taking that money out of the girls wages who made the mistake, and she only earns 1000 euro a month". How unprofessional is that? He was the most ignorant and arrogant manager I have ever came across. I will tell everyone I know who is going to go to that resort to stay away from altapura on the basis of the establishment employing a manager who thinks he is above us all and can treat a customer like a dog. Lastly can I say the rest of the staff are very pleasant and professional which you expect in a five star hotel. But that manager needs a lesson in hotel management and manners.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
15  Thank RonanKerry
fcarbonnel, Directeur général at Altapura, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear Sir,

As you can see, I never argue on TripAdvisor with the guests because I respect every opinion as long as it comes from a true story.

I have to explain that you forgot this informations :

-You signed a contract for the ski pass coming from the station with the prices. Our staff member made a confusion between two prices, we showed you the real price on the paper you signed, the public price we are giving to the station,

-You first said when I arrived you were going on TripAdvisor if we asked for the real price,

-You threatened me to leave without paying your bill if we asked for the real price,

-I decided to remove the 72€ you asked ( and you forgot to write this too...) because you were shooting at the front desk saying you didn't want to talk to me,

I am sorry to confirm you that being a GM doesn't mean being forced to give in to threats.

I am very pleased to see that every details of your TripAdvisor report is excellent about our hotel and that you find our staff very pleasant and professionnal.

Kind Regards,

Frédéric Carbonnel
Directeur - General Manager

ALTAPURA*****

Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

After my fiancé watching this place being built for a few years we finally stayed there. Love the down stairs aspect, very well planned out, amazing finishes, wonderful indoor and outdoor pool. However the rooms I believe may have been a bit of a rushed job and will probably date pretty quickly. Service was fantastic, despite some very rude Russians testing there politeness. Food superb :-)

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Ericajames22
Reviewed 14 January 2013

After staying for 20 years at the Fitz Roy at Val Thorens we discovered the Altapura hotel just by passing by with the chairlift.
We tried it this year and were surprised to find a beautifully trendy fresh designed new hotel.Designed to satisfy skiers demandLlocated on the slope ,equipped wit an inner ski shop,a variety of three restaurants ,excellent variety of taty food,and new hi tech designed rooms facing the slopes.The bar is welcoming,the staff is willing to assist and staying there was a charming experience due to the warm touch and professional management of general director Frédéric CARBONNEL who is conducting the outstanding orchestra.We will definitely return to make Altapura our place of annual ski vacation.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Haim S
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Coming to Val Thorens just for one night in order to discover the 2-stars restaurant L'Oxalys, we were looking for a good hotel within walking distance.
Altapura turned out to be a very good surprise and se really enjoyed our stay. Service is the best I've ever experienced in the Alps, either in Megeve, Courchevel or Val d'Isere.
Rooms are nice and offer spacious bathroom.
The Spa is beautiful with indoor/outdoor pool and a exercice room.
I know that we'll come back for a longer stay.

3  Thank Jetro7
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We spent the end of the year festivities in this wonderful resort, the hotel is quite modern, different from the traditional ones in the mountain which we really enjoyed, the spa was beautiful too. Overall the service was great and we have to give a special thanks to Remi and Renat who did everything they could to satisfy the whole family, from transfers to ski lessons and babysitters..everything that we wished for!
We will be back! Thanks again

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family