“The Broken Hotel”

Pierre & Vacances Residence Le Machu Pichu
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“The Broken Hotel”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Noisy hotel with all spa and gym facilities out of use. Internet unusable. Hotel is on the slopes but a long way from the town center. Despite this still extremely noisy beyond 3am. Drinking and smoking in the central areas of the hotel made it smell.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Pierre & Vacances Center Parcs

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 11 February 2014

After getting separated from my room mates (who had the only 2 keys) I returned to the lodgings alone, a bit tipsy and very very tired. I requested a spare key or to have someone let me into the room based on the fact that I had picture ID on me and my passport was in the room. I was flatly turned down on this request and was removed from the building when i persisted to question this ridiculous stance. I was at no point hostile during the whole incident so there was no need to decide to push me (and I made sure that some pressure (although minimal) was required) from the premises to spend an at that time unknown amount of time out in the cold at almost midnight. A friend from another room found me asleep on the steps an hour or so later and I slept in his room. My room mates slept with their door open when they discovered I was not home when they returned. The other facets of the stay were at least a little better but this was unforgivable. Hence 1 star. I worry to think how younger and far more drunk guests are treated and where they may end up spending their night.
The pool is situated in the sports center in the middle of town. Not at the resort btw.
I'm used to small skiing apartments with these its not so much the size but the lay out. We were 3 in an apartment that could accommodate up to 5. If you were 5 people planning to watch some movies in the evening 2 people would have to sit on dinning chairs or the floor as we did when friends came by.
The toilet in particular is not suitable for people over 6 foot who like to close the door when using it.
The lack of an oven was also really disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Pierre & Vacances Center Parcs

Travellers are raving about these Val Thorens hotels

Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed in the Machu side of the building on the first floor, in a one bed apartment. First impressions were that it was a typical sized French apartment (small) but it was very well designed with plenty of storage. It worked really well for us as a family of 4, including 2 teenage boys. We were very impressed by the comfort of the sofa bed and the children's beds. The children's room was very dark as the only window faced onto a roofed internal courtyard, with little natural light. We left the sofa bed out all week, and moved the table so that 2 of us sat on the bed at the table, giving us a much more practical layout, as this allowed everyone to help with food prep at the table! The kitchen was great for such a small apartment; 4 ring halogen hob, dishwasher, fridge and microwave/grill. Everything that we needed. I would suggest packing extra dishwasher tablets, as the complimentary cleaning pack only contains 6 or so, and the dishwasher isn't full sized. The only down size, literally, was the size of the loo. I think you would struggle to sit on the loo and shut the door if you are close to 6 foot! There is a well stocked supermarket on the premises and very helpful staff in the ski shop on site. The reception staff were helpful and provided a kettle at great speed although it didn't appear to be a common request. The residence has an excellent location. We skied in and out every day, including lunchtimes. Very easy to do. The three major uplift points are within 2 minutes from the back door. The pistes were in excellent condition. We had fresh snow on about 4 days, resulting in loads of powder on the pistes. Brilliant! It was some of the best skiing we've experienced in the last 10 years, due to great snow, no queues and empty pistes. We usually ski at half term, but this is a brilliant alternative in a good season. Fantastic uplift. Well connected skiing. We skied 90% of VT in 6 days, plus a couple of trips out of the valley to the higher levels of Courcheval, Merible and Orelle. The red runs are easier than Tignes/Val d'Isere, and the few blacks we tried were also straight forward, although our legs were flagging at the end of the week. We thoroughly enjoyed exploring the variety of skiing. The family ski pass is good value, as a family of 4 is charged at 4 x children rates. Not the expected ice/slush spring skiing, just excellent snow. The location is great.

Room Tip: A first floor apartment means you can access the ski lockers without using a lift (level 3).
Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Ski_girl503876
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I have to say I was very apprehensive, after reading previous reviews, about staying in this residence. My husband, sister & 2 children (ages 10 & 11) stayed here for one week. This was our 10th trip to Val Thorens, having satyed previously in the Bel Horizon, Village Montanna, Chamoix Do'r & the Montagnettes. I have to say that our expectations were quite low, but we were quite happy with the overall experience. We stayed in the Machu apartments (902), which have recently been refurbished. Benchmarking against previous French ski residences, this did not rate badly. We also went for the half board option & had breakfast & dinner at La Grange, as we had previously eaten there. If you are looking for luxary & pampering this is not the place to go - there are many other hotels & resideneces that will satisfy that criteria in VT - However if you are looking for modest, clean accommodation at a rerasonable cost & skiiing is the attraction for you, then this is an option. I would however mention that the location is a littel challenging for Kid's ski school - you need to take 2 magic carpets to reach the ESF meeting points, so if class is at 9, be sure you leave at 8:40 latest!
Also, the wifi system could do with a few booster points throughout the building.
To those of you who have previous slammed this residence, I think that the clue might be in the price - you can't expect champagne on a lemonade budget!!

Room Tip: Book the Machu apartments - we had 902, which had 3 bedrooms & a good size living area.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank mairead m
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Stayed with 4 others as part of a package. On arrival the receptionist was very rude. We then accidentaly broke the balcony window the first afternoon, admittedly we tried to sort it through our tour operator, but we broke it on Saturday and didn't get moved rooms until Thursday! The manager was very rude to us about this as well. For 5 people the place was tiny, 3 guys in a room that couldn't even fit a double bed in it, and 2 others sharing a sofa bed. Lack of storage space, specially for a ski holiday. Could barely sit down in the toilet, we ended up using the reception toilets.

On the plus side it was cheap, clean and the ski in/out facilities were good. Other end of the resort from all of the bars though.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Village Montana
Village Montana
#7 of 29 in Val Thorens
Pierre & Vacances Residence Les Valmonts
Pierre & Vacances Residence Les ...
#17 of 64 in Saint-Martin-de-Belleville
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le Quartz
Pierre & Vacances Residence Le Tikal

Been to Pierre & Vacances Residence Le Machu Pichu? Share your experiences!