“Disappointing”

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We stayed here over Christmas 2011. 8 adults, 2 children and a baby. We thought it was vastly overpriced and certainly not luxury. It was listed as 10 to 12 person. Although the dining table was large enough, the sitting area was very small. There was in fact only enough soft seating for 6 people, the kitchen area was tiny, poorly equipped, and allowed only one person in it at a time. The wifi was very unreliable and I only managed to connect 3 times during the week. It was a a few hundred metres walk to the piste and skiing back was certainly not for beginners. The worst part of all was when, on the night we arrived, a radiator in one of the bedrooms burst spraying water all over the room. It was replaced 3 days later and we were presented with a bill for 170 euros. They said it was our fault as we had opened a window!! Fortunately, out booking agent sorted it out for us. We have been skiing in the 3 valleys for several years and this has been our worst holiday there. We shall not stay at Chalet Val 2400 again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gibandgub

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Francfort sur le Main
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We stayed at this place for 1 week with my husband and our 2 kids aged 5 and 6. The apartment was nicely decorated and spacious. Nevertheless, for the price they are asking for, I would have expected an apartment perfectly cleaned at our arrival. This was not the case. The dishes were partly dirty (probably because the dishwasher was not working perfectly), I found a dirty shirt behind the sofa which was not ours, the floor in the bathroom was not very clean. In top of that, the bed covers were very old and the beds not comfortable. This was not ok for the price they are asking for. I would have expected a better quality.
Apart from that, the residence is well located and directly on the station and there was a very nice view from our balcony.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Carstounette

Travellers are raving about these Val Thorens hotels

The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We stayed here with 10 friends in the Dutch Week - Appartment is basic, but has al that you need. Good beds, always important and very close to the ski pistes!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 April 2010

This is the first review I've ever written, so I'll try to keep it to the point. The accomodations were advertised as Luxury. I understand that what was luxury to me at 18 is nmot what's luxury to me today so I'll try to be objective. First, what I liked: the staff were very friendly when we checked in. What I didn't like (or what the website must have been referring to as "luxury" features) 1) there was no parking available when I arrived and I have to walk 20+ min back from the only available parking lot. 2) the rugs were heavily stained 3) the from bathroom toilet seat had several yellowish stains 4) there was no hot water the first morning, 5) the beds were extremely uncomfortable, 6) I dropped off laundry and both white turtle-necks came back permanently stained dark grey. I was told that it was my fault as I should have put my laundry into separate bags if I wanted colors washed separately (at least they didn't charge me), 7) there was no hot water in the bathroom sink (faucet problem I suppose). 8) very loud partying neighbors keeping us up late. 9) the wireless worked intermittently. Maybe that's enough.

This is a fine place for a bunch of lads off to ski, drink beer and party all night. This is not a place for couples or those expecting clean, comfortable accommodations. I am not pleased because of their false advertising about luxury. Remember, if they lie about something as basic as that, they'll lie about anything. I strongly suggest you find another place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2008

Having stayed at Val Thorens in smaller apartments before, this time we decided we wanted a bit more space as there were 6 of us going. We booked through ski-independence and after they messed us around we finally ended up booked in Chalet 2400.

The rooms were very spacious and clean when we arrived, despite the fact that we arrived 5 hours before the official check in time. There was a double room, two twin rooms and a bunk bed room, but all were large enough for our needs. There was only one English channel on the TV which was Eurosport and constantly featured cross-country skiing with guns(what is all that about?!).

There were some problems with the apartment when we arrived, the plughole in one of the bathrooms was stuck down, the fridge thermostat was broken off and some items from the inventory were missing. However reception very quickly sorted it out, and somebody appeared to fix it. The wood burning stove (free wood is located in the underground car park) and the raclette were very well used! The cheapest raclette cheese can be found at the market on tuesdays and thursdays.

The chalet have an arrangement with a local baker who will deliver bread, croissants, pain au chocolat etc to your door every morning. This was brilliant and we took advantage of it every day. For 6 people, it cost us €50 for the week, with pain au chocolat and bread every day. There's a small supermarket about 15 meters away from the chalet, a ski hire shop next door and parking underneath, which makes for a convenient stay.

However if you're a beginning skiier you might want to think twice about staying here, although there's easy access to the slope for those who are slightly more confident you have to wait for the shuttle bus to get transported down to the debutant area, and this is infrequent and very busy at peak times.

We also suffered from being the chalet located directly above the pub downstairs. They pub played very loud music every evening until 2/3am in the morning, and then insisted on moving all their furniture around - this disrupted our sleep somewhat. They also have a weekly karaoke night which was truly awful to have to listen to!

A word of warning too, the internet access is hideously expensive, it's €9 for 60 minutes. There's a few places down in town there are half the price for twice as long, don't pay the silly chalet prices!

• Liked — Space & Quality
  • Disliked — Noise from the pub downstairs, big distance from the ski slopes
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Hook85
Edinburgh
Reviewed 25 October 2005

I stayed in the ptarmigan chalet (Residence Chalet Val 2400) in January of this year. I found it to be of a very high standard with fantastic views of the Alpes. It's located slightly out of the main Val Thorens resort, but literally only a 5 minute walk (slide) into the main area of bars and shops. This means it's very quiet in the evening, and only a short stagger home after a few well earner beers. The next door Altitude building shares its pool/sauna with Val 2400. You can get between the two using the underground carpark (a cold run in your swimming trunks).. I'd highly recomend Chalet Val 2400, in fact I'm going again in Jan/Feb next year....

• Stayed January 2005