“Great food - strange owners”
Review of Marmotte Hotel

Marmotte Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Val Thorens
Marmotte Hotel
Ranked #21 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
London
“Great food - strange owners”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I recently stayed here with 6 friends for 4 nights whilst we were skiing in Val Tho. The hotel itself was very nice, warm and cosy and the rooms were perfect for what you need them for on a skiing holiday - lots of hot water was a bonus as I have stayed in some places where the water goes cold at the end of the day when everyone has a shower. We were on the dinner bed and bfast rate and the food was absolutely fantastic. The male owner was a very nice old chap who was very welcoming and pleasant butt his wife I believe has some tempeer issues (see other rerports) as she went completely mental at one of my friends one night at dinner for the reason that he moved his chair without asking her. It was unbelievable behaviour and highly unprofessional but at least she did apologise to us the next day saying that she was very stressed. Overall I would reccomend this hotel but with the caveat that the owner's wife can get very nasty!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Phoenixtom

Solo
Milano
Reviewed 25 March 2011

We went to val Thorens for one night to spend an evening with friends from abroad who spent their ski week there. La Marmotte being close to our initial point of meet, we checked in. The man at the reception filled in the documents and asked if we'd be having dinner, which we politely declined having decided to spend the evening with friends.

Upon arriving to the room we were greeted with somewhat worn chalet kitch (think snowwhite), while some might find it lovely i dismissed it as a tourism oddity. The room had a balcony which provided a nice view to the sunrise. Then i looked for the minibar – there isn't one – it later became apparent to me that this way, you are obliged to buy very expensive hotel alcohol and can not stock up on expensive store bought beer.

The next morning, we were greeted by a well stocked breakfast lounge where one can fry their own eggs even.

Then things got ugly. The night before we were told the room is 90euros, by the morning it was 90euros per person, upon objecting i was directed to a notice on the wall which said 90euros a night and in very (and i'm not joking) tiny text that indeed said 'par personne'. Next to it was a notice that told you to check out by 9.30AM I've never had to leave this early anywhere in the world!!!! After having paid the 180euros and objected we were very rudely kicked out of the place.

Val thorens is high up in the mountains and therefore every establishment there will take advantage of it and charge outrageous prices. I'm left wondering why this particular hotel chooses to turn it's customers to one time visitors only by not being up-front about their prices and ruining your experience with rude behaviour.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carpet_traveller

Travellers are raving about these Val Thorens hotels

London
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We have some friends that live & work in Val Thorens and visit every New Year. We booked the hotel quite late and were informed that it would be on a Dinner, Bed & Breakfast rate. Fine, although we would probably not dine at the hotel as we would be out with friends I was happy to pay for the dinner as the booking was made at the last minute and we informed the Hotel of this. We went to check out fairly early in the morning, around 7:30ish as we had a long drive home and we received a barrage of abuse & attitude because we had not informed them of our early (ish) departure (which we did when we checked in). This mainly came from the owners dragon of a wife who also layed in to us for not having dinner at the hotel? I informed her that we had still paid for it so they were on a winner really but she didn't see it that way. For a while they were refusing to check us out before I told them that I was going to just walk away if they didn't. The husband then grunted something, pressed a button and it was all sorted......... why the hell they moaned so much I have no idea. Would never stay here again as no customer should be spoken to in such a manner.

• Liked — Ski In Ski Out
  • Disliked — The Owners
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple