“Sorry but its shocking..”

Pierre & Vacances Residence Les Temples du Soleil
Bristol. England.
“Sorry but its shocking..”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

and despite other peoples opinions I didn't find it was that cheap either! We arrived to be given the key to our room, opened our room door to be met with the choking smell of stale smoke, urine, and old socks, the beds in the room were all damp and the room was simply shocking with badly stained pillows etc. We paid £990 between 3 of us for a 4 night stay here and I do not consider that good value considering its self catering and the shocking state of the place, We complained about the room and were eventually given 4 keys to try and find an acceptable replacement room.
All the rooms were pretty much the same but we did manage to find one that didn't have the same stench as our original room!
I thank God we didn't attempt to put 5 adults in this room as the hotel claimed was possible, I cant imagine we would have remained friends for too long! It was too small for 3 never mind 5 adults.
The showers did have plenty of hot water as suggested but you needed to hold the shower head up yourself and that was common to all 5 rooms we looked in.
The manager and reception staff tried their very best to help but knew it was a losing battle.
At the end of the day we came here on a lads short ski break and I thoroughly enjoyed everything Val Thorens had to offer, great restaurants, great skiing area, some decent pubs and above all a great location. The noise didn't really bother me and we probably helped to contribute to it a bit, but out of 40 plus skiing trips this is without doubt the worst accommodation I have stayed in, (bizarrely the second worst was in Les Menuires down the road!)
This is not a family friendly place to stay and was quite rowdy at night but some will accept these things when considered with the location.

I'm sorry not for me, I would rather have a little walk from somewhere and you're never far from a slope in Val Thorens..

Room Tip: Go to another accommodation!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Redrobbo64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013

These apartments are typical of self catering accommodation across the French Alps, which I have sampled in various formats over the years and survived quite well :-)

Its true that it is a very tired old building, with a dark, gloomy interior and horrible corridors/lift areas, but beyond that it is home to cheap, functional apartments which do the job for a ski holiday on a budget. I was happy I got what I paid for.

Positives - hot showers, warm bedrooms, sufficient kitchen equipment, full size fridge, WIFI (paid for, but decent connection), ski in and out, awesome piste/ski lift access - 1 minute to nearest chair lift, bath & hand towels provided, balcony with wonderful views of the resort, supermarket inside the building, ski school office inside the building, comfy bed, sufficient storage for ski gear & drying rack, ski locker, 2 keys per apartment, spacious when all the fold-out beds are pulled out - still room to walk about in the night, and overall it is CHEAP!!! We paid £330 per person which included flights and coach transfers, so the accommodation element really isn't much when you think about it.

Negatives - the public areas are awful. Dark, intimidating corridors with poor lighting and dirty carpets. Rubbish and cigarette ends are common in the ground floor of the Nazca section. Lifts are slow, but you don't need to use these in the morning for skiing so its not not a huge problem aside from check-in/out with luggage. Apartment WAS dirty on arrival - my friend and I are clean freaks so were quite happy to get stuck in and clean it ourselves (we had to hoover everywhere on arrival as there was a lot of hair and dust) and the dishwasher was full of the previous people's dirty dishes which we washed up, and we checked all the bedding before use for anything suspicious (all fine).

The cheap price attracts a young crowd, so do expect some drunken Scandinavian singing in the early hours, but bring ear plugs and you'll be fine (or join in).

Overall it was exactly what I expected it to be - cheap, a bit dodgy, but fine for my kind of skiing budget. Be realistic about what you're booking and you'll live to see another ski holiday next year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin
Reviewed 7 March 2013

They aren't half bad, fairly basic but it's cheap and the best location in Val Thorens so you can't really complain.

The apartments are basic but you have everything you need. I was in a 1 bedroom apartment for 5 people, bunk beds, a single bed and two pull out beds. We'd a balcony for boards, ski room and we were ski in ski out. Close to shops and bars and rental shops.

There was WiFi in the reception area which you had to pay for.

If you're looking for cheap accommodation, with a great location you can't beat this spot.

Room Tip: Location is ski in ski out.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fionad314Dublin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This place is a grim monstrosity, claustrophobic dark and filthy.

No smoke detector in the rooms even though they have what resembles a kitchen.

No smoke detector in any corridor and very poor signage for emergency exits.

Emergency lighting virtualy non existent, didn't see a fire extinguisher in the room.
The words "No Chance" spring to mind.

Stay there only if you are 18 and so drunk you don't care.

Needles to say I only lasted one night and checked in to another hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank TheMarlborough

Travellers are raving about these Val Thorens hotels

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 24 February 2013

After staying the "Nazca" block on floor "G" of this hotel for half term week, with my boyfriend and his 11 year old daughter, luckily they both enjoyed the week with little trouble. However for me, a dust allergy sufferer, I immediately felt the effects of the apartment, which was clearly unclean. I rapidly reached for the Benadryl and was taking this for the entire week as well as using nasal spray to try and ease the sneezing. I then set to cleaning the apartment myself to minimise the effects of my allergy. Alongside this obvious problem, we found all the pillows to have blood on them so had to complain to the reception about the cleanliness (or lack of) of the room and the fact that the pillows were soiled. On a good note, the hotel quickly brought us some brand new pillows and cleaned the carpets also. On the whole, we were expecting facilities to me minimal, which they were, but I would not personally stay here again until these apartments are refurbished. The major criticism I have for this apartment hotel is the fact that it impaired my skiing ability, made it impossible for me to sleep for the last two nights and that I have now come back from the holiday unwell. All in all, these apartments are in desperate need of some T.L.C and if, like me, you are sensitive to dusty environments then please think about trying another hotel or securing the most recently renovated rooms.

Room Tip: Make sure to be in the most recently refurbished apartment block.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Just come back from staying at this hotel for one week(thankfully )and I must say that this is not for family .its full of young drunks . We had our room door kicked in by a drunken French lad and strolled in.
The apartments are dirty and run down and we complained and got moved across to the block (mucha ) reburished . It was like another hotel. Much better but it was still noisy .We got woken up at 5,30 by loud music and people singing ,shouting,screaming ,
The only positive think I could say about the hotel is the location.,

Room Tip: Mucha apartments
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I booked here and then read reviews after which got me very worried

I though it was very nice when got there and was decent rooms, location was fantastic as well

Nice bars around area as well didn't rate the bar in Hoyle though

Shop in hotel was handy