Les Olympiades
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Residence le Valset(Val Thorens)
  • Pool
Club Med Val Thorens Sensations(Val Thorens)
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness centre
All reviewsski holidayopenerhooverequipmentlock
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Used this hotel last week for the 2013 ski season.

Before I begin I will point out that I have skied a lot and done every kind of holiday, chalet, hotel, catered and self catered so well experienced in what to expect.

Booking was cheep and with airline cost and transfer it came to £450 for the week. After getting dropped off by coach at the buss stop its a 5min walk but up some flights of stairs to the hotel with all the bags. Booking in and getting our keys was easy enough.

Room
Rooms are very very small for a 4 person room I've stayed in bigger for a 2 bed room. The room was quite basic with a 2 ring electric hob, a microwave and a dishwasher (that we never used). Limited cutlery but not even a wooden spoon (i took my own sharp knife) and for a 4 person room we had 3 mugs (one with a broken handle), 7 bowls, 3 wine glasses, a mix of plates all in all pretty poor.

First thing to note is that the room was by my standard dirty and dusty however they have the cheek to charge you £50 is you don't leave the room clean (we will wait to see what happens there but we left it a lot cleaner than we found it), the living area was small with a fold down table that you need to put up when you pull out the bed under the sofa (the sofa being the 4th bed). Pillows, blankets and sheets are provided but no towels (which we were warned about) however the pillows are like air so utterly useless. In the room is a 2nd room with a bunk bed. This is where I stayed and it was incredibly uncomfortable and beyond hot. The living room had the only heater and the temp in there was fine holding off the cold from the balcony door/window. All of us reported that the mattresses where very uncomfortable. The bathroom was basic but plenty of hot water for showers at anytime but again not as clean as I would have liked. There is a TV in the room however no remote so if you want it you pay the 40euro remote control hire and note that is not a deposit! We chose not to use it.

Hotel General
The hotel itself seemed to cater for a large proportion of younger guests with the occasional family or older group. Sadly with the younger guests came the noise and false fire alarm. The hotel has signs up saying no music after 8pm and no loud noise after 11pm but we found every night people shouting in the corridors and rooms at midnight, 2am, 3am and even 4am. Talking to other guests this happened on every floor. The room walls are so thin that you can hear everything. On check out day we found all the corridors filled with rubbish and even in the fire escape stairwell as they couldn't be bothered to take it to thee bins. Even the group opposite us put their rubbish outside our door throughout the week even though the bins are right next to the ski room!! This was never dealt with by the hotel staff. Also worth mentioning that the reception was closed every time I went past coming in from the slopes which I found annoying.

Skiing
Each room has its own ski locker in the ski room and although a bit cramped did the job. The walk to the slopes from the ski locker was 5mins max and slightly uphill but I think well positioned. Coming in we managed to ski in up to the front door but in not so great conditions I doubt that would be possible so again 5mins max.

Shops & Amenity's
The hotel is well positioned for being right in the center of the shops with 2 supermarkets 30secs from the front door and a few ski shops for hire kit. There is WiFi available but you can only get it in the reception area and its only capable to connect when there is a max of 6 of you. We found the kids in there all the time so difficult to get on most of the time.

Check out
On check out, even though there are lots of people checking out at 6am the reception was closed which I found very poor. No sign of where to put your keys or anything. After asking around we put the keys in a white box outside next to the hotel.

All in all we got what we paid for. It was cheep so did the job but I would never go back again. I would rather pay an extra £50-£100 and get much better accommodation elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 157Frog
Reviewed 22 February 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights in Feb half term 2013.

Location is excellent with Carrefour next door and sports center across the road. You can ski in but cannot ski out - you must carry your skis up a slope for 50m which brings you out to the center of town. Our room was small with 2single beds, tiny kitchen and bathroom with shower and bath.

Issues - No free WIFI in rooms - only in reception. TV additional charge. Reception only open in the morning and evening.

I would recommend for cheap(ish) hotel

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank monkeygaz
Reviewed 15 January 2013

very tiny rooms but central to shops and slopes and restuarants
noisy since there is nightclub only metres away so suitable for young group/uni trips not families,
room was clean but if depends on guests before you as there is no cleaning service.

Room Tip: rooms are small so if want space booked bigger room. worth it
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank InnaDani
Clemence_de_Belambra, Responsable relations clients at Les Olympiades, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Hello,

Thank you for your review. We will be delighted to greet you anew at Belambra.

Sincerely
Clémence de Belambra

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We had a very short time to choose the place and really wanted to go to Val Thorens during New Year week. On Val Thorens site we found this residence, room on the pictures looked quite nice and renovated. We booked room for 3 and paid 1190 euro per week.

We were really shocked when opened the door! The room was REALLY small, the beds were different size and the mattresses were not matching them! During the night it was impossible to sleep - it was terriblly COLD and NOISY! Noise was coming from inside and outside party lovers!

The only good thing of this residence is a perfect location to the slopes and commercial centre.

Room Tip: If you are ready to party all night and sleep during he day, you can take any room. :)
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Anya P
Clemence_de_Belambra, Responsable relations clients at Les Olympiades, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Hello,

I regret that your journey doesn’t happened as you expected and that you suffer for noise pollution. On Belambra website and brochure, we signal the area of each accomodation ; I regret that you could’nt consult it while you booked. I hope you could contact the staff about the heating and the mattress. Belambra staff is always available to find an agreement.
However, we look forward to greet you anew in better conditions.

Clemence - Belambra Clubs

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Lots of negative reviews about this place on here. The room was clean, warm and big for France. Ask for north side if you like it quiet, and ask for south side if morning sunshine is more important. It's that simple. 20m to the pistes and close to bars, shops, restaurants. We had a great week there. If you want luxury, pay more for your accommodation rather than go cheap and then complain :-)

Room Tip: North side is quiet, south side gets the morning sun..... Your choice
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mike B

Hello,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure to read you. We will be delighted to greet you anew at Belambra.
See you soon