“Dog kennel”

Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
Croston, United Kingdom
“Dog kennel”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

How on earth can this be classed as a 3 star ??

Rooms were filthy , you're reliant on the previous occupant cleaning the room . When you check in you have to buy towels and they give you bedding . Rooms are far too small , not ventilated , especially the toilet . Its a debacle from start to finish . When you do check out they have a cursory look at your room and then refund the €400 euros they took at the start .

Food was bland and the staff miserable . Fortunately the skiing is excellent and crystal the tour operator are hopeless , we were mis sold the room promising it was big enough for 5 for which we paid a supplement for 4 to stay in . When I queried it they moved us to another room and charged me a further € 300 for the privilege . They then said the supplement was for a faster transfer ???? Then they changed their mind and said it was for a flight out of Manchester ???? Equally as ridiculous . We booked with crystal at the chill factore . On the phone when I get back but my previous dealings with crystal leave me with little hope

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Scotty2404

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Czech first
Zandvoort, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 December 2013

d'Or should indicate "gold", but do not be misled by this in the name of this hotel. I've been there twice in the high season. This year I made an on-line reservation, which, btw, is not very user-friendly. Later on I wanted to make some changes, but so far got no reply. I find this somehow weird and I am about to cancel it. This kind of ignorance is the reason for this writing.
All in all, except for good location there is nothing that I can rate beyond "poor to average", and this goes for check-in which is slow, not very friendly staff and worn-out rooms, which are also not very clean. Maybe this is due that cleaning is done mainly by the guests and amateur hotel staff.
Pity, since with a proper renovation and friendlier staff this hotel could be worth gold.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank markp22222

Travellers are raving about these Val Thorens hotels

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I've been in hotel for the first time this year in January. Excellent location. Though we came without any expectations due to 3 stars rating and reviews, I have to confess that at the end of the day we were a bit disappointed by beaten-up rooms and awkward lay-out. The rooms are also not clean and when we came I was not convinced if it was cleaned at all prior to our arrival. Service very basic and not especially friendly. This year I was about to make a reservation for the next January again. I had some troubles with on-line reservation so I sent an email to which I received no reply. Checked address, than called. Finally got someone on the phone, explained what I wanted and why and was told to send an email. I said I already did, but I was told to do it again. So I did. And after two weeks again. Since it is already 5 weeks from my first mail I called again and was told to try on-line again. Got no answer why I received no reply to my email reservations. Very strange attitude. Thank you, don't bother further on, already have booking in other resort.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank paul z
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I am a regular visitor to Val Thorens and for the last few years, Le Chamois d'Or has been my accommodation of choice.

Its not the most luxurious of hotels, but its location is second to none.

The apartment is reasonable - nothing fancy - but everything works. Apart from virtually being on the piste, it also has a good size supermarket in the basement alongside a ski shop, restaurant and irish bar. There are other eating places in easy reach and the main centre with shops and more restaurants/bars are around 5 minutes away

Room Tip: All rooms are good. You either get village view - which is good for sun or piste side which is good...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank RitzRam
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I've been visiting Chamois d'Or for five years in a row for one reason only - a good location, being close to lifts. If you need just a good starting point as close to the lift as possible and you don't mind poor cleanliness and unfriendly staff then this might be your choice, everything else is very basic. Otherwise, I have never been in a hotel where staff is so rude. Since I've been in other accommodation in Val Tho also, I have the feeling that this is kind of "standard" in this price range. I do not consider myself as very picky referring the equipment and service (I even don't mind that wifi in the rooms is of no use since it so slow), but in a hotel, even if it is a "chicken-battery-hotel", I do request some basic cleanliness of the room. What matters most to me is that I can rate the rooms as being filthy, and so far I have experienced five in a row! Rooms simply lack basic hygiene standard, the equipment is not worth to spend time with in this review (but then again, it's not better, e.g. in Les Temples du Soleil in Val Tho). I wish Anthony Melchiorri, hospitality expert from Travelers Channel "Hotel Impossible" would do a survey one day. No matter what you look at - dirty mattresses (blood stains etc.), filthy bath fans or cigarette ends on the balcony. When I discovered obviously not very old blood stains on mattress on my arrival and requested a clean one, I got ignorant reply that they have not a replacement and why to complain since the sheets will come over it. Hello!!! France, EU, 21st century, for crying out loud ...
The check-in service is also very slow and they don't seem to strive to be very friendly. Practice is that there are only two ladies at check-in desk even on the most busy hours of the arrival day. They always ask you to leave your cell phone number so they can inform you when the room is ready to move in prior to 5 pm - I never got a call in five years.
So, anyone who will read this review - I am not too critical or demanding, it's just mine observation including my friend's family with which we spend the vacation together for five years in this hotel. It's true that some rooms have been renovated, but most of them are beaten-up. In skiing season this hotel is regularly full, so the owners and staff obviously have the attitude "Why to bother & improve if not necessary - we are booked!"
As I pointed out at the beginning, we keep coming in this hotel just because of the skiing area and since the experience with the Residence Les Temples du Soleil in Val Tho is not better.
Due to lack of cleanliness, unfriendly and ignorant staff (not to mention the "beaten-up" furniture, horrible and disgusting beds in rooms) and no evidence of will to improve the service in all the years that we are coming here, I could NOT recommend that accommodation.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank andy n
Wirral
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Arrived early (~12:30) only 1 person on reception, very slow check in, despite there not being many punters at this hour. Bedding and towels extra. Couldn't get into apartment until after 17:00 - they could have prioritised "cleaning". Booked a 6 man room for a family of 4, (2 x teenagers). No way could it have coped with 6. Only 4 chairs around dining table.
Dirty and grubby - I had to take a pile of crockery and pots to reception as they still had food on (reception replaced them promptly)
The bunk "cabin" was of course a corridor, with the light and pillow end directly opposite the toliet, so any nocturnal dumpings were most unwelcome for the kids sleeping there. Loo was small with a big water heater in, but after 2½ showers, it ran cold.
Kitchen - typical basics, about enough stuff, but only tiny coffee cups. No welcome pack to assist with cleaning, or even bog roll.
We were in a refurbished room - I would hate to stay in a basic room. New tiny dishwaher was positioned so badly it could only open half way - made stacking somewhat awkward.
No internal rubbish bins is a bit of a pain. Rooms at the front suffer from supermarket delivery noise early morning.

Good points
Nice and warm to too hot, but we shouldn't complain about that. Staff dealy with issues promptly.
Despite previous reviewer, I thought that the boot room was relatively spacious, though it could do with a bit of heat to dry out boots. Locker big enough for 3 x snowboard and 1 x ski, though if we had filled out apartment to capacity, we may have struggled.
No night time noise. Brilliant acces to pistes.
Helpful ski shop at base, Irish bar next door and a well stocked Spar very close.
Good wi-fi.

Would I stay again ? Probably yes

Room Tip: Try to get slope side and one of the "refurbished rooms"
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank fuzzysid
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I went here last week with 4 of my friends. When we arrived the reception was closed so they left our key at the reception. The room was for 6 adults. It was very small for our group. Also it wasnt very clean at all. When we came back one evening , we said hi to the receptionist who told us to shut up. The staff at reception werent ever very friendly and never even said hi. I have never been to a hotel where staff have been so rude or impolite. We are a group of students and were treated as if we didnt deserve to be here. they spoke to us as if we were stupid. before leaving the room we cleaned it to the same state it was in as we found it. the cleaning ladies made us do it again whilst watching us and making fun of us , instead of offering us their cleaning material ( the only thing in the room to clean the appartement with was a houver) . also the dishwasher didnt work at all, and all the plates were dirty when we arrived.

i definitely wouldnt recommend this place to stay . i had a great holiday though apart from these rude and obnoxious people

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends