“Fantastic food and great service”
Review of Hotel 3 Vallees

Hotel 3 Vallees
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is a great hotel with really excellent food on a daily basis and lovely hospitable team. Our room was quite small and basic but comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2012

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights over Easter. We arrived Sunday, reception was friendly and gave relevant advice (although advice on long term parking was a little unclear) short term we could park our car nearby to bring bags etc in, no help offered with bags but everything else ok. We were allocated room 108, I booked last minute and was advised that only 2 rooms were left, we wanted a balcony so went for a twin with balcony. I booked because of the great tripadvisor reviews and in anticipation of the great food. Ski facilities are ok, locker for skis is down rubberised steps so ok in boots and a bootwarmer is in reception, both are very narrow so can become awkward and crowded at peak times. Ski Hire is available direct opposite the hotel in snowberry SkiSet, we didnt know this until too late, but advice book online as you can get 50% discount through snowrental. Location is ok not on the piste and around 100 yards up hill to a track slope, it is not obvious how to return as near to possible to the hotel at the end of the day so check with reception as they know but didn’t readily offer this advice. We have children and I am not sure I would bring the kids to this hotel as it is a trek to ski school and childcare. Lift passes are available 50 yards away from an express machine and from pass office but the office not open until 9. Parking is biggest issue, you must use a Valthopark or the hotels parking, Hotels parking was very narrow and my discovery would not fit in the bay, I went to Valtho 0 it was full and ended up parking at Valtho 1 (with suspension lowered as its only 1.85M headroom) a good walk away and a hassle to trot back and forward, advice would be get a hotel with parking nearby or at the hotel if possible or pre book Valtho 0 parking and go straight then after unpacking to secure your place. Food , Bar and Restaurant: Bar as small but friendly and drinks average to ok price - Wine list was ok not too extravagant and a small selection (6 or so) from good regions across France, burgundy wines a little pricey but otherwise it was possible to get adequate wine for under 35Euro a bottle). In the bar nibbles were offered at 630-7 but were not offered after 730 so we had to ask each night and got olives and nuts but asking was a pain, 2nd night just olives with a surly look! Restaurant no booking available so pot luck on tables, we waited until 8pm to go to the restaurant so tables were available but the waiters were not immediately welcoming to offer a table of your choice - they preferred to offer the ones available and left set up. We wanted a window table and got one upon asking. Not very welcoming in the restaurant we my general impression, generally waiters not as friendly and helpful as reception seemed to be, on a couple of occasions unfriendly and service dropped off after 9pm then they seemed to get distracted out of the restaurant and we became a problem to them. Food : As other reviews have mentioned a choice of veg/fish and meat main course, starters a choice of 2 or a soup. First night I have a Cheese puff pastry which arrived looking burnt on the top, I assumed it was a feature as the reviews were so great but it was in fact burnt. I made the waiter aware and asked him to feedback to chef but I heard nothing and no action seemed taken. My wife had a pate that was ok. For main course I had a lamb shoulder in a pot , was quite innovative and I watched another guest open one with a pop as the steam was released, mine opened with no bravado and may not have been hot enough for the effect, however tasted good but some fat lumps present that I am not keen on and a little sloppy in texture generally. My wife had fish which was good sized fillets with a salsa dressing that was the best fo the 2 dishes. Cheese was offered when we asked, waiter bought over a selection but the blue was a tiny slice and he suggested we share, I asked him to bring a new one which he did , but he did not offer. Dessert we waited and waited for and in the end we went to the dessert table and were about to help ourselves when the waiter came back and plated for us. I thought the dessert table was a poor idea and would be wiser as a menu choice, I am sure the pile of deserts looks good at 7pm but by 930 it looked like a war zone, we took deserts to our room which was a good touch. 2nd night we had a mozzarella tower, tapenade with roquette (roquette was sour and reported but no action seemed taken), mains were braised venison and another fish dish similar to first night, nothing greatly memorable - on both nights fish dish slightly better but very similar to each other. Cheese was the same selection as first night and deserts were this time offered again from the Dessert table. Things I noted, Coffee never offered as an option, nor an aperitif or digestif available or offered. Plates frequently had finger prints and smudges on (especially my venison dish), feedback was not acted on, waiters varied , weave mats on tables not replaced just wiped, had to insist on table if you wanted to sit somewhere specific, never saw the chef, Dessert table a little difficult to impress with. Breakfast was a good spread but a little bit of a squabble for tables, fresh oranges were available for squeezing but I am not certain that everyone squeezing their own oranges in a juicer that required constant manual intervention with hands , knives and spoons is a great hygiene idea, I would prefer kitchen to squeeze the oranges and the waiters to serve it. Coffee was poor quality in pre made flasks; tea was DIY with hot water and T bags. Boiled eggs were possible DIY in a boiler but results were hit and miss, same cooked option each day, omelette and frankfurters. Now the ROOM : Earlier in the afternoon of first day I hear our neighbours phone ring and clarity on her telephone conversation, so soundproofing side to side not great. On return to our room on 1st night I could hear constant tapping and scraping on the ceiling, I had to play music to drown it out to get to sleep, I put this down to noisy neighbours. However AM from 6 was the same, tap tap tap , bang bang , scrape scrape. I made Elise aware that my room was noisy she seemed surprised and offered no solution only to note that a double room was available with no balcony and I could check it out later. 2nd night same issue bang bang, tap tap scrape scrape, then we realised we were below the restaurant kitchen !! Next morning from 530-6 tap tap scrape scrape and then CRASH as somebody dropped something above. So room 108 was left because it was noisy ?! I raised the issue with reception again 2nd morning, this time the chap at reception who was very friendly again looked very surprised as had his counterpart, I suggested as feedback that as this room had inherent noise issues then maybe they should mention this at time of booking and that the room rate should reflect the issue, I did not suggest they had tried to hide this issue - maybe if I had then I could have forced a discount but on this occasion I didn’t want a battle just to move on. We decided not to stay a 3rd night for 3 reasons, 1: weather was changing and Val T can be bleak in wind and snow, 2: our room was noisy and expensive compared to the R&R it offered, 3: Food, Bar and restaurant was nothing memorable, certainly not what I anticipated from the reviews (have eaten at la boite, l’oxelys, Bel Air Pilatus, Caribou - all great and memorable for different gastronomy reasons). We opted to cut short our stay by 1 night and the hotel were obliging and gave us space to leave our bags for the day which helped with the parking and luggage issue, we did ask if we could use the room as a base until 5pm but it was not offered, reception remarked they could sell our room ! A little bit of a ramble but I do hope this is perceived as an honest experienced view and helps people , nothing worse than finding out for yourself the challenges and high expectations potentially becoming dashed. May go back if I can get a room higher up on floor 3 or 4, with a slope and west view.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the lower ground floor level 1 if you can help it. Dont anticipate excellence
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank only6greens
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I thought the whole 7 nights were very good and the food was very very nice too.

An excellent french hotel

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have always found the reviews on Tripadvisor very useful on choosing hotels etc, and to a certain extent I understand all the positive comments regarding this hotel, it does have alot of good qualities; however there is are negatives and I hope our experience will benefit others in the future.

We stayed the 1st week in April and the hotel was 100% full we were told. This proved to be a problem as our rooms were awful and we were unable to change them. This obviously had a negative effect on our entire stay.

On arrival we were initially shown to room 104, a tiny double, which we immediately asked to change, as it was lunchtime and not everyone had yet checked in i assume, we were given the option of 105 next door. Marginally larger, but with a tiny shower only bathroom. It did have a nice balcony and view of the slopes. We decided to take it as we were tired and the childrens room wasn't yet ready, so we needed somewhere to relax.
Later on the x3 children were allocated room 101, large admittedly, but it had a "faux" window picture screen to hide the fact that it was overlooked by the supermarket next door and also the stairs to the ski/locker room passed right by it's window - zero privacy what so ever. Kids being kids we thought they'd not mind that much, the bathroom was a decent size and we'd be out most of the day etc.
However what we didn't know/ weren't warned of was our room 105, was directly under the dining room, from 7.30am we had constant noise of chairs being scrapped across the floor, tables moved, guests walking above our heads for their breakfast buffet. Then to make it worse, in the evening from 7.30pm - 11.30pm we had to endure the same for dinner. It was awful ,we were exhausted after the 1st night and asked to be moved asap, this never happened due to the 100% full explanation.
Our poor kids fared even worse with the zero privacy, it also transpired that the entire hotel trailed down past their window to the ski/locker room from early am, waking them all, to basically the whole day, back and forth. Add to that the fact they were under the reception/and or bar and they'd non stop noise also in the evenings. The front door is locked and a code given for guests to exit/enter late at night, and this woke the kids on numerous occasions when groups would arrive back at 2am and later from the clubs outside their window.

This lack of sleep/ peace and quiet obviously had a huge effect on us all throughout the week, and to be honest we were so tired and grumpy at times I'd rather have been home! Be very aware the choice of your room can make or break a holiday here, especially at busy times when it's full and you can't move etc.

To be balanced about the rest of the review -

The staff were all pleasant and helpful.

Yes the food is delicious, 99% of the time, we had children with us, and the choices for them were limited. The evening of "chicken nuggets & chips" was quite frankly dire, for somewhere famed for it's chefs talents, putting foul processed "Chicken" out on a plate with chips and no veg/salad what so ever was a poor show. A few fresh, breaded goujons is surely not that hard to produce? Even our lot returned their plates having proclaimed them disgusting.

That said the food on the whole was very, very good.

The dining room is stylish and attractive, but very hard to manoeuvre around when full, especially at the breakfast buffet when you are up and down alot for your choices. The tables are close together and large parties often blocked one side of the room. The waiting staff did well coping with the constant need to re-route their way around the room.

The hotel does have a cosy/ faux traditional appearance. Sound proofing was an issue oviously though.

All in all, we would not return here, I can see how others enjoyed it so much; I'm just disappointed those won't be the memories we have of the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid like the plague room 101,for all the reasons listed in the review; and 105 - or any room unde...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Scootaboot
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Good breakfast, great dinner and great service. all (far) better than one would expect in a 3 star hotel in a mainly low budget ski resort like val thorens. The rooms are small but ok and clean and have some charm.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Of course, if you're lucky enough to stay at l'Oxalys where the chef Jean Sulpice has 2 Michelin Stars, then you're getting the best food in Val Thorens. But I'm willing to bet that besides that there is no other place with such great food as l'Hotel des 3 Vallées.
The Chef doesn't have a Michelin Star (unlike what is said in the review below), but he is advised by a starred chef. Since I'm picky, I could find some minor flaws with the food, slightly lacking the finesse required to get a star (too much sauce, platings a bit too gimmicky). But overall that would be nitpicking, as the food is pretty great, every night you get a choice of 3 very different appetizers, 2 entrees (usually meat or fish), an amazing cheese plate and so and so desserts.
My preferred meals were the "L’Œuf Mollet sur lit d’Épinards Frais, Croûton Brioche et Velouté de Champignons" and the "Risotto Crémeux de Crevettes, Ciboulette, Tomate et Ail croustillant" !

Aside from the food, the rooms are small but charming and comfortable. There was a slight problem with our room radiator (which is a bit odd for a hotel at the mountains), but they promptly gave us an electric heater to add to the room.
The service was really nice and attentionate.

If I ever go back to Val Thorens, I doubt I'll even look at another option.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Our family with friends had a holiday in Val Thorens in march,in 2012.We had really great time there,endjoyed skiing and sunbathing.The hotel was very nice and cosy.Our room for six persons was large and clean.Despite the fact that nearby was a night club, no noise was not audible.Reccomend everyone this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends