“Great for 1st time Skier,GOs are very friendly,Small Room,Limited food choices”

Hotel Club mmv Val Thorens - Les Arolles
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Val Thorens
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We were at Club Med Val Thorens after the Chinese New Year (2/2/14), so we are the only group from Singapore and Malaysia.

Skiing & snowboarding lessons
From Monday to Friday 09:00-12:00 or 13:00 and again from 14:00-16:00 or 16:30
I had skiing beginner lessons with a professional teacher on the slopes. Excellent ski instructor Michael took care of all in group, and Michael always say "you are the champion" or "We are the champion group". The ski lockers are simply too small, you can hardly fit a pair of skis and boots with a snowboard.

It's the sincerity, passion, energy and warmth of the GOs that touched us.
Thank you Charles (GM) and your EXCELLENT team of staff for making our every night "SHOW" soooo special.

We unexpected the small rooms, the rooms could be a bit more spacious. There's a separate WC and shower room with hair dryer. The heater is on only at certain weird hours.We had to pay 20 Euros for completely unreliable Internet that needs to be reset constantly.

Breakfast 07:00-09:00 Lunch 12:00-14:00 High-Tea 16:00-18:00 Dinner 20:00-22:00
The food is good but definitely not great and through the limited food choices,so we were quite disappointed.

Definitely will consider going back Val Thorens Club Med "New" Ski Resort.
Makes me want to go back to the real reason is because I want to meet again my ski instructor (Michael), you are my CHAMPION Ski Instructor. Hope to see u soon.........

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GarystoLiz

Reviewed 11 February 2014

The last time I have been to club med Val Thorens was 9 years ago. Well the food is still great and the atmosphere is nice but this is certainly not what you except from such a venture.

Everybody knows that the rooms in club med are small and basic but there is no excuse for neglecting them. First we got a smelly room just across the laundry with broken closet and carpet full of stains. No serious hotel should offer his gussets such a room. Lucky for us they had an available room on the same floor the new room we've got was basic but at least not smelly and neglected as the other one was.
The ski room is a scandal! It is so crowded, some of the closets are broken and the room is swamped with water everyday because of the old carpet, no idea why they are not doing something about, it is an awful way to start your skiing day. Also need to be improved is The Wi-Fi that doesn't work in the morning even tough they charge you 20 euro for it.

Overall although the young staff of the club is very nice, it feels like an amateur venue that unfortunately is not adequate with the price you pay. I hope the new one they are opening next year in Val Thorens will be more professional.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Oren B
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The Good: I have to tip my hat to all the chefs at the restaurant. Everyday they came up with something creative for lunch and dinner, so over a period of a week it was tough to get bored. A lot of the time they didn't have access to ingredients such as decent meat etc, so this made their task even tougher (and the meat), but they sailed through it.

The Bad: If the buyers of Club Med would have spent 50p a bottle more on wine, they would have probably produced something drinkable (being in France). On the plus side, I only have to spend a fiver now on red wine to get that Mouton Rothschild flavour. Recently I had found myself in Prison for a few weeks. Although a terrible experience I didn't realise it would stand me in good stead while staying in a Club Med ski room. While my roommate whined like a banshee, I just pretended my prison sentence had been extended another week.

The Ugly:
If Dante was alive today and had visited Club Med Val Thorens Ski Boot room, I am sure he would have upped his image of hell to the 10th Circle. I think I would prefer my chances in a post apocalyptic wasteland than spend another five minutes in the Boot room during rush hour. Nothing like a seventy year old man elbowing you in the chest and then scowling like one of Satans acolytes. Forget army training, just send young recruits into the boot room for a few days and you will have trained killers. Here's a note, just because you are French and say Bonjour and Bonsoir a lot, it doesn't give you a pass to have bad manners. I have never met a group of people who have such a tough understanding of what a queue is. On one occasion there was only two of us at the bar! After he pushed in I turned to him and showed him my Satanic boot room stare. I have never seen a man more scared.

I understand that this hotel is being closed soon to make way for a 4 star hotel. My advice to the owners: Get a Priest in and burn down the Boot room.

Take care.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Alfie H
Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was my first time staying at a Club Med resort, and up until now, I had only heard good things about the brand. My boyfriend and I were looking to go on a Winter holiday where we could snowboard somewhere with a cool atmosphere. The holiday package needed to be well-priced and cover all bases (include flights, accomm, snowboard equipment, transfers etc.) Of all the packages we looked at, and even packages we looked at putting together ourselves, Club Med had the best option for us. In the months leading up to our trip, we received feedback and updates from Club Med regarding our trip. On arrival at Geneva airport, there were easy-to-spot "Club Med" signs with people directing us to the relevant busses outside the airport. We were sent to the correct bus that would transfer us to Val Thorens (there are a lot of different busses shuttling people to different Club Med resorts - but there is someone with a checklist at the door to the bus to ensure you're getting onto the right bus.) Our luggage was loaded onto the bus for us, and off we went. A two and a half hour bus ride from Geneva airport to Val Thorens, with beautiful scenery along the way. When we got to the hotel, we were greeted by Charles (the General Manager) and his team. Our luggage was offloaded and taken up to our rooms for us. What a pleasure not having to worry about a thing from the time we arrived in Geneva :) The hotel itself was fantastic! The rooms are of average size with a comfortable bed, shower, and bathroom (which were very clean.) While outdoors it is a bit cold, inside the rooms and in the hotel it is very warm, so that was great not having to wear layers indoors. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were buffets with LOADS of variety and really good food to suit all tastes. At 4pm it was tea time, which included flapjacks, waffles and French toast - so each day, you were sure to never go hungry. With drinks (and all food included) you could help yourself to hot and cold drinks from automatic machines at the press of a button, all day every day. There are even espresso machines all throughout the hotel for you to help yourself to a shot of espresso whenever you please. You could pay 20 Euros for unlimited wifi for the week if you needed it. There was entertainment at the bar in the form of stage shows every night before dinner. There was also a great party vibe with music and entertainment after dinner. Included in the package was snowboard or ski lessons. We opted for snowboarding lessons, and from Monday to Friday 09:00-11:30 and again from 14:00-16:00 we had snowboarding lessons with a professional teacher on the slopes. It was honestly so great for Club Med to include this as we had never snowboarded before, so it was a great introduction for us and we had a LOT of fun with the lessons and exploring the slopes with a professional (which is less daunting than figuring out the slopes on your own.) The service of the ENTIRE Club Med team was phenomenal. They were all so friendly and happy to help with any questions or requests we had. We had an awesome experience and will definitely return to Club Med when we are in Val Thorens again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gabriella B
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have just returned from a week's stay at Club Med Val Thorens where we had booked as a group of 15 people.
Location is excellent - ski in, ski out. Rooms were basic and tired but warm and comfortable. Food was plentiful but rather repetitive (eg. they would serve the same fish dishes every other day) and of an average standard but the pastries (which were served at breakfast and as evening snacks and sometimes at dinner) were below what would be expected of French levels. Staff were generally helpful, particularly in the dining room.
On the negative side, the GM (Charles) had a bit of an attitude and did not appear to exhibit the level of customer care that is to be expected of Club Med. We met many other guests who also experienced the same thing. Charles never came around to ask if our group was comfortable and was not receptive of complaints - we witnessed this at the reception desk when other guests were complaining, and neither did he come to wish us goodbye on the last day. A simple request from one of our members to Charles for help in locating the in-house chief ski instructor to book a private lesson was met with an unhelpful response. The ski instructors were good but their chief, Ronald, was patronising and unhelpful. The evening entertainment presented by the staff was very amateurish and below the standard we have experienced at previous Club Med holidays.
We understand Club Med is building a new hotel in Val Thorens which will be of a higher standard but they really need to sort out their management, starting with the GM.

Room Tip: The higher floors are quieter (could hear the music till late even on the 5th floor) but the lifts c...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SamNas
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We have just left Club Med Val Thorens. We had a great week over Christmas 2013. We expected the small rooms (great for keeping the heat in!) It is defiantly the place to go to ski. The instructors were sensational. Skiing straight from the door was spectacular. The food is plentiful & varied. The entertainment is lots of fun & typical of Club Med. The staff couldn't have been more friendly & most speak very good English. If you love to ski, Val Thorens is the place to go!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Club Med Val Thorens is perfectly located in the village and you can ski in, ski out (if you can navigate a blue slope). The rooms are pleasant, with good beds and the bathrooms are clean and functional. I had a room that only had a shower, so ask for one with a bath if that is important. Also some rooms have big windows with beautiful views, but my room had a sloped window that had accumulated frozen snow and couldn't be opened. It wasn't that much of a problem, but I like to be able to let in fresh air even in the cold, so ask for a different room if you prefer the same. Breakfast, lunch and dinner at Club Med is fantastic, the bar has a lively atmosphere and is well-stocked. Service and staff are amazing! Good apres ski and night time activities and music. The ski school has fantastic instructors. Nice locker room for ski gear with heated rails for boots. Would definitely recommed! Had a fantastic week here with a big group of family and friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family