All reviewsrooms are smallboot roomevening entertainmenthotel lacksthe main bar areaski clothesski resortbuffet stylehotel is in a great locationski schoolstayed here for a weekski hiregreat holidaycrystal skialainsafescairn
Reviewed 17 January 2018

Very small rooms barely fit a couple, the shower room is very small and hardly a single person can stand there. for 3 days they did not clean our rooms and the garbage was piling up. I had to go down to the reception to take toilet paper, there was a plug in the sink and they came to fix the problem only after three days, the blanket we received was a single blanket and was replaced only after 2 nights. When they ask to change towels they make a face and change only if you insist. It is very difficult to enter the spa, you have to register in advance a few days before and only at very specific time frames. Bad food and when there are a lot of people the food is out so you must go eat early. As you go to complain it does not help. I talked to a lot of other people who were staying at the hotel at the time and they felt the same way. Some of the guests said that they had not cleaned the rooms at all during the week. The bottom line is that I do not recommend going to this hotel, it may be suitable for children up to the age of 18.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nirpr0
Reviewed 30 December 2017

After having read all the negative reviews on Trip Advisor I almost didn't book MMV Les Arolles in Val Thorens, but I'm glad I did. A lot has changed since last season, namely a new chef and kitchen team (the new chef is Gabby) . I found the food to be good to excellent (and I've lived in France and dinned at Michelin stared restaurants). We stayed over Christmas and the Christmas eve dinner was really superb , as was the show they put on for the kids with presents from Santa. The staff are young and friendly. The hotel director, Alan Freson, was very professional, always present supervising the staff, always on hand to answer any questions from guests. The ski hire and lockers are located in the hotel, and the boot dryers that were not working last season have been repaired and work well. The top of the Cairn chairlift / telecabin is right next to the hotel, with even an escalator to take you down to an entrance of the hotel that leads to the ski room.So it all makes for a minimum hassle family ski holiday .

The only criticism I found justified from previous reviews was the size of the rooms and the bed sizes. Yes, the beds are small and narrow, especially if you're tall like me (182cm) . But the linen is good and the beds are comfortable. The rooms are well insulated and heated. The room was serviced daily and the towels were changed 2 times a week. There were 3 beds in our room and as there were only two of us we didn't find it cramped. However if you want a big bed and a spacious room then go next door to Club Med. and pay the 50% extra. Overall I found it good value for money for a hassle free ski holiday. I took the full board option which included a selection of drinks, although they have house (cask) wine freely available at each meal (rose, red, white wine, and also orange juice and apple juice on tap in even the basic offer). You're given a wrist band and a card at the beginning of your stay which shows what package you've taken.

TIPS

Animators /kids club
One of the attractions for me was the advertised service where the children would be taken from the hotel to their ski lessons then picked up afterwards and taken back to the hotel. This is useful given the ESF kids ski lessons start and finish 15 minutes before the adults ski lessons.However as it turns out the service where the children are bought back in a mini bus applies only to the beginners (below 1st star level). While their skis are bought back in a mini van the older children are made to walk up the hill in their ski boots back to the hotel, so they only arrive back at the hotel exhausted an hour after the end of their class.
The aminators are not allowed (for insurance reasons) to take the more advanced children by ski to the bottom of the Cairn chairlift to get back to the hotel, or even to take the shuttle bus, which seems crazy. So each day I had to break out of my adult ski lesson early to pick up my son when his lesson finished at 11:45 and ski with him to the bottom of the Cairn chairlift....and we arrived back at the hotel each day a good half an hour before the poor kids who were force marched up the hill.The hotel really needs to review their insurance policy to find a more sensible way of bringing the children back to the hotel who can already ski, and freeing up the parents so they can enjoy a full ski lesson.

Toboggan
If you want to take the much advertised toboggan be careful to get the right directions to the chalet de la Toboggan where you have to pick up your toboggan. It's at the top of the two rolling carpets , above the the ESF kids meeting area. You pick up the toboggan at the Chalet de le Toboggan and then descend to the funitel de peclet chairlift to take you up to the start of the toboggan trail. They also have a crazy insurance policy and force any child under 10 years old, regardless of height or weight, to take the same toboggan as the parent. My child who was almost 10 (after which they can take their own toboggan) had to come with me but with our combined weight the toboggan either wouldn't move on the mild slopes, or on the steep slopes wouldn't stop!

SPA / Jaccuzzi
You need to book!
Adults (18 and over) can book the jacuzzi and sauna, 45min in peak hours, 1hour 15min. in off peak periods. There are two small jacuzzis, and a good sauna. Great way to relax sore muscles after a day's skiing! Swimming costumes are compulsory (unlike in northern Europe where they are forbidden). So if you want to enjoy the jacuzzi and sauna don't forget your swimming costume!

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank IanC4619
Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed at MMV for 6 nights during Christmas. The rooms are the size of a shoe box. Literally only fits 2 single beds and barely room left to walk around the beds. Bathroom fan was broken so the toilet stinks. Hotel was noisy with kids screaming and running through the corridor and loud parties outside beyond midnight every night. No drinking water provided when we asked the front desk and was asked to pay for water. and no kettle in the room so you need to buy your own water. Spa staff is incompetent. Went for a 30mins massage and doesn’t ask you what type of massage or the pressure applied. The entire massage was in silent and I had no chance or choosing what I’m paying for. After that session I decided to cancel my next massage and was told I will be charged regardless. After asking again she reluctantly agreed to cancel the massage but decide to cancel all my booked spa sessions as revenge. Would NOT recommend unless you like to pay for rude service.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Jus OK the staff are great the place inside very run down and food was just warm. They did heat it up for us. They are the only two things that was wrong parking was great for my mom just outside the door because she can not walk very well.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank 55smith60
Reviewed 18 July 2017

No matter what all of these negative reviews say this hotel does the job and it does it well! if you want a gigantic room in a ski resort with lockers for 100s of skis then go club med and pay a couple of grand each. For the price this place is perfect! and all inclusive!

Location is prefect. right on the slopes with a lift that brings you straight back to the hotel. short walk to any of the shops and the resort centre. realy handy when you have been on the slopes all day! straight back to your doorstep!

Rooms arent the biggest but also they are certainly not tiny... but if you are used to going skiing or boarding then you will be used to having a smallish room. What mattered to me is that i was clean and regularly serviced.

must admit the staff weren't the best. we were told we could get in at 2 and had to wait an hour despite being knackered but if the rooms aren't ready then theres not much you can do.

Other positives... in house spa! for free. great after a days skiing.
The food! many reviews here saying its rubbish... absolutely nothing wrong with it. Personally i thought was great. loads of choice, free wine and a mixture everyday. Again if you want a 5* meal for breakfast lunch and dinner then go somewhere else and pay a 5* price! for me the food was great.

I think many people reviewing have too high expectations... for the money you are spending you get a great deal. Im looking forward to returning!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple