“A Return Visit and I Will Return Again”

Hotel Los Balcones de Chinandega
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Chinandega
Victoria, Canada
“A Return Visit and I Will Return Again”
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Yes, at times, the street noise can be a bother when you are sitting on the terrace. However, my room was clean, comfortable and quiet as it was during my previous visit in 2011. The breakfast was very good. I plan to return the next time I am in Chinandega.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel for at least a week, once a year, since it opened. The staff is friendly, the rooms clean and the breakfast good. We usually come with a group, and they take care of us very well. I haven't had the problems mentioned by others, although it is true the street noise is loud. I don't object to the room size, nor the fact that our window looked onto the inner courtyard. The shower worked just fine, as did the ac and fan.The location is conveniently situated downtown. No luxuries here, but no complaints, either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Our experience at Los Balcones was outstanding. We were there for a full week and had nothing to complain about. The service was great; the breakfast amazing; and the cleanliness superb. We would most definitely return to Los Balcones!

• Stayed June 2012
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Let me start out by saying, there are not a lot of options in Chinandega when it comes to hotels, it is just not a regular tourist destination. That said, I had reserved a room well in advance for my wife and I, we were planning on spending time with her family whom live in Chinandega. Upon arrival I was told that my rear facing quiet honeymoon suite had in fact been rented so my option was one of the "prison cells" that line the front along a main street, we took it. Now, if you look at my reviews, you'll see that I have spent a great deal of time in Nicaragua and other 3rd world locations so I know what to expect however, for $60usd per night this was unacceptable. The room was dirty, hair in the beds, uncleaned bathroom and the old "widowmaker" hot water heater did not function which is pretty scary as it was still hardwired in. For those unfamilier, this is a showerhead/waterheater combo and famous for electrocutions, you don't see them much anymore even in Nicaragua. My towel was sour which is really gross and the parade of cars, motorcycles and propoganda speaker trucks was non-stop throughout the night. Needless to say, I had no sleep that evening however, to my delight, the free breakfast (tipico) was freshly cooked to order and quite good, I tipped the cook a half days wages ($1.50 usd). My 4 night stay turned into a single night and I headed back to Granada after our visit. If you are desperate for a bed, fine, but if not, look elsewhere unless of course you are stone deaf with poor personal hygeine and comfortable in a room where you can nearly touch both walls at once with outstretched arms =) Your mileage may vary...

Room Tip: don't get near the main street!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny B
Crested Butte, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 13 March 2012

For $40 you would think there would be water in the bathroom, right? Well, there isn't and they wont give me a discount. I got to use the downstairs shower, which was not a great experience.
By the way, $40 is a TON of money for a hotel in this part of the world!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I stayed 4 nights and was impressed by the comfort of the room. It was well air conditioned, had a comfortable bed and a clean well-maintained shower. As the room was on the second level well away from the street, it was very quiet.The breakfast was basic but included the best coffee I have ever tasted.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank advoctae
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2010

As someone who has traveled to other countries and has stayed at five star hotels, Los Balcones has absolutely nothing to envy. The service was outstanding, the hotel very cozy, comfortable and welcoming. I would definately return to stay here.

Ana Tigerino

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank a4tig
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinandega
Hotel Los Portales
Hotel El Convento
#3 of 15 in Leon
Best Western Las Mercedes Leon
Hotel San Juan de Leon

Been to Hotel Los Balcones de Chinandega? Share your experiences!