“Almost afraid to join the chorus...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinandega
Rise Up Surf Tours Nicaragua
San Francisco, California
“Almost afraid to join the chorus...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

only because I'm afraid this place will blow up so much I never get back! Short, simple review: AWESOME. Lovely place, amazing staff, great food, great surf instructors... it's got it all. If you're looking for a surf escape, you've found it. Would go back right this second if I could!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

We just got back from about a week trip to Rise Up Surf Tours. We had surfed a few times prior, but this was a great way to immerse ourselves in surfing and really improve with the expert instruction from Phil. The yoga was great and geared toward loosening you up for surfing. The food was delicious, I was a little averse to the possibility of a vegetarian meal or two prior to the trip, but it was delicious, I didn't miss the meat at all… There is no wifi, no tv's in the rooms, it's a great place to disconnect.

The driver picks you up at the airport, and unfortunately, it's a 3 hour drive to the camp. Definitely worth it to wake up and see what's in store for you…what an amazing view! My favorite part of the trip was that once you get there, you don't need any money. They don't nickel and dime you once you get there, if you want to participate in the activities, it's all included. We rode horseback, went on a boat tour, they fished the morning we got in, all included.

I can't say enough about this place, the overall vibe was mellow and no pressure. We have traveled all over the world, and I think this is our favorite! We will definitely come back. This is a good place for couples, groups, or solo travelers.

Room Tip: Rooms are very basic. If you want a lot of amenities in the room, this place isn't for you. No...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I just got back from an amazing trip to Nicaragua. Top of the list is with no doubt my stay at Rise Up Surf. Not only is this spot a beautiful and unspoiled spot, that makes me dream away while writing this. Also the food, the surf, the yoga, the riding, the people, etc. is nothing less than fantastic. Regarding the surf, I was a newbie. However, the instructors' helpful, motivating, and patient attitude has convinced me that anyone can learn to surf here. I couldn't get my hands down after I caught a green wave on my very first day.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Last April was my third trip to Nica to surf, and we chose Rise Up. From the minute they pick you up at the airport to the minute they drop you off, you are in great hands! Phil is an amazing owner and the team is no less professional. Getting to the resort and not feeling well, Hugo made me a warm, ginger based concoction that helped almost immediately. The food is incredible, the views spectacular and the rooms are spotless. The surf was great and them having their own panga made each day an adventure!

We are going back again, this time to the new camp and will post feedback then. I recommend Rise Up to everyone who asks about going to Central America.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I needed a break from my job - and this was an incredibly restorative trip. I was at the Salinas camp with two friends. There were four other people who were there the whole week with us, but we had other intermittent visitors - all of whom I hope to keep in touch with. We did not have internet - so you actually had to interact with people! A novel concept, I know. But I honestly think the people and the experiences we had absolutely made the trip. A huge THANK YOU to Gemma, Chinto, Alexis, Fabien, Dan, and Tara. We were never at a loss for activities, and the food, conversation and warm atmosphere were just what the doctor ordered. Volcano boarding, yoga, boat trips and fishing were on tap besides surfing - and it is just taken care of.
I would warn you that it is more laid back than you might be used to when it comes to booking. If you MUST have a confirmation number - this is probably not the trip for you. My advice would be to "relax. It will work out. You will have a great place to stay and you will make great memories and friends."

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SFNatF
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

If you are looking for a very cool alternative to pricey resorts but still want to have 5-star customer service experience, look no further.

We are a family of four, two kids 11 and 9. We have stayed in the resorts in Cabo, Tenerife, Barbados and even Costa Rica but for all the money I’ve never gotten the value we got with Phil and his staff at Rise Up. The new facility is absolutely stunning; it is a remodeled hotel that sits on a bluff above the most beautiful stretch of beach you’ll see anywhere. 180-degree view of the endless pacific from the pool, the bar, the dinner table, the hammock and the spa.

The Crowd: Completely eclectic mix of people from all over the world, families with young children and teenagers, groups of post college age friends, solo travelers and even a few seniors. We were there over Christmas with 20 other people including Danes, French, US and Aussies. There was every opportunity to be as social as you wanted in fact most of us traded emails and phone numbers and are already in touch.

The Food: Jamie runs an unbelievable kitchen, 4 meals a day, all organic, super creative, always right on time and she was able to accommodate special diets for a few of the guests without a problem. Every meal was unique and we often had the fish for dinner we had caught on the boat only hours before.

The Fun: Surfing, volcano boarding, fishing, yoga, trips to Leon town or just spending the day in the hammock reading. There is never pressure to do anything but always something available to do. Oh yes and an awesome fun happy hour every day of the week.

Customer Service: As you’ve read in other posts, Philip makes the experience; he is a unique entrepreneur with a growing influence in the region due to his good nature, sustainable tourism philosophy and keen business sense. Safety was never a concern; we arrived on a late flight from New York and were met right at the gate and driven in an air-conditioned car directly to the resort. The staff is hand picked and most grew up in the local area. Great oversight in the water with my young children. More towels, extra pillows, special diets, borrow a mobile phone or request a special trip to town, nothing was ever a problem.

We made our reservations for next year before we left.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nelse2
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

A spontaneous urge to get out of the hustle of city life (for me from LA, my friend from Toronto) had us looking into surf camps in Central America which landed us at Rise Up Surf. Phil is the kindest owner/operator I've met at any resort/vacation destination. Oscar, Sherrie & Norbin were excellent surf coaches for us beginner surfers. The food was amazing and creative and healthy and we never went hungry, courtesy of Jamie the chef extraordinaire. Mostly vegetarian but with occasional fish or chicken entrees and primarily local sustainable ingredients. We loved hanging out with the staff all week, everyone was super cool, laid back, accommodating and fun. Our yoga instructor - Steph - was excellent at guiding practice based on how everyone was feeling after all the surf sessions. Loved her vibe and nurturing guidance, although she is only at the camp for a short time. Overall, it was a great get away to ring in the New Year. The rooms were spacious and comfortable with AC & private baths in Aposentillo. It's the newer camp on the North Pacific Coast that just opened and a beautiful property. I loved waking up early to sip my coffee at sunrise looking out at the vista where the pool lounges were. The camp exceeded my expectations and I'd come back here in a heartbeat!! Thank you Phil & team!!

Room Tip: There are 2 locations for Rise Up Surf - I am reviewing the Aposentillo camp where I stayed. I like...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chinandega
Redwood Beach Resort
#5 of 9 in Chinandega
Los Clavos Surf Camp
Los Clavos Surf Camp
#2 of 9 in Chinandega

Been to Rise Up Surf Tours Nicaragua? Share your experiences!