“Hotel Good - Linked Pub Not Good”

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Westhill
Ayr
“Hotel Good - Linked Pub Not Good”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I have stayed at Westhill Prem. Inn a number of times with the family and previously found the hotel and adjacent pub to be good. We normally eat at the Shepherds Rest pub adjacent to the Prem. Inn. On this occasion we had already eaten and went to the Shepherds Rest for a drink at 8.15pm. We were met with a very pleasant member of staff who showed us to a table and acknowledged that we were only having a drink. I approached the bar and again a very pleasant member of staff took my order for a pint of beer and 3 soft drinks (self + wife + 13yrs + 15yrs daughters). There were a number of tables with much younger children who had clearly finishing their meals/drinks. Whilst my beer was being poured another member of staff purporting to be the manager called his colleague to stop and approach me with the words “do you have id for those two?” I replied that I did not believe that I needed id as I know who they are! Not good enough came the reply and stated that I could not be served without proving my daughter were over 18 due to “his license did not allow children” Whether or not the interpretation of the license is correct I could not comment but how the “manager” approached me was unacceptable. He spoiled our evening with his rude attitude and I will not return to this Prem. Inn. I suggest that this individual is coached/trained as how to speak/approach customers as he is clearly well below acceptable competent standards. On previous stays we have enjoyed a drink before 9pm with our daughters but this was with a different, clearly much more customer friendly, manager.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding the adjoining restaurant. This is not a Whitbread establishment, but we will ensure that your feedback is passed onto our Management Team and the company responsible for this restaurant. Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I had booked this hotel for a midweek stay in December, I booked this as my normal hotel was fully booked so this was the closest to the area I was working in. I arrived at 20:45 to check-in and on attemting to check-in ai was told that there was no booking under my name. I gave receptionist my booking reference and was told that it was for the previous Saturday and had been charged as a no show, The receptionist then told e that I was the third person that had arrived that night with the same problem.

This raised alarm bells as it seems very strange to me that three people would make this same "mistake" I am obviosly to blame for not thoroughly checking the booking but there would appear to be an inherent problem with the booking website and I have since been told that if you have to go back at any point in the booking procedure it changes the date to the current date - hence my booking the Saturday.

I used to use Premier Inn all the time when they were known as Travel Inn and loved staying there but was becoming fed up with the same menu all the time for dinner, and breakfast was on many occasions hectic and not that great so hence reason for changing to another hotel. This situation was last thing I needed that night as all other hotels were fully booked. I did eventually manage to locate a last minute cancellation at a much higher price than I had paid for my No Show.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Tomasz_Safier, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2013
Dear KenTweed,

Thank you for your detailed review on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at Premier Inn Aberdeen Westhill.

I am very sorry about the problems you have experienced with your booking. Our Premier team aims to provide the most efficient check-in possible. As a result, I would like to investigate your situation more in depth, therefore could you please contact the hotel directly.

Overall, we still hope to host you again on your next visit to Westhill

Kind Regards,
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Arrived in atrocious weather & late, thank goodness for an easy check in & friendly staff.

My first time in a Premier Inn, accommodation in Westhill is very limited.

It was OK; room was adequate, a good size, small TV, small bathroom (with liquid soap dispenser!), tea & coffee making facilities.

It was quite noisy as the hotel was full & the rooms up above transmitted the noise. Rooms could be cold & the heating seemed to default to a low setting & be noisy when turned up.

The staff are excellent, cheerful, helpful & hard working.

It is very convenient for local industrial estates, within easy walking distance of many.

There's an expensive vending machine in the lobby, but the Shepherd's Rest pub/restaurant is attached to the hotel.

Breakfast is good & served in the Shepherd's Rest next door.

Wouldn't say it's particularly good value for money, but Aberdeen is very expensive, so it's probably not bad considering this.

All in all, OK if you have business in Westhill & no car. Wouldn't be disappointed if I had to stay again, but not sure it would be my first choice.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms can be noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Tomasz_Safier, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2013
Dear KPRtravel,

Thank you for your detailed review about Premier Inn Aberdeen Westhill. Your opinion is very important to us.

I would like to apologise for the inconvenience of internal noise, which you have experienced. I can assure you our night reception team is doing their best to manage it.
The heating has a thermostat fitted and can be adjusted up to 23 degrees.

We are extremely glad you have found our check in efficient and staff excellent.
We are all hoping to host you again in the near future.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed three nights during the recent snow. Guests are encouraged to write trip advisor reviews candidly. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Good size bedroom. However the duvet was not clean - seemed to have a dried - on remnant of a previous occupant's bogey on it which was very unpleasant. The bedding was changed at our request but this discovery was unacceptable. Our room, room 28, was immediately above the reception area so every time people went in and out of the reception into the corridor below the internal door would slam which we would hear through the floor of our room which became very irritating - and completely avoidable with a bit of modification. The soap dispenser by the sink didn't work properly. There is no heating in the bathroom at all and during our stay during cold weather the bathroom was very cold indeed. However much you alter the thermostat in the bedroom it always reverted to 16.5 degrees and had to be re-adjusted endlessly. Would we stay there again ? yes, if we really had to and couldn't find anything better nearby. We hope not to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 28
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear RHBristol_10,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. You feedback is very important to us.

I am very sorry for the issues you have experienced during your stay at Premier Inn Aberdeen Westhill. I can assure you the linen is changed frequently while servicing rooms and after every depart.
On your next visit please ask one of our friendly team members about an extra heater if needed.

We do hope you will come back and have a great stay at Premier Inn Aberdeen Westhill.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I stayed here for five nights with my father and we found everything ok. The location is excellent and the bedrooms were large and kept clean. The breakfast buffet was generous and good value for money.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Tomasz_Safier, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear seattle29,

Thank you very much for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We are extremely glad you found our hotel very good.

We are looking forward to your next visit in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Was booked here for 3 nights to visit relatives nearby. The lady on reception (Pat) was very helpful and informative. The room was clean and comfortable and had essentials ..Tea making and TV, bath/shower and temp controller.
You get Wifi free for 30 mins which was good, or £3 per 24hrs not bad.
I didn't eat at the restaurant next door right so cannot comment.
Tesco superstore adjacent however if you want some midnight munchies.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul C
Tomasz_Safier, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear Paul C,

Thank you for your kind review about your recent stay at Premier Inn Aberdeen Westhill.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our team members very helpful and informative.

We are looking forward to your next visit to Aberdeen.

Reviewed 11 January 2013 via mobile

£29 for a family room on Hogmanay . Great deal .... Terrific . The one member of staff (Pat) that we saw was lovely . She was so helpful . She made us feel so welcome . She even supplied me with a needle and thread to sew a button back on a shirt. Pat....thank you so much we will be back again if the restaurant changes hands (not a good experience in there....very disappointing) or we have a party to go to in the neighbourhood ...lol .

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Scott M
Tomasz_Safier, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Dear Scott M,

Thank you for the great comment about your recent stay at Westhill. We really appreciate your feedback.

Your compliments were passed on to Pat and she is really delighted to hear that you enjoyed our service.

We are all looking forward to your next visit to Premier Inn Aberdeen Westhill.

Tomasz Safier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westhill
Holiday Inn Aberdeen West
Jurys Inn Aberdeen
#8 of 64 in Aberdeen
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,884 reviews
Premier Inn Aberdeen City Centre Hotel

Been to Premier Inn Aberdeen (Westhill) Hotel? Share your experiences!