“Not the usual standard”

Holiday Inn Aberdeen West
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Westhill
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Came for lunch with a friend one day and was quite disappointed. My lemonade had black floaters in it, first and second time around. I ordered the chicken Caesar salad, which at £11.50 was quite pricey, considering it was literally a bowl of lettuce and chicken with a little dressing and stale croutons. Not my most enjoyable meal here. I usually go for a chicken burger which is ok, but thought I'd try something different this time. I did mention the rock hard, stale croutons to the manager when we were settling the bill- I didn't want to make a fuss or a big deal about it, but didn't even get an apology for the bad experience, just an acknowledgement of the problem. Think I'll give them a wide berth for a while...

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Marc J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Ruthy21,

Thank you for you recent review on TripAdvisor. I was disappointed to read your experience was not to the usual high standards of both food or service offering. I am sorry that you were not given an apology or even an acknowledgement of the issue, this is certainly not the way we treat any of our guests. Please be assured that I will investigate this matter personally to try to ensure that this experience is not repeated.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future, to restore your faith in us that this is not the usual standard of food or service.

Yours sincerely,

General Mananger.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We held our wedding reception here on 17th May after marrying abroad. Right from the start Elaine (Events Manager) made the planning of the day very simple, even though it wasn't a traditional day. Nothing was too much trouble and Elaine made sure everything was thought of. Even from before the date, guests were commenting of the helpfulness of the staff in the booking of their rooms, especially the guests with children who had the options of family rooms or adjoining rooms.
The day itself couldn't have gone any better. Paul was amazing, making sure everything went to plan, looking after all the guests, making sure everyone was happy and on hand for whatever we needed.
The food was wonderful, especially the sticky toffee pudding. The hotel had no problems catering for any of our guests dietary requirements and i lost count of the amount of people commenting on how much they enjoyed the food.
We couldn't have asked for a better experience for our wedding reception. All the way through from the planning, the running of the day, the rooms, the food and all the staff working over the weekend the experience was wonderful. All our guests commented on what a great day they had an this was down to the experience created by the Holiday Inn and their staff.
Couldn't have asked for more!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Linda P,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor for all to see, I am very pleased that you had such a wonderful experience. The whole team strive to ensure that everything goes without a hitch, Paul and Elaine are a real asset to the hotel and the kitchen brigade really do make some amazing food.

We do love to look after our guests and try to tailor each event to make it feel special for those involved, the whole team of management and staff are delighted you had a "perfect" experience and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Got married there on 10th May and wasn't entirely convinced when the staff said nothing would go wrong, but they were right. Even when I turned up on the morning of the wedding without the music I had been due to bring, they sorted it. The food was excellent, and the service was so efficient you almost didn't even notice the staff. We provided the cake and by the time they had cut it up to serve it with the tea and coffee, it looked like a work of art. If it was compulsory to get married twice, I would do it all again at the same venue with the same people.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Marc J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Paul G,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It is great to read that you had such an enjoyable day and that the team looked after you so well.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Decided to buy my wife tickets for the tributes night (Michael Buble & Robbie Williams) for her birthday and could not have got it so right, phoned hotel to organise tickets for it and very friendly staff member sorted it out for me and then offered me the deal to stay the night for only £69 great value as it included breakfast . The night was good entertainment, food was very tasty and well presented but my only criteria is that the staff were very slow at dishing out the courses table by table ( as I`m a chef of more than 30 years I can see where there is problems with service) having worked in a 4 star hotels myself, but everything else was perfect. the room was of a very good size, with a large flat screen T.V. but yet a bit old fashioned décor and furniture , very clean with a comply bed. After a really good nights entertainment and a good sleep was a very well-cooked breakfast, well-staffed, organised with very pleasant staff , will do it again very soon as from start to finish a very good experience .WELL DONE THANKS

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan and Caroli... M
Marc J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear TheMcDonalds186487,

Many thanks for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased you had a great experience at our recent tribute night and would like to thank you for your constructive comments.

I am very pleased all other aspects of your stay were very good and that after a great nights entertainment and a relaxing nights sleep you had a great breakfast.

Our tributes are on throughout the year offering many different acts, keep an eye out in the press for the next few, although we are already fully booked for the "Dolly Parton and Neil Diamond" act at the end of May!

General Manager.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked this hotel on short notice online as the hotels nearer to airport were full.
On arrival Monday 21st April 14 they had everything ready paperwork /key and check in was very efficient.
When I unloaded our bags into the entrance from the car the charming young lady from behind reception had them in our room in the few minutes it took me to park the car.
The room was very nice, spacious with a well lit and excellent bathroom (executive room)
We ate at the at the Glentanar lounge, the service was very good, very friendly and the food arrived promptly. The food was excellent and great value.
Check out in the morning was swift, courteous and once again a friendly smile.
Thank you very much all staff at this hotel for a tremendous stay and service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear PeterNIcoll,

Many thanks for posting a review for all to read on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased that all aspects of your stay were enjoyable. Our team work very hard to make sure every one of our guests receive an excellent level of service, we genuinely aim to please on every occasion.

I do hope we will see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Just had our wedding there on the 18 th April 2014 . All I can sum say is excellent from start to finish!
My bridesmaids and I arrived on the Thursday! Room was amazing and we went for a meal in the bar! Stuart was our waiter and was efficient and the service was excellent as was the meal
On the wedding day we had a lovely breakfast and with all the help from Elaine I was confident the day would run smoothly
Neil and Elaine were absolutely amazing! From our first meeting to all the events of the day!
The meal was amazing and again the service and planning of it all was second to none
The staff were helpful and nothing was too much bother
150 guests can't be wrong!!!
Everyone of them complimented your beautiful hotel and room setting, meal and service!
All I can do is highly recommend this hotel,
They made our wedding day the very best from check in , special day to check out
Truly amazing and will be remembered by lots of us for many years
Thank you to Elaine. Neil, and all the holiday inn staff
Sandra & Andy Cartney

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank sandraCartney
Marc J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Aberdeen West, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear sandraCartney,

What a great review! thank you for sharing your experience for everyone to read on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased that everything went so well from start to finish. I am particularly pleased that you had the opportunity to relax before, during and after your big day and that the team looked after you so well.

Stuart is delighted that you remembered him, he is a real asset to the hotel! Neil and Elaine and the events team do a fantastic job, they really enjoy making each special day unique and memorable for everyone.

The whole team look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Everything except faulty AC in room (system was reseting time to time and it was switching to constant frezzing mode) and fact that after a meal in restaurant I have problem with diarrhea already two days, everything was perfect. Maybe my bad luck this time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Arkadiusz N,

Many thanks for taking the time to to post a review on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that you have been feeling unwell. I would be obliged if you could contact me at the hotel to discuss the very serious allegation of food poisoning. At Holiday Inn we have a very stringent Food Safety Policy and extremely strict HACCP food safety procedure.

I can be contacted via email marc.jones@hiaberdeenwest.co.uk or via telephone on 01224 270300. I would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this matter fully, and discuss with you in more detail the food and meals you may have consumed.

Yours sincerely,

Marc Jones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Westhill
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Jurys Inn
Jurys Inn
#8 of 65 in Aberdeen

Been to Holiday Inn Aberdeen West? Share your experiences!