“Loire Uncorked-Excellent tour guide, terrific lunch, great wineries... great day!”
Review of Loire Uncorked - CLOSED

Loire Uncorked
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We had a wonderful day with Loire Uncorked. Amanda is a very knowledgable guide, and very friendly. We weren't sure what to expect, but this was the hi-light of our trip. We especially loved visiting the caves!

1  Thank BH_Travelin

Reviewed 9 November 2010

A belated thank you for a really enjoyable trip with Loire Uncorked round local wineries when I came to stay in the area last September. Amanda was just great and obviously knew her stuff as well as being on good terms with all the various wineries that we were lucky enough to visit . In fact I am hoping to do the visit again next year and I will certainly be reccomending Loire Uncorked to my friends

Reviewed 2 November 2010

We booked with Loire Uncorked because we had read the great reviews here on tripadvisor. We had a magical day visiting some great vineyards in Bourgueil and Vouvray. Amanda knew the winemakers well and we looked round caves from the middle ages and met families who have been making wine for 14 generations. Amanda explained the wine making system in France very clearly and we had a great French Bistro lunch into the bargain. We were lucky enough to go when the harvest was on so we really got some first hand experience of Turing grapes into wine. I can say it was one of the best days of our holiday.
I can't help but wonder if the last disgruntled reviewer posted his review on the wrong page as it certainly does not tie in with our experience, we had a wonderful day with this company or maybe it's just the competition trying to rubbish their rivals?

1  Thank Ellesmerian
Reviewed 31 October 2010

The other reviewers must have low standards. Here's how it really is. This tour is great if you want to spend 145 Euros ($200) per person for a two and a half hour lunch while someone tells you her life story. The entire day consisted of a grand total of 3 wineries: 2 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon. Not a lot of bang for the buck. Instead of telling us about the history of the Loire valley and the making of wine, the tour guide spent most of her time talking about her personal life and how much she hates the French. Her schedule was ineffiicient and resulted in most of the day being spent at the restaurant or in the car, so we visited only half as many wineries as I would expect for the time and money spent.
Apparently wineries here are closed daily from 12-2pm. The afternoon winery was a 45 minute drive away. A value-packed tour would have a shorter lunch and spend part of that time driving to the next destination, so we could get there by 2pm and make the most of the afternoon. Instead we had a 2.5 hour lunch followed by a 45 minute drive, eating up the afternoon and leaving time for only one winery visit.
Also wineries in this area are not like California. They don't have fancy tasting rooms filled with visitors and trinkets. In general the tasting room is small and uninspiring, and the host is surly and seems to wish us gone as soon as possible. They make no effort to tell you anything about their wine other than the year. Our guide didn't appear to have any sort of relationship with the wineries we visited, so there was no rapport with the people there and no sense of welcome. She seemed to be as much of a first timer as we were and seemed to be taking her chances that the wineries would even be open to receive us. I would expect an experienced and professional tour operator to have a better connection with the wineries and have a schedule set up so they know to expect us and can provide a warmer reception. A gift such as a local bottle of wine at the end of the tour would be a nice touch as well.
All in all this experience was a severe disappointment considering the money spent. For less money you can rent a car, get a map of the wineries, go out on your own, and visit twice as many wineries in a day.
As a simple comparison, the next day we went on a tour of the Chateaux in the region. In one day we spent 1 solid hour or more at 4 different chateaux, plus we had a lunch break, plus we drove past 3 more chateaux, plus we got a full day of colorful history narrated by the tour operator. Total cost was only 50 euros plus entrance fees, or about 100 euros per person. That's the kind of experience I would expect from a wine tour as well. Sadly this tour doesn't even come close. Pick another wine tour.

5  Thank jdmdiamond
loireuncorked, Owner at Loire Uncorked, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2010

What can I say about this review? Only that I can honestly say no client of Loire Uncorked has ever complained to me about their tour. They have all appeared very happy. Look at all the other reviews and make you own judgement. May be it's the competition or just an odd bod, I don't know.

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 October 2010

My husband and I took the Loire Uncorked tour while on our honeymoon. We were lucky that we were the only people who signed up that day so Amanda took us on a personal tour (though she only ever takes a maximum of 6 people, so every tour is pretty personal). She called us a day in advance to confirm and ask about our wine preferences add then planned out a special tour for us that included 3 wineries and incredible lunch.
This is NOT your average winery tour. It was not at all commercial. Amanda knows all the vineyard owners and was able to take us into the caves and show us around on our own before we met the owners/staff and tasted the wine. She was so knowledgeable about each vineyard, the process of making wine and the different types of wine we tasted. We have been to other wineries an taken wine tasting classes in the past, but this was more interesting and informative that an all of that.
We absolutely recommend Loire Uncorked!!!

1  Thank needtotravelmore24