“Dirty and dreadful”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Dirty and dreadful”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We visited on Saturday 6th July and have to say it is the worst place I have ever been. First thoughts were that it was not very clean and I was reluctant to stay but was persuaded otherwise. The photos show filthy curtains, filthy floors, skirting boards, walls and radiators. The waitress had to be asked to give our table a wipe as it was covered in sticky residue, the cutlery had to be replaced as it had remains of someone elses' dinner on it. There was graffiti on the walls and old, dried food on the walls and the radiator. Then the three meat carvery had only two meats, the sauces were not topped up and the dish of horseradish sauce was full of bits of mint sauce, the roast potatoes were burnt and vegetables dry. There was no gravy. The servers were disinterested and constantly not present. My meal was served, minus the Yorkshire Pudding that I then had to wait 10 minutes for, whilst the rest of my meal was going cold. Then to top it off I sat down to eat my meal and found a long hair in my stuffing. I complained there and then and was refunded the cost of my meal and offered a replacement meal which I declined. And to top it off, the flies were having a field day. I then made an on-line complaint and received a call from the Duty Manager..there appears no way of contacting Head Office (I wonder why!). The DM was very pleasant and offered her apologies and suggested she was going to speak to the cleaner. I think it will take more than that to sort this place out. We were offered vouchers for a return visit..We won't be using them.

• Visited July 2013

london
“you get what you pay for!”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

4 of us had a carvery plus pud for £20 YES £5 each,couldn't fault the main course,nice food and plenty of it.it seemed to me they could have more than 1 person behind the bar,but the staff friendly/efficent,and i left my phone behind,but alisha kept it in the office,so THANKYOU.

kent
“Great roast dinner”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

we went to the punch for lunch it was very busy and we struggled to get a table, the food was great nicely cooked turkey and ham, veg was fresh, tasty stuffing and new and roast spuds, the sauces are not replenished as out of view of the kitchen! You cannot grumble as the price is excellent. Staff are helpful. One thing I would suggest is to have the serving spoons out on the counter as they get very very hot placed in the serving dishes! we have been here on numorous occasions and have never had a bad meal.

1 Thank KentSue
Swindon Wilts
“Very poor food”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Bar staff were great at agreeing a child meal with upgrade to giant yorkshire to then find the carvery chef refused to serve it because we shouldn't have been sold it...it was an extra £1.50 so couldn't see why they created such a fuss...then it got worse...food had been under the heat lamp for ages and was all dried out...worse carvery we have ever had! Seriously avoid this place.

1 Thank SwindonWiltsMike
Sydney, Australia
“Not as bad as reviews suggest”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We went there on a friend's recommendation and had not read tripadvisor.
we went early, food was freshly coked and plentiful. Whilst not the most gourmet meal, we enjoyed what we had and the price was reasonable, would definitely eat there again. Our drinks cost more than our meal!

• Visited May 2013