“I Left My Heart in San Donato - Fattoria degli Usinogle Residence Hotel”

Fattoria degli Usignoli
Imperial, California
“I Left My Heart in San Donato - Fattoria degli Usinogle Residence Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

It took me five years to plan this trip. In between I've travelled to Paris, London,Hawaii, Philippines, China, and Mexico. Planning my trip to Italy took more than just throwing clothes in my luggage like we do on weekend stay at four stars hotel. I read books and logged on to different websites for useful informations. I created a plan and envisioned my dream vacation. When the time to fly to my dream vacation came I was ready for anything, determined to turn every second, minute, hours, days, and a full week of my stay count. Remembering some of the negative reviews I read prior to my trip, I was also prepared NOT to expect the extra pampering by staff especially I was told Italians don't really like Americans. My stay at Fattoria degli Usinogle proved all these negative reviews WRONG. I was mesmerized by the city's timeless beauty, the panoramic view of the Tuscan Hills from my window or while sitting at my balcony/patio. I took a picture of myself with the beautiful view of the hills and texted this to my families in california. In seconds I got several responses with the same comment "just like a postcard, how beautiful - wish we are there". Day two - danced our way to Florence by train and shopped til we dropped, then joined the 2:30 scooter ride tour. Took the train back to San Donato. First miracle happened. Day three - slept the whole day then went to a very fine dinner at the hotel's "Ristorante". Day Four - took the train again to shop at Florence some more and visited museums. Day 5 - left Fattoria degli Usinogle with a very heavy heart. The timeless beauty, heart-warming welcoming natural beauty of this little city captivated my eyes and my mind. But the best experience of all is how the staff made me feel. Fattoria degli Usinogle residence hotel have the best and most personable staff. They are very knowledgeable, very resourceful, they speak English, they are always there when you need them making you feel you never left the comforts of HOME. It was difficult to leave all these behind, but I will come back for two reasons: I would like to experience all the above again, and secondly I did not accomplish my mission for coming.........to write the last chapter of the book I am writing. Thank you to all the staff at Fattoria degli Usinogle Residence Hotel particularly Benedicta, Gerald, Barbara, Robert and Nick to mention a few.

Room Tip: Talk to hotel management/staff. I'm sure they will give your hearts desire. I love my little apa...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Lynne I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Korean first
Cheyenne, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Lovely place, had no problem locating it. Staff was kind and helpful. Had a nice apartment with great view. Restaurant was excellent! Close to train and lots of scenic drives. Even have beautiful horses to ride! Great place for a wedding.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Starrwy
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

What a pleasure it was to stay at this beautiful property on my first, and hopefully not last, trip to Italy! The website accurately portrayed a lovely country inn with breathtaking views of the Tuscan hillsides. I traveled with my friend to this fattoria in November of 2013 during the height of truffle season. The accommodations were not luxurious, but they were comfortable and clean with an authentic rustic feel: the exposed wood and brick in our apartment was especially charming. We had a helpful and convenient little kitchenette with a hotplate and small refrigerator, perfect for late night and morning tea and snacks which we purchased at the little store just up the hill. Our biggest disappointment was that the restaurant had closed, which we had not seen mentioned on the website and hadn't been brought to our attention after having contacted the staff via e-mail more than six weeks before our arrival. We had hoped to eat dinner there on our first evening, since we arrived later and didn't feel comfortable or energetic enough to venture out on our first night. Getting clean linens was somewhat difficult at times and the water pressure/temperature isn't the most comfortable after one resident has taken a shower, but we adjusted well to the situation, and the water pressure may be emblematic of the age of the property. Most of the staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and we were grateful with the help concerning directions and recommendations for restaurants in Florence: Osteria del Porcellini was wonderful! I hope to be able to visit again in the near future!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank savinmavin
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I give this hotel 5 stars because the staff is helpful and the rooms are very nice. The restaurant can be a little pricey but that is to be expected. This place can provide some good views of the countryside.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Will B
Parker, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We spent 5 nights at the villa...we found the people welcoming and accommodating. The rooms were very clean; the breakfast was a great start to the day; the dinner in the restaurant was delicious! We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Heads up: It was very difficult to find the first time and the hot water runs out very quickly!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jen_in_Parker
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Usignoli was everything we dreamed a Tuscany Villa would be. We booked through Great Value Vacations and every single step of our journey exceeded our expectations. (some reviews read before leaving and the REALLY great price we paid for our trip...we tried not to expect too much, but we were pleasantly surprised.) Benedita at the desk even put train time table and directions in a pocket folder to add to my own itinerary. Our room had a balcony and kitchenette that was clean & charming & soooo Italia! We went to local deli and bakery (forno) down the road which added to the charm of sipping wine and tasting the freshest meats and cheeses and olives ever! I horseback rode through olive trees and gorgeous views of the Tuscan hills. (There is a separate ranch from villa; beautiful trails will lead you to ranch owner who will be more than happy to be your guide @ only 25 euro for 1 hour) We came to Reggello from Frascati (near Rome), but before leaving the staff at our Rome Villa was very helpful in putting directions into our GPS and we found Usignoli with maybe 2 wrong turns, but within minutes of villa. The roads to the villa we found to be part of the fun of discovering Italy especially Tuscany; in fact a big plus in our journey ~ yes, winding and narrow, but we laughed the whole way up and back each and every time! Walking the very well kept grounds, there is a picture waiting to be taken around every corner! Wanting to take something home from here I bought a bottle of their Extra Virgin Olive Oil and is it Olive Oil Gold!!!! Sprinkle a few drops on fresh warm bread ~ add a few shakes of fresh parmesan cheese ~ a big Hmmmmmmm in every bite. The train is a 10 minute ride down the hill and will take you to Florence in less than half an hour. We actually took the train from S. Ellero (station in Reggello) to Pisa Centrale (saw the Leaning Tower) then grabbed a train to Monterosso in Cinque Terre. Dream of a vacation! Thank you again for being a big part it Usignoli! If you want authentic Tuscany ~ I highly recommend this spot. :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Italyplease88
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This is way out in the country with no signs whatever to guide you in. And GPSs will have their own problems. Rely on friendly villagers to point you the way. We came in late at night and couldn't even find the front door--they hid reception building behind the restaurant, again with few signs to guide the way. When we went to our room we had to go up steep stairs through a dark hallway. Each room has its own water tank, and its only enough for one shower. So if you have more than one person, you have to alternate and leave time for the water to heat. The shower leaked like a sieve all over the floor. We went to the restaurant the first nite, with very slow service, and a meal worth barely half the price. The breakfast buffet was mediocre. Staff is unfriendly. Immediate hotel surroundings are rather beat, like nobody cares to clean up the place. (This particular apt had a kitchenette, with no soap or other supplies for cleaning--no paper towels). The saving grace was a store up in the village about a half mile away with foodstuff and supplies to keep us going for our 4 night stay. If you plan on using this hotel as an opportunity to see Florence or surrounding cities, best to remember it will take you nearly an hour to get down from the mountain through a morass of curving steep roads with sharp turns, blending two-lane and narrow one-lane roads together. Quite an experience. Never again. (Oh, and if you're going to play tennis here, since they advertise tennis courts, 2/3 of the court is covered with algae, which will make for mushy balls).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Rignano sull'Arno
Villa Pitiana
Villa Pitiana
#1 of 1 in Donnini

Been to Fattoria degli Usignoli? Share your experiences!