“What a superb hotel!”

Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chigwell
“What a superb hotel!”
Reviewed 12 September 2012 via mobile

This is the second time I have stayed at Menzies. We had a great time last time but they have just finished refurbing the dining area and bar, along with some of the rooms. We had plans to eat out but changed our mind as the new restaurant is so luxurious! The food was delicious and we ended up staying for drinks in the lounge bar after.

I couldn't believe the transformation. The room we stayed in was a suite, room 308. It was a huge room with a sofa, large bed and modern furnishings.

The reception team were exceptional in helping us find a room to suit us (we are quite picky!). I will definitely be returning, as again, the service was impeccable - thanks to everyone for going above and beyond.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Sammy9000
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear Member,

Thank you very much for you kind review.

I will certainly share your comments with all of my staff and I was especially pleased to read your comments with regards to our recently refurbished bedrooms.

Stuart Friell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed here for one night while attending a nearby wedding.

The hotel wasn't too bad but more three-star than four. Our room (212) was a good walk from reception and involved two lifts. Upon arrival it was clean enough but a bit tired, with a bed that has probably seen better days. The small TV was also a bit far away from the bed to be watched comfortably.

Also, the corridor was a bit of a building site when we arrived as the rooms opposite were being upgraded and this was noisy during the day (while our young son was trying to sleep).

Hopefully the renovated rooms will be to a better standard. Breakfast was very good but the hotel lacks some of the attention to detail required from a four-star. For example, there was no soap in the public toilets and staff needed to be asked twice for items during breakfast.

Overall, a mixed bag.

Room Tip: Check how far from reception you are. Ask for a renovated room and try to be away from ones that are...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank weelarry
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Dear Member,

Thank you for your recent review.

I do apologise for the noise caused as a result of our refurbishment programme and I am pleased to confirm that our refurbishment works are now complete and I do hope you return in the not too distant future to experience our new facilities.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

As part of working for the Olympics we stayed here for the last 4 nights having stayed in a travel lodge for the week before and a hovel of a place in ilford for a week previous and believe it or not all 3 around the same price this just slightly more expensive but 10 times better stay than the travel lodge and 100 times better than ilford the room had plenty of storage space a sofa free wifi and shower gels and body lotions the bed was verry comfy and big super king I think and the breakfast is out of this world if you want it thay have it although verry pricy if not included in your room £16 and if you want it in your room £4 extra only downside is its a long walk too the rooms from reception and we got stuck in the lift for 40 mins ringing the bell and nobody came it was 1.30 am and we since found out it happens quite regular but that wouldn't put me off staying there again I'd take the stairs tho

• Stayed August 2012
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Member,

Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and whilst the rooms located in our chapel conversion are a small distance from the reception at the front of the hotel I do hope the charming grounds made up for the short walk. The hotel offers full portage service to assist our guest with luggage and we do offer on allocation, rooms located within the main house should our guest require a need to be close to the reception area.

I was however concerned to read your comments with regards to the lifts, in my experience having run the property for 7 years, this is the first issue that has been brought to my attention and it goes without saying that this will be escalated to our maintenance company.

Durham
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on 8 August, having travelled from Norwich (where I had slept in one of the best hotel beds EVER (see Maids Head Hotel review).

Back to the Prince Regent .....

Ample free parking, quick and easy check in, room clean (room 212) but quite a trek from reception. Bed had obviously been *well used*, let's say! Woke the next morning aching all over. Bathroom had one of my pet hates, a shower curtain that wraps itself around you.

Breakfast ok, this hotel is trying to be posher than it actually is, and is not a 4 star.

One gripe - they are obviously hosting security workers for the Olympics and this group were loud in the bar at night and at breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Member,

Thank you for your recent review. I was disappointed to read that you found the bed uncomfortable resulting in a poor night’s sleep.

The sleep experience is extremely important to Menzies Hotels and we are currently undergoing a complete refurbishment of the hotel focusing on areas such as these. I am pleased to say that phase one of the refurbishment is drawing to a close and I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

I do apologise that you also experienced noise from our Olympic games resident who as I am sure you can appreciate, travelled and worked unsociable hours in order to help bring us the successful games that we enjoyed.

Reviewed 15 July 2012 via mobile

This hotel is really nice we came to stay here on the night of our wedding reception.
When we arrived the staff was really helpful and friendly and made us feel welcome.
Our room was lovely n comfortable.
We had breakfast and lunch n both meals were really really nice.
We would definatley come back and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 19 July 2012
Dear Member,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I will certainly pass your comments on to all the team at the Menzies Prince Regent Hotel.

Kind regards,

london
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I organised a dinner and dance at the Princess suite,and in conjunction with the events staff and Matthew the general factotum for the kitchens we had 140 guests,who had preordered a choice of two starters,3 main meals,fish chicken and vegetarian and two separate desserts.
Each person got what they ordered and each table was served in an orderly manner and for such a number of people I did not have one complaint. Everything was very hot that needed to be and the whole catering of the event went very smoothly. We ordered a fruit platter for the interval between dances and you have never seen the wonderful presentation demolished so quickly. Everthing about the function went smoothly,down to each waiter and waitress being properly schooled and supervised. Well done the Events team.
Jeffrey Ziles.Earlham Lodge Secretary.

Room Tip: Ring beforehand,and detail your reqirements and insist on getting what you ordered.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jeffrey z
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Member,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable experience when you recently held your festival with us. I was especially pleased to read your comments about Matthew and his team and I will certainly pass these on to them.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back next year

Kind regards,

reading
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Initally I was very impressed by the look of the hotel- it was smart looking and easy to locate. It had ample free parking and free wi if. When I checked in I explained that as I had loads of stuff please could I have a nearby room for easy access. The receptionist appeared the agreed but handed me room 307 which is as another member if staff admitted possibly the furthest from the reception. I felt no consideration had been given to my needs and as hours later I heard other people checking in and being placed in much much closer rooms I felt dry annoyed. To be fair entually I did get some staff help with my bags.
My bedroom looked nice- until I realised that the carpet had clearly not been hoovered as there were sparkling glitter on the floor and immense cobwebs the span of my hand in the corner. But really what horrified me was when ordering the labelled Vegetarian pasta - it was served with the wrong pasta and had hidden ham in the sauce! This is not on!!!!! They did not muck up the fruit salad however a spoon to eat it with would be nice. This was wrong on so many levels

Room Tip: Persist with the receptionist if they send you miles away. check cleanness of room before you unpack...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank farfromhomeReading
, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear member,

Firstly may I start by apologising for the shortcomings you experienced when you recently stayed at the Menzies Prince Regent, hotel and since receiving your email, I have carried out a full investigation with regards to the points and comments you have made within your correspondence. I have today spoken at length with my Head Chef, Reception Manager and head housekeeper with regards to issues which you experienced.

In all cases we try to accommodate our guest’s needs and regrettably on this occasion the four poster suite 307 was the only room which had not been previously allocated with the large party staying in the hotel at the time. I am certain had we known of your request prior to arrival, more would have been done to accommodate your needs. I was pleased to read that my staff were on hand to help with your luggage as it a standard at the hotel.
Whilst I am certain that this was an isolated incident, we do take our customer feedback extremely seriously and I take full responsibility when we fail to deliver to a four star standard and I would like to thank you for bringing your findings to my attention. I will ensure the appropriate training is undertaken to ensure incident such as these do not reoccur

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies.

Yours sincerely

Stuart Friell

Travellers are raving about these Chigwell hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chigwell
Travelodge London Chigwell
St. Georgio Hotel
St. Georgio Hotel
#5 of 15 in Ilford
Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park

Been to Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent? Share your experiences!