“Comfortable and quiet”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chigwell
Croyde, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and quiet”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel one Friday night. The staff were polite and helpful. The room was clean and nicely decorated.
My room was at the back of the hotel and therefore very quiet. My only disappointment was the fact that the doors were not sound proofed so you could hear arguments going on in the corridor late at night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Isabelle B
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Isabelle,

Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay albeit you were disturbed by noise from a fellow guest.

Stuart Friell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
Ilford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Myself and Iona, who just got married in Ilford area, decided to stay at your hotel for the night of our wedding... I can say par excellence... Room amazing, breakfast and service superb, all in all great experience, and will return... Highly recommended to all and everyone..

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Member,

Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and I will certainly pass on your kind comments to all of my team.

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Fantastic Hotel.
We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and we had the most brilliant time in london ever. Lovely friendly staff and a nice sizeable room and bed with free car parking. The food at this hotel was really nice and not pricey at all as a recent reviewer had stated. 15 minute walk to the nearest tube station and a 25 minute train into central london. We went to a concert at the O2 arena and had a super time. Breakfast is honestly as good as anywhere and we are coming back in june and I cant wait. Thank u so much x

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Joey,

Thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and I will certainly pass on your kind comments to all of my team and I do hope to meet you when you return in June.

Alfreton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Juist Spent two nights at this hotel, fortunately my company paid for the stay,
i certainly would never pay the high prices charged for what is a very average hotel experience,
The rooms seem ok, but you have to walk a long way to get to them,
I chose to eat at the hotel one evening, big mistake, terrible service, average food & high prices,
only plus point was the very nice lady serving at Breakfast,

I will not be returning, my employers money will be much better spent elsewhere !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Andrew P
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your recent review. I was disappointed to read you experience poor service in my restaurant and without more detail it is difficult to comment as to why you were inconvenienced. I would like you to contact me directly firstly so that I can apologise to you in person and secondly so that I can investigate the issues you experienced.

I look forward to hearing from you and once again please accept my apologies.

Stuart Friell

Travellers are raving about these Chigwell hotels

Christchurch, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

came to this hotel on a ""deal""..... two nights b+b with dinner on one night. stayed in room 312,clean tidy room with faint smell of cigarette smoke ,small windows so no"" view""... very clean crisp bed linen and spotless bathroom.. the down side was the bed..itseemed to be a small double and the mattress !!! it was so uncomfortable with the springs pushing through and each time my husband moved, my side of the bed bounced up and down a bit like a water bed !!!.... .BUT when I mentioned it to Kelly on reception she offered to change our room right away, but having unpacked I was reluctant to re pack and move so second nights bad rest was entirely my own fault .and could have done with a little fridge in the room too..... the food in the restaurant at dinner was exceptional,with a bowl of soup big enough to feed 3 people as a starter, the salmon main course was beautifully cooked and presented and we has ""time"" between each course to talk and digest !!!! no mad rush to feed us and get us out, special thanks to restaurant manager JEAN ???? who supervised everything with a quiet calmnesss and who recconised the occasion of our 35th wedding anniversary with a complimentary glass of ""bubbly "" Thank You so much. breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice of hot and cold food and our requests for porridge and poached eggs were taken and handled without fuss, and even when I almost set the toaster on fire trying to warm some croissants it was handled with calm amusement!!!!!!. finally my thanks to the girls on reception for all the extra information about buses ,tubes, directions and suggestions, (yes Kelly we did get to westfields shopping centre at stratford).. so to the hotel manager...I think you should be very proud of your staff they are a great bunch , polite ,helpful ,well mannered and a credit to you and your hotel. and I worked in the hotel trade in London for many years so feel I am able to judge a good standard.

Room Tip: rooms on first floor appear?? to have much larger windows than second floor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine K
Friell, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear Christine,

Thank you very much for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially pleased to read your extremely kind comments regarding my team at the hotel. I will certainly share you review with them and I do hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Thank you once again for your review and lovely comments.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My fiancee and I stayed here last weekend (25 - 26 January) as we were attending a friend's 30th Birthday Party at a nearby restaurant.

Arriving at the hotel I was initially happy with our choice of hotel, being very close to where we eating at night and also looking fairly good from the outside.

Check in was fine and the receptionist was nice; however, from here the experience went downhill.

Upon opening the bedroom door (room 113), the smell of stale smoke immediately hit us. This seemed strange seeing as the room had a no smoking sign in it. This would indicate to me that the room had not been properly cleaned for quite a while. It also meant that all our clothes ended up stinking of smoke.

The room was also absolutely freezing. We rang up reception to tell them that the room was cold. We told them that we had tried adjusting the radiator but with no effect. They said that the radiator was probably off and that we had to turn it on using a dial on the other side. We tried this to no effect.

It so happens that we had rung down for an iron and when it was delivered to the room we asked the gentleman to see if he could try. He had a quick try and said it was probably broken and would get us a portable heater. On reflection his response was a little too quick. Maybe they knew the heating wasn't working in advance? In which case why was this room used?

If we weren't so tired; having been traveling since 5am in the morning and took the view that we were only staying one night, we would have asked to be moved to another room. However, we didn't and decided to have a nap and then get ready for the evening.

Too be fair, the bed was comfy.

My fiancee wanted to have a bath, but couldn't bring herself to do it. The edges of the bath were grimy and had what looked like rust around the outside. Plus there was mold on the ceiling above it.

I decided that I needed a shower and would cope with it being a bit grim. The water was hot and the pressure was good. However, there was a very thin line when adjusting the temperature between it being pleasant and scalding.

While at dinner, we were sat near some people who were also staying at the same hotel. When speaking to them it seemed that they didn't have any of the same problems we had and in fact their rooms appeared to have been newly refurbished. It also appears that they paid the same price for their room as we paid for ours. This begs the question why we seemed to have had 2 completely different experiences?

Indeed when we were checking out we walked past several rooms with their doors open which seemed to have been newly refurbished.

I imagine that if we had been put in a nicer room then this review would have been a lot more positive as the staff were good. Unfortunately, the room was not up to the standard of a 4* hotel and not worth what we paid for it, especially as we could have had so much better.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 113 at all costs. It's freezing, dirty and smells.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guernsey2
Dear Member,

Thank you for your recent review. I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us and since reading your review I have escalated this to both my maintenance engineer and my housekeeper with regards to your finding you have highlighted. Thank you for your kind comments with regards my team at the hotel.

Please accept my apologies and I am sorry that we failed to live up to the high standards which many guests have commented on so favourably on this site.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had Staff New Year's party at the begining of January in the Regency Suite and overall it was a success. I didn't have any negative feedback from the attendees. All event run smoothly, with very pleasant and helpful staff at hand. Recommended DJ did a great job running the whole show. We had a sit down 3 course dinner which was really delicious and well presented.
We hired 40 bedrooms for the people staying after the party and those were clean and had a comfy beds. The only minus was the number of twin rooms available in the hotel, but we were able to deal with this and all went well...
Thanks so much to all involved and hope to see you soon... :-)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kate,

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your visit to my hotel for your annual works staff party. I was delighted you enjoyed yourself and I will ceratinly share your comments with my team.

Stuart Friell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chigwell
Travelodge London Chigwell
St. Georgio Hotel
St. Georgio Hotel
#5 of 15 in Ilford
Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park

Been to Hallmark Hotel London Chigwell Prince Regent? Share your experiences!