The Old Post Office
The Old Stocks Inn(Stow-on-the-Wold)
US$212
US$234
Travelocity
The Manor House Hotel(Moreton-in-Marsh)
US$132
US$129
White Hart Royal Hotel(Moreton-in-Marsh)
US$139
US$135
Redesdale Arms Hotel(Moreton-in-Marsh)
US$155
Sheep on Sheep Street(Stow-on-the-Wold)
Stag Lodge(Stow-on-the-Wold)
Stow Lodge Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
The Unicorn Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
Fosse Manor Hotel(Stow-on-the-Wold)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfudgebreakfast was deliciouslovely hostsbed and breakfastfantastic weekendlow ceilingsfull englishthree nightsother guestsold post officenicola and chriswhispercountrysidefox5starcerealcotswolds
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This was one of our favourite B&Bs. Our "pink" was immaculately presented and spotless. The breakfasts were excellent and Nicola actually did a wash for us! We were given a map with all tourist spots highlighted. Would not hesitate to recommend this fabulous B&B. Maureen K (Australia)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The Old Post Office is indeed lovely: all of the positive reviews are true. Chris and Nicola kindly lent us wellies and a map for walking.

However, I have misgivings about the way the B&B is advertised and how details were communicated. Despite the Tripadvisor review of September 2012, there is still no clear statement on the web site that guests are expected to leave the house from 10:30 to 4:00 each day, nor was it mentioned in a phone conversation when booking. Not all B&Bs have this rule, far from it, and especially anything billing itself as a "luxury B&B" and charging £110 per night should be explicit about this. I had an uncomfortable phone call with Nicola when I asked about the policy (only discovered on the TripAdvisor site the night before our stay was to begin). In the end, we stayed for three nights and were allowed some flexibility on this, especially due to the rainy New Year's Day.

Though the web site says there is internet, and Nicola assured me there was internet when I asked upon booking, we found service to be almost non-existent for the three days we were there. Upon arrival, Nicola told me that the speed they get is 0.4 Mb, and later Chris said service was very frequently down.

When I booked, Nicola talked me out of staying in the Master Bedroom and instead persuaded us to stay in the Orchard Room (due to it being easier to heat) without mentioning that the Orchard Room is not en suite. This, like the other issues mentioned above, would have made a difference in our decisions if we had known beforehand.

Room Tip: The Orchard Room is up one flight of stairs, has a private bath just outside the room, and has a low ceiling. The Master Bedroom is up two flights, has an en suite bath, and has a pitched ceiling.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jbw243
Addled02, Owner at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Thank you for taking the trouble to write a review. We are obviously disappointed that, despite our greatest efforts to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, you were able really only to find fault in what we offer. Our policy regarding check in and check out has only been misunderstood on one other occasion in six years. As I said in response to a previous US reviewer, I am aware of few b&bs who permit guests to remain in the house all day long as if it was an hotel. I tried to explain to you when you called that this is our home and we are owners, staff, shoppers and bottlewashers all wrapped up in one and we need to be able to get out during the day. This is something that is clearly not going to be understood and, as stated previously, it has only arisen on one other occasion. We showed great flexibility during your stay which receives little acknowledgement.

As far as the wifi is concerned, I explained to you on arrival that our telephone/broadband line had been adversely affected by the terrible weather we have had recently. I have endeavoured to report it to BT but their line testing system can find no fault. We have not had such poor service before; however, we are in a very rural part of England, at the farthest point from the exchange and have never enjoyed speeds of more than 0.4mb. We are pursuing every possible option in terms of alternative wifi provision but the fibre optic network has not been prioritised for this tiny village in rural Gloucestershire. Once more, we have never before had a complaint about our wifi service, used by 99.9% of our guests.

I suggested that you stay in Orchard since it is the cosiest bedroom during the winter and I did not know that the weather was going to be so mild – wet but mild. Our website clearly states that the bathroom is adjacent. You did not comment about your room or adjacent bathroom so I was given no opportunity to find an alternative solution. I note from your review that you have attributed an en suite bathroom to our Master bedroom – it does in fact have a small en suite shower room.

We invited you for a glass of champagne before you went out to dinner on New Year’s Eve and you said how much you enjoyed your evening at The Fox Inn. Your partner also said how delicious our breakfasts were. I am sad that none of these positives merit mention.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

I stayed there last June with my 2 best friends and we had a fantastic time; the owners are very welcoming. Nicola offered to prepare dinner for us as we were arriving late from London in the evening and it was delicious (£20 extra per person but definitely worth it!). The room we stayed in (the pink room) was decorated very nicely; the room is spacious and the bed is huge and very comfortable, the bathroom is pretty small though. There are some great walks to do in the beautiful countryside, and Daylesford (Organic Farm) is nearby where you can buy organic food and/or have a great massage. I would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Absolutely fabulous B&B in the middle of the Cotswolds. Convenient to exploring the entire area, but away from the usual tourist haunts, so you wake up to the lovely sound of birds instead of buses. Impeccably decorated with no detail appearing to be missed to make our stay comfortable, such as the cozy bedding, a towel warmer in the bath, lovely scented soaps and lotion, fresh flowers. Our hosts were wonderfully welcoming, very accommodating on every need, and had great recommendations for eating and sightseeing. They're fascinating to sit and chat with.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Addled02, Owner at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Dear Both, we are missing you already. Thank you for taking the trouble to write such a lovely review. The sun has of course now been shining for three days! With best wishes, Chris & Nicola

Reviewed 13 September 2012

While the Old Post Office is a lovely inn, with very welcoming hosts, our trip there was made uncomfortable recently when the proprietress told me that even though we were staying there for 3 nights, during the daytime, between 10 30 and 4pm, we would basically have to vacate the premises. I was told they are a bed and breakfast, not an inn, and being American I'm probably not aware of this quaint custom they have of booting the guests out during the daytime. I was both embarrassed and blown away, I've been travelling the world for 30 years and never heard of anything like this,except maybe at a youth hostel. So our stay here was soured somewhat by this incident which made me feel uncomfortable to say the least. The inn itself, the food, the accommodations, would get 4-5 stars. This ridiculous 'policy', and the way I was made to feel the fool, drops it to 2 stars in my book. Be forewarned.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Jeff K
Addled02, Owner at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Thank you, Jeff, for taking the trouble to write a review of The Old Post Office. We are a little surprised that a policy that is common to every other bed and breakfast we know of is considered to be ‘strange’. There is a fundamental difference between an inn and an English bed and breakfast. This is our home and we are the hosts and staff all in one. Since we would clearly not wish that this misunderstanding be repeated, we have put a note in our two guest bedrooms setting out this policy and providing other information to guests. We were delighted that you chose to stay with us for three nights when we had only expected you for one.