“Absolutely lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wren House Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Donnington
Wren House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Donnington B&B and Inns
“Absolutely lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

Wonderful B&B. The hostess, Kiloran, is a gracious host. Her cottage is totally delightful. Her breakfasts are out of this world (I gorged myself on her homemade marmalade and bought some to take home with me for both myself and in-laws). I stayed here when I was pregant with my daughter - Kiloran could not have been more hospitable and made sure I was very well fed. A truly lovely find.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AureliaGrosvenor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Uckfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

Having read the reviews on trip advisor about Wren House I couldn't wait to get there, some of the reviews are amazing. Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't find it so amazing. The look of house, the garden and location are really great - I have travelled to the Cotswolds for the past 10 years and stay in B&Bs each time so this one sounded amazing. I stayed in the twin room, there was no en-suite with it, as we were the only guests that weekend we could have been offered the top floor which can be a twin room and has en-suite. This room and breakfast cost £110 for one night so I was really expecting the works - my every need taken care of etc etc - absolutely no food in the rooms - there was no fresh milk outside our door, as promised in the mornings. We had a long day and wanted to totally relax in our room and maybe watch the television. There was no television just a transistor radio - it would have been nice to have the choice. This B&B has glowing reviews don't forget, so I consoled myself that I would get a breakfast which was out of this world. I was so disappointed as it was so overcooked. The next morning it was nearly the same - there wasn't anything great about it - for the price I would have expected a little more effort instead of fried egg, sausage, bacon. Kiloran wasn't the great host I imagined - she was prickly, she almost forgot to say good morning to me - I was completely amazed, she didn't invite any conversation about my stay - she is the host after all. Not worth the money - It promised so much - and delivered very little.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank BettyBoop29
Newbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

I have always been a fan of trip advisor, and if I read one review that is negative I would rule the place out. but, Alistar Sawday recommends it, so I thought go for it! You cannot find fault with any of the above. The website is well written but it does leave out a few things you should be aware of. twin bedded room has a bathroom and toilet down the corridor (although) very nice, you are led to believe it is ensuite. No eating in room and do not come back until 4, (this was no problem for us as Kiloran gave us a key), and no tv in room. We were asked what time we would like breakfast, our breakfast was cooked around 8.00 and put in the warmer until 9.00 - (burnt sausages, dead bacon and grilled tomatoes.) This seems to be the norm, cook early put in warmer. The rest of breakfast was fine. Paying £110 per night per room I expect everything to be freshly cooked! Kiloran is rather aloof and only speaks to you when she feels like it. (she may have been having a rough couple of days) who knows! I am also writting to Alistar sawday, he seriously need to re-visit.

Room Tip: Go for top floor bedroom with ensuite.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank suzywong190745
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed in the last available room on one of the busiest days of the year in this part of the world as it was the Cheltenham Festival. I found the Wren House with ease and was enchanted by its cosy feel, and relaxed by a roaring fire with magazines before venturing out to dinner.
Despite it being a full house, the owner was attentive and thoughtful and although I was on my own, I was made to feel welcome without being fussed over.
Breakfast the following morning was one of the best I have ever had. The meusli, fruit compote, fresh blueberries and great coffee were fantastic but I was glad I left a little room for the delicious cooked breakfast and the best marmalade I have ever eaten!! Luckily I was able to buy a jar afterwards and, not suprisingly, it is made with a high fruit conent of organic Sevilles - what a rare treat!
Definitely a place to return to - well run, spotlessly clean and off the beaten track without being inaccessible.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

We stayed for the weekend at the Granary Cottage, in the grounds of Wren House,
Kiloran left us alone to get on with our weekend break and as we had been before we knew the area well.
The cottage is delightful although freezing cold upon arrival; we boosted the heating for an hour and a mug ofhot tea and we soon succombed to the charm of the place. After a wonderful evening meal at the Butchers restaurant in Stow (highly rec), we retired to the cozey cottage and set about getting a fire going in the log burner, a pure delight and a very welcome addition to the property. The large bed is a delight and welcomes you to a good nights sleep, the heated floor in the high spec bathroom was also a treat.
After a relaxed weekend we took ourselves off to see Kiloran and purchase a jar of home made marmalade; we saw the delightful newley born pups, gorgeous and full of the ah... factor, a quick tour of the large property, lounge with huge inglenook fire place and large farm house kitchen.
Can reccommend a stay here and will be happy to return

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flossyflyn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2011

I recently stayed at Wren House and while the house itself is one of the most beautiful examples of Cotswold architecture around, and extremely well maintained, I would like to ensure others are not as surprised as we were by certain elements of our stay.

First, it should be known that visitors are expected to leave after breakfast and not return before approx.1630 to the house. Which should have been more clearly explained upfront for visitors that are elderly, or who are perhaps looking for a more relaxing sort of vacation. Or even anyone that might wish for some kind of flexibility in the event of inclement weather.

Secondly, Kiloran, while helpful enough with directions, recommendations etc, can be fairly intimidating (as confirmed by the other guests that we met). Part of it I am sure is just natural efficiency and briskness, but this can be intimidating for those hoping for a more relaxed atmosphere. There is no time window for breakfast, a fixed time is given. My partner was about 10 minutes late, which was swiftly remarked upon. Dishes are whisked away VERY briskly at breakfast. We are reminded not to have food up in the room, not to put glasses down on the table (may mark the newly polished table) and to bring plates back to the kitchen. This might be the price one pays for a very well kept house but it did make one feel rather less than relaxed. There was no encouragement to hang around anywhere in the house other than our own rooms (we were actually not shown around the house, as is typical, and did not find out until much later that a sitting room even exists - door was kept firmly closed most of the time) and we anyway did not feel comfortable using it when we finally spied it. As mentioned, she was very helpful with directions and bookings, but one felt there was a little lacking in warmth or real interest in the guests. Maybe it was an off day for her? Many of the kind gestures like directions and milk left outside one's bedroom door were accompanied with typewritten cards-which is probably highly efficient, but does leave a little something missing...

Lastly, having stayed in the Cotswolds before in bed and breakfasts, one of the things I look forward to the most are the breakfasts, which one hopes to be organic, sourced locally etc. I have to say that for the price charged in this place, that would be a given. Instead, we were given sausages (chipolatas actually) from Tesco, and I truly doubt the eggs were free range or organic. (sorry this might be a personal gripe, I am quite particular about sausages from this part of the country, and for £100/ night, would have expected some Old Spot Gloucestershire sausages from the local butchers.) We were also not asked if how we wanted our eggs in the morning.

I am sure many people might be fine with all of the above, if you just want beautiful environs, sweet garden, a comfortable bed and a quiet place to stay at night, but I thought it might be wise to present an alternate view as well from someone looking for something ... a little more.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank travelmadness7
Oakham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

Granary Cottage, a self-catering addition to the excellent B & B Wren House, which already has many positive reviews. This one bedroom cottage at the entrance to Wren House has everything a couple might want. Small but well equiped kitchen kitchen (twos a squeeze!), pleasant lounge with woodburner, TV, WiFi & patio door to a small courtyard garden. Upstairs bathroom (with separate shower) and large bedroom with king size+ bed. Plenty of reading material and information on local amenities and surrounding countryside. Excellent location, very quiet with good access to many footpaths from the front door. An ideal spot for a few days quiet relaxation or a more active walking holiday visiting the many beautiful cotswold villages, most of which have good pubs for lunch!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donnington
Sheep on Sheep Street
The Old Stocks Inn
The Old Stocks Inn
#1 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Manor House Hotel
The Manor House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Moreton-in-Marsh
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,001 reviews
The Bell at Stow
The Bell at Stow
#1 of 22 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Wren House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!