“A lovely weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Donnington
Wren House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Donnington B&B and Inns
“A lovely weekend”
Reviewed 12 November 2011

My wife and I visited Wren House in October and had a wonderful weekend...in fact it is hard to believe that the couple who wrote one of the reviews stayed in the same place!
The house is a beautiful Cotswold's house, well located, with lovely bedrooms and very comfortable beds.
We too have travelled round the country and the world and fully understand that bed and breakfast in the United Kingdom is usually what it says i.e. not 24 hour hotel accomodation. As requested, we arrived in the late afternoon and had a fulsome welcome from Kiloran with tea following shortly afterwards. We went out for dinner, slept well and were treated to a great English breakfast in the morning. We left a bit later than the time requested but felt no pressure at all to hold to a deadline.
Overall, we had a lovely weekend greatly helped by Kiloran's excellent hospitality.
We'll certainly be back next time we are in that part of the country.
Andrew and Fran Vallance-Owen

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VOwen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Our party of four stayed at Wren House for the first two nights of our trip to England and Scotland. It was just perfect for us. Lovely surroundings, everything you could wish for in amenities, as well as a friendly and helpful host. The breakfast was fresh and delicious: it set the bar for the rest of the trip.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank SidneyE
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2011

If you're looking for a secluded oasis in the Cotswolds, you could do no better than The Wren House. Situated only a hop away from Stratford-Upon-Avon, this beautiful stone cottage, with one of the prettiest English gardens I know, offers a tranquil oasis even in high season. You can walk to The Fox Inn in Broadwell Village for a meal and a Donnington ale from the local brewery, and with footpaths nearby, you can enjoy a car-less day if you so desire. There are many single lane country roads in the area, which were practically car free even on the week-end. The hostess provides an excellent English country breakfast which can either be enjoyed in the pleasant kitchen or on a terrace overlooking the garden. Two happy labradors, a mother and her pup, supplied
furry entertainment, and the house is well stocked with books to read if the one you brought proves less enjoyable than you expected. There are also plenty of guide books
that suggest other footpaths a short car ride away.

Room Tip: The Pink Room overlooks the garden.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom2348
Reviewed 31 May 2011

Wonderful B&B. The hostess, Kiloran, is a gracious host. Her cottage is totally delightful. Her breakfasts are out of this world (I gorged myself on her homemade marmalade and bought some to take home with me for both myself and in-laws). I stayed here when I was pregant with my daughter - Kiloran could not have been more hospitable and made sure I was very well fed. A truly lovely find.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AureliaGrosvenor
Uckfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Having read the reviews on trip advisor about Wren House I couldn't wait to get there, some of the reviews are amazing. Perhaps I missed something, but I didn't find it so amazing. The look of house, the garden and location are really great - I have travelled to the Cotswolds for the past 10 years and stay in B&Bs each time so this one sounded amazing. I stayed in the twin room, there was no en-suite with it, as we were the only guests that weekend we could have been offered the top floor which can be a twin room and has en-suite. This room and breakfast cost £110 for one night so I was really expecting the works - my every need taken care of etc etc - absolutely no food in the rooms - there was no fresh milk outside our door, as promised in the mornings. We had a long day and wanted to totally relax in our room and maybe watch the television. There was no television just a transistor radio - it would have been nice to have the choice. This B&B has glowing reviews don't forget, so I consoled myself that I would get a breakfast which was out of this world. I was so disappointed as it was so overcooked. The next morning it was nearly the same - there wasn't anything great about it - for the price I would have expected a little more effort instead of fried egg, sausage, bacon. Kiloran wasn't the great host I imagined - she was prickly, she almost forgot to say good morning to me - I was completely amazed, she didn't invite any conversation about my stay - she is the host after all. Not worth the money - It promised so much - and delivered very little.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank BettyBoop29
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I have always been a fan of trip advisor, and if I read one review that is negative I would rule the place out. but, Alistar Sawday recommends it, so I thought go for it! You cannot find fault with any of the above. The website is well written but it does leave out a few things you should be aware of. twin bedded room has a bathroom and toilet down the corridor (although) very nice, you are led to believe it is ensuite. No eating in room and do not come back until 4, (this was no problem for us as Kiloran gave us a key), and no tv in room. We were asked what time we would like breakfast, our breakfast was cooked around 8.00 and put in the warmer until 9.00 - (burnt sausages, dead bacon and grilled tomatoes.) This seems to be the norm, cook early put in warmer. The rest of breakfast was fine. Paying £110 per night per room I expect everything to be freshly cooked! Kiloran is rather aloof and only speaks to you when she feels like it. (she may have been having a rough couple of days) who knows! I am also writting to Alistar sawday, he seriously need to re-visit.

Room Tip: Go for top floor bedroom with ensuite.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank suzywong190745
Reviewed 21 March 2011

I stayed in the last available room on one of the busiest days of the year in this part of the world as it was the Cheltenham Festival. I found the Wren House with ease and was enchanted by its cosy feel, and relaxed by a roaring fire with magazines before venturing out to dinner.
Despite it being a full house, the owner was attentive and thoughtful and although I was on my own, I was made to feel welcome without being fussed over.
Breakfast the following morning was one of the best I have ever had. The meusli, fruit compote, fresh blueberries and great coffee were fantastic but I was glad I left a little room for the delicious cooked breakfast and the best marmalade I have ever eaten!! Luckily I was able to buy a jar afterwards and, not suprisingly, it is made with a high fruit conent of organic Sevilles - what a rare treat!
Definitely a place to return to - well run, spotlessly clean and off the beaten track without being inaccessible.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Donnington
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Restaurant
Number Four at Stow Hotel & Rest...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
#3 of 21 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Bell at Stow
The Bell at Stow
#1 of 21 in Stow-on-the-Wold

Been to Wren House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!