Our family of 4 (kids age 12 and 14) stayed at the Fire Light Lodge for 5 nights. When we made the reservation, the accommodation where we stayed for the last 5 years was fully booked so we reserved in what we thought would be the “next best place” in town/village.
We came to Fire Light with an open mind and will provide pros & cons from the perspective that we stayed in “better” accommodation at Silver Star:
• Fantastic location IF you’re planning to go to the skating pond and/or Tube Park. The overall location of Fire Light Lodge is probably best for… families with young kids who may not ski all day long? Otherwise, the rest of us are walking, pretty much everywhere. Still better than driving, though!
• We loved having the bowling right next door, but it's a been strange to have decided to go with 10-pin bowling in a location that is more suited to young kids… 5-pins would have been more appropriate, but this worked well for us (and the staff was awesome).
• Very new, clean and modern. Our 2-bedrooms, 2-bathrooms condo had a great layout for our family, with the bedrooms separated by a spacious living room/dining room/kitchen. Beautiful vaulted ceiling in our unit and gorgeous view of the pond. The noise was not an issue for us, looking at other reviews, although the hotel was full over the week-end - albeit we were on the 4th floor.
• Customer service is simply top notch! Everybody was very helpful and went out of his/her way to accommodate our requests (usually for more kitchen equipment).
• Internet connection is awesome – reliable and fast (best we’ve seen in Silver Star so far). Good high definition TV in the living room.
• The entrance is really well set up with cubbies for ski gear AND boot heaters (impressive, a first for us). First time we’ve seen this kind of layout and it worked great.
• Similarly, there are no closets but the “open air” hangers worked well (hard to describe here, but the storage is very functional, that’s what we mean).
• Good size ski locker with open top (cool!) for longer skis.
• This is not really a “true” ski-in/ski-out location. The only way to “ski-out” is to put on your skis at the back door and push up the hill (a bit) to the Silver Queen (slow and thankfully short) chair. Then you have to cat track to the Comet Express chair or stay in Silverwoods (with no easy way out, I’m afraid).
• Want to come back home for lunch? Go to the Village, walk or push through said Village, walk through the parking lot… or… find a way back up Comet, ski down the wind swept slopes of Alpine Meadows, push on the overpass, take off your skis, walk through the parking lot and walk down two sets of stairs. Wow, my arms are so sore from carrying my skis all over, I might just switch to cross-country!
• OMG, the washer-dryer combo machine drove us INSANE! First, we marveled at the concept and watched it in awe, sitting on the toilet and wondering about the millions that we could have made, have we thought about this concept first. But then… the novelty quickly wore off as we realized that one load of laundry takes HOURS to complete, the maximum load of 8 pounds (man, where’s the scale to weigh my laundry?!) did not get cleaned very well, the color ran on a favorite white shirt (washing with… old clothes in cold water?!). Want to give up? Forget it: your laundry is committed, there is NO WAY to get that door to open.
• Bottom line on the washer-dryer combo: it’s a good concept, but maybe not in a condo unit where families will stay with expected loads of dirty, smelly laundry… we left with dirty, smelly clothes, thanking our karma of not having thought about this concept first, which would have certainly left us to bankruptcy.
• Did you know that the only thing you CANNOT get at the Fire Light Lodge is, ironically, matches? In order to fuel our chocolate fondue, we could not find a match or lighter in the place anywhere – and that is the ONLY thing that stumped the wonderful staff. We made a plea to our teenagers to run to the nearby bonfire at Tube Town for a “Quest for Fire”, but nobody took up the challenge: we raced through that chocolate like you wouldn’t believe before it solidified under our forks, which wasn’t such a bad thing after all.
• Yep, there are still no mats or carpets in the entrance and, honestly, who would want their lovely hardwood floors tracked with wet, ski boots?! This would be such an easy fix… in the mean time, we just left all our boots in the hallway.
• Both my husband and I got a bleeding kiss from the sharp corners of the master bed: bumper pads? Duct tape? If the bed looks good, it doesn’t feel so good when it’s gauging through skin.
• Drying racks would be a great addition to any “ski condo” where lots of clothes can’t go in the dryer (don’t get me started on the laundry again) – but we managed, this is not a big deal.
• A step stool would be necessary to reach all the high cubbies, kitchen cupboards and storage in the bedrooms. At 5’2”, “I” certainly couldn’t reach ANY of these. Nothing that a 6’2” husband and/or 5’10” son couldn’t fix, but still… I would like to be independent without ruining the nice leather chairs in the dining room!
• As for most places we have rented in the past, a strainer for the kitchen sink would be recommended. Not sure what people are always putting down there (folks, are you doing this at home, too?!), but the magnificent huge kitchen sink is often plugged :-(
• No fitness centre here (again, a nice to have that you… well, can have somewhere else at in Silver Star…). The common hot tub can get noisy, probably because our unit was just above it, but there is "quiet time" at Fire Light and this was just fine in terms of noise from outside (hot tub, skating pond or Tube Town).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the newest resort property at Silver Star. Smartly decorated condos located right next to the fun at the skating pond and Tube Town Adventure Park. Also featuring a bowling alley and restaurant on the lower level of the hotel. This is a perfect base for access to the Silver Queen Chair. Underground parking available at an extra fee. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your FireLight Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.