“You get what you pay for (but in a good way)” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bulldog Hotel Silver Star

The Bulldog Hotel Silver Star
Ranked #4 of 5 Silver Star B&B and Inns
Hervey Bay, Australia
“You get what you pay for (but in a good way)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived at 2pm, was aware of check in time, were allowed into our unit # 31. A big shock with repairs to hotel, were a bit shocked to find workplace in full swing. Unit very adequate for our needs. Great beds, lots of hot water, good size kitchen and lounge. Staff looked after our needs at all times. Listened to our complaints and concerns and acted on them. Overall we had a great stay. Not 5 star but very comfortable. Thanks to Andrew, Pauline, Theresa and others.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Don R

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ferndale, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

If you're looking to stay someplace cheap at SilverStar, pay a bit more and avoid this place like the plague. We just got back and had the following issues:
1) Pubic hair in bathtub upon checkin
2) hotel under renovation, they never let us know this when we were booking reservation
3) WiFi not working for half the trip
4) Worn out, sagging furniture.
5) Couldn't get to sleep, even with earplugs, due to drunks rampaging on the second floor, swearing, and slamming doors. This on a Monday night from 11pm - 3am.
6) Check in time at 4pm - weren't notified of this upon booking so we showed up at 1pm
7) Faux Arts decor trying to brighten a worn-out, 70s era interior
8) $20 food voucher to Mountain Katz restaurant - this restaurant was even worse than the hotel - "under new management," 1/2 the menu items not available, 2 different drinks not available, and both bathrooms not working. The place was empty. Next time stick to Long John's restaurant, MUCH better.

On the plus side, the hot tub was hot and no one else used it. The showerhead in the shower was also good.

Room Tip: Do not select any rooms and stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank b0rn2run74
BCflyer13, General Manager at The Bulldog Hotel Silver Star, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback however it is unfortunate your, well, unfortunate comments have reached this public forum rather than discussing your concerns here at the hotel with me personally, but we are in the 21st Century, and nothing can be done about that! So, here we go.

I see you booked through the Silver Star Resort's Central Reservations rather than our hotel directly. We have had discussions with Central Reservations about their lack of communication with guests who have booked our hotel through them regarding the restoration going on here, and I know I can say, on behalf of the Resort, we apologise for that oversight.

Also, I have in front of me the confirmation sent to you by Central Reservations. Please notice to the right of the underlined "Reservation Detail" our check-in time of 4pm. I hope I can convince you, however, to be sent another booking confirmation for a future stay. More on that below.

In terms of the housekeeping slip-up and the lack of wi-fi, all I can say is please get in touch with me directly on jason@silverstarmountain.com so I can find out which member of staff you passed these deficiencies on to (for reasons of coaching not disciplinary) because they should have been fixed for you on the spot. Both are unacceptable and I apologise for that. Basic cleanliness and wi-fi availability are staples these days, there is no doubt.

Regarding the furniture and decor, I will investigate the former, and yes, the latter is not for everyone but we believe we offer a good value-for-money product, as you can see by the majority of positive reviews on this page.

With the noise in the guest corridors that evening, we should have been more on top of it, absolutely. Internal follow-up has already been conducted. Unfortunately, however, sometimes on a ski hill there are those young guests who just have too much fun in the snow - and in the pubs - at too late of an hour, but they should have been read the riot act by the member of staff on shift at that time. Again, coaching rather than disciplinary unless it happens twice which then becomes a choice not to take action. I also apologise for this.

Finally, I will forward your constructive comments on to the restaurant across the village from us. Not good.

So, Mr. Nameless Guest (even though I know who you are), now comes the time for me, on behalf of the Resort and the restaurant in question, to ask if you will allow us to turn this situation around. As above, please email me so I can offer compensation for your, again, unfortunate visit.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jason Truscott
Hotel Manager
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Let me start off by saying this isn't a fancy hotel or ski chalet. It's quaint and cute and very functional. We had the one bedroom with alcove booked but due to flooding they put us up into two separate rooms. They bent over backwards trying to accommodate us and that was greatly appreciated. This is our second time staying at Silver star. One of their rooms can accommodate 2 adults and 3 children which is nice as usually for families of 5 you need two rooms or a suite. We brought our 2 spaniels with us and were thrilled we could do that. It isn't easy finding pet friendly accommodations. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. We did have challenges with the thermostat as the room would heat up even with it off. I think it was from the hallway heat (they keep it pretty warm). We just opened the window as needed to cool it down. Each room has a mini fridge. When they aren't under renos they offer a continental breakfast which is wonderful. We missed that this trip for sure. I can't wait to go back again once renos are complete. There is a small hot tub. They really could use a bigger one or an additional one as it only fits 4-5 people so can fill up with one family. No pool, but I don't think I saw any accommodations at Silver Star with a pool when I looked. The towels are large and fluffy. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are large. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you have kids, the room with the bunkbeds works well. It has a twin on the top and a double on t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Awesome location, great ambiance and dedicated staff. While it is not the flashiest hotel it makes up for it with its dedication to customer service and the comfort of its customers. It's unique decor is truly original and the value is amazing, i highly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2013
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We arrived in Vernon on the long weekend and were just looking for a super cheap motel to lay our heads. Lady at the Visitor Information center said the Bulldog had rooms on that night for $60, and it sounded intriguing. I absolutely loved the atmosphere, like a true mountain resort, with things to do and restaurants and shops.
The hotel itself was super tacky (in a good way) and had crazy paintings and pictures everywhere. The room was tiny, about standard motel fair, but it was clean and comfortable. I probably would not pay more than I did for this quality of room, but the food at the restaurant was amazing, and the service personable and awesome. We went bowling and hiking around, had a hot tub, and an early night. Got waaay more than we had expected, and for as much as we would have paid for a cheap motor inn in town.
Theresa was at the front desk when we checked in, worked in the bar all night as a waitress, and was back on the job first thing the next morning when we went for breakfast. Talk about a hard worker. She was totally great with us and all our questions.
Theresa

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

I haven't had the opportunity to stay at the Bulldog Hotel - but my husband and son are there at present; and it's my husband's birthday! So I emailed the hotel and asked them to 'make a fuss of him' ....... the complimentary creme broule served with dinner on the night of his birthday sure was a nice touch! Well done guys - I'm impressed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

best value hotel of the whole trip.
A long drive up to it but once there amazing,
only down side was that we arrived to late for dinner which closed at 8.00p.m. and we arrived at 8.10pm keys were waiting for us on the desk.
would love to go there in the winter.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Silver Star
Silver Creek Lodge
Silver Creek Lodge
#2 of 5 in Silver Star

Been to The Bulldog Hotel Silver Star? Share your experiences!