“Spearo's paradise”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in La Ventana
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Spearo's paradise”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I've been spearfishing at various international locations, and this was by far the easiest and most convenient trip I have made. It starts from the first moment you make contact. The staff at PV is highly efficient and respond quickly to both emails and phone calls. They will help with all forms of logistics especially with transport (shuttles, etc). Any questions you may have about the accommodation, fishing, or gear are all happily answered.

On location everything is setup to run smoothly. We woke up in the morning, ate a nice breakfast, and walked down to the boat where everything was ready to go and waiting for us. After a day of spearing, we returned to staff waiting at the beach to unload our gear and fillet the fish. With a short walk you can be back at your air conditioned casita for a quick shower and then to the restaurant/bar for some margaritas and fish stories. A little while later, diner is served with the option of eating the fish you've just caught.

The staff is great and there to help whenever possible. It goes beyond what is simply required for their jobs. For example, we had Ish as our guide for most of our days. After a day of putting us on great fish, he would hangout with us for a few hours over some drinks. He also was involved in cooking the fish and shared some of his own personal recipes. On one of the last days, I cut my hand and required stitches. Ish not only took me to La Paz for treatment, but also gave me a nice tour of the city. I had a fun time, and was almost happy I had to get the stitches.

We also had an unfortunate incident that was reasonably out of anyone's control. Tim and the staff at PV put in extra effort to make sure our trip was still and enjoyable as possible. It is very important to them that every guest has a great stay, and it is evident in how they run the place. I'll definitely be planning a return trip.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Shane W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 April 2014

i loved staying at the palapas!
stayed in a regular casita; perfectly comfortable, very chill, little hammock on the veranda, electricity, water cooler, wifi. short walk (20 steps from the brown casita) to the bathroom & shower (hot water)
the beach is right at the foot of the arroyo, down a set of stairs from the main palapa (restaurant, bar, meeting place) where you eat breakfast & lunch and can get a drink. loved the food too!
kiting was fantastic with great conditions, great instructor (dante) & friendly people. went on a fun spearfishing lesson on a pretty reef w/ them as well.

i will come back with anyone who wants to have a nice chill week, have great kiting, snorking, spearing, fishing, beachy trip!

ps flew into cabo, rented a car w/ no hassle from cactus car rental; drove there, parked and lived in my swimmies the rest of the trip.

Room Tip: brown casita is closest to bathrooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank slimjimslimjim
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I spent a week in one of the casitas. The showers and toilets were directly across from me which made it very convenient. The views from the facility are to die for, and the staff was very friendly and personable. I was able to use a snorkel and fins the entire week. I also had access to a paddle board. A complete, hot breakfast AND lunch was included each day. Any type of activity you could possibly want is available including hiking, biking, swimming, kite boarding, and fine dining. If you want a relaxed, comfortable, and beautiful spot to park yourself for a period of time, Palapas Ventana is it!!

Room Tip: If you don't mind having the bathroom and showers located separately from your accommodation, go...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Kathryn W
Chula Vista
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Like the title states, always a great time at Palapas Ventana. From Spearfishing season, kite season, and beyond the little town of La Ventana, the crew at Palapas Ventana have it covered. I've been here through out all the different seasons, and I always have a blast. This past president's day weekend, we enjoyed the Grey Whales and the whale sharks. AMAZING!!! If you are looking for a different style of family trip, I highly recommend it! Next time, I try Kiteboarding!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael P
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I had a great time teaching kiting with from Palapas Ventana for Kiteboarding Baja.

great staff, perfect spot for launching and teaching from
(upwind from the crowds) and beautiful uncrowded beaches.
solid recommendation, food and service was great.
cant think of a better setup for a travel kiter.

and they even arrange free downwinders for clients

thnx PV! R

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank coastalsoul
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I visited Palapas Ventana over New Years for a week long spearfishing trip. My friend and I flew into Los Cabos and took a two-hour cab ride up the Baja to arrive in La Ventana. In addition to arranging the cab, Tim (the owner of Palapas), also planned out an amazing 7 day trip for us on the Pacific coast. We only stayed at the resort for the first and last night, which was beyond beautiful, but the rest of the nights were spent in remote villages and an island on the Pacific.

Tim arranged for a guy named Stan to guide us around while we were there. Stan was the best guide I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I consider myself a beginner spearfisher who takes a trip each year just to stay connected with the sport. I probably asked more questions than your typical client and Stan answered every one without hesitation. I gained quite a lot of experience and with Stan's advice I was even able to double my diving depth and down-time by the end of the week. Once we arrived back at the lodging for the night, Stan would hang out with us to watch GoPro videos of the days catch. It was a great way to critique my own techniques and I was truly impressed with Stan's willingness to give advice, even after the fishing day was over.

Every day we went to 3-5 new locations. I don't think we speared the same spot twice and nearly every place we went held fish. Along with bagging some nice grouper, snapper, triggers, yellowtail and halibut, we were able to swim with sea lions, turtles and whales. It was truly the best diving that I have ever done in my life.

I plan to go back to Palapas this year for another trip filled with different species of fish. I don't doubt that Tim will give us the same level of care that we received last time. I highly recommend this resort if you want to land some nice fish and have a great time. You won't find a more hospitable staff or more beautiful views anywhere.

-Vince

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Vince L
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We have been going to Palapas Ventana usually twice a year for 7 years mainly to kitesurf. We have checked out most of the other lodging choices in La Ventana and this is our favorite lodging hands down. For kiting it is ideal, good uncrowded launch with great support staff who will drive you upwind for a downwinder if you desire. The casitas are very comfortable with good views. The food is excellent!! Most importantly the staff is wonderful. The activities are only limited by your energy; kiting, SUPs, kayaks, snorkeling, fishing, scuba, spearfishing, the most amazing whalewatching trips we have ever done, snorkeling with whale sharks, local hikes etc. Go as a guest, come back as a friend, we are heading back for another 2 week trip this month.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
#5 of 7 in La Ventana
CostaBaja Resort & Spa
CostaBaja Resort & Spa
#3 of 39 in La Paz

Been to Palapas Ventana? Share your experiences!